The human heart

John99

Banned
Banned
Is the human heart self sufficient, iow what criterium need be met for the organ to remain viable.

theanks

edit:aside from blood (lubrication)

Last edited:
i am sober. lets just say you dont know.

again,

does the human heart need any external forces to function?

from my limited understanding, the a-v node provides the chemicals necessary for the beating. The brain can alter the intensity (ie: beating faster when you're running, or scared) -- but is not necessary for basal function.

The heart does need, however, oxygen to drive metabolism in the cells to generate ATP (necessary to beat). It gets this from the lungs and then through the coronary artery. It also needs glucose for energy, which it would get, indirectly, from the digestive system. I'm sure there are some other chemicals too.

Apart from heart attack, electric shocks also can stop heart.

Other way, the stopped heart may be resuscitated by electric shock administered by cardiologists. Pacemakers are also used to stimulate heart electrically. An artificial heart too is a viable alternative.

Thanks.

oxygenated blood supply (or substitute), the SA node and AV node supposedly rely on nervous system but what if conditions are consistent and optimal?

Minus the presence of sensory stimuli would this render the nervous system obsolete\unessential or does a nervous system need to be present for basic firing rhythms?

We can eliminate the brain and lungs as necessary (provided an alternative is present to supply oxygen), what about the nervous system? of course the nervous system would be far too complex to replicate.

i dont think the SA and AV nodes directly rely on the nervous system for electric impulses, thats why its a myogenic heart. but for guidance i suppose the nervous system would help. you can keep a heart alive and beating in solution, which goes to say it doesnt need the nervous system to function in a basicstate. :m:

i dont think the SA and AV nodes directly rely on the nervous system for electric impulses, thats why its a myogenic heart. but for guidance i suppose the nervous system would help. you can keep a heart alive and beating in solution, which goes to say it doesnt need the nervous system to function in a basicstate. :m:

Yes, i wasnt sure about that. Functioning in a basic state is in fact what my question is based on.

Detachable brain and heart is a good thing. If we have a dozen plug-and play-brains and hearts at our shelf, life will be much easier.

Back