The Future of computing: Probabilistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrynox

Registered Member
Scientist in France and Singapore are working on processors mimicking the pattern of human neocortex, which seems to calculate probabilities and assigning weights to each of ones, thus push in a kind of exploration mode filtered through a cultural prism.

They intend to use such processors for applications that do not necessarly needs true answers, but where truer than false answers are acceptable, like in graphic GPU.

This will have for effects to decrease the work load of those processors and increase their efficiency compare to the old architecture using pipelines...

Anyhow, any ideas if you think that it has potentials?

For me I was thinking that neuronal computers where the thing that was mimicking the best our brain, but it seems not after all...

So where are we heading?

Scientist in France and Singapore are working on processors mimicking the pattern of human neocortex, which seems to calculate probabilities and assigning weights to each of ones, thus push in a kind of exploration mode filtered through a cultural prism.
They intend to use such processors for applications that do not necessarly needs true answers, but where truer than false answers are acceptable, like in graphic GPU.
It's already being done through software:
http://www.amazon.com/Fuzzy-Thinking-New-Science-Logic/dp/078688021X

Anyhow, any ideas if you think that it has potentials?
Potentials?
It's already in use.
Read the book.

if this then that?
what new about that?
fuzzy sounds like old shit in new clothes
allowing for more variables does not require gratuitous jargon

Read the book.

no thanks
author sounds like a pompous little fucker with new age pretensions
fuck him

Chips already works with this tech...

Actually, I sees in this a very efficient way to do computing, if you mix neuronal networks with this algorithm you could make a computer that uses much less energy to solve problems than anything we have now!

Simply because the computer won't need all the super calculus power behind today's super computers to find a possible, most likely answer...

if this then that?
what new about that?
fuzzy sounds like old shit in new clothes
allowing for more variables does not require gratuitous jargon
no thanks
author sounds like a pompous little fucker with new age pretensions
fuck him
Nope, nothing "new age" about it.
It's how humans think.
For example at point is a person classed as "tall"?
There isn't a cut-off point e.g. 5'9" is short, anything above that is tall - it's about relative values.
Hot/cold, deep/shallow...
It's merely an acknowledgement that real life (and thinking) isn't digital, it's not yes/ no, on/off it's sort-of and mostly and yes but.

Nope, nothing "new age" about it.
It's how humans think.

wrong
it is how kosko thinks
fuzzy=buddha=ying yang

For example at point is a person classed as "tall"?
There isn't a cut-off point e.g. 5'9" is short, anything above that is tall - it's about relative values.

yes there is
establish a median then categorize
nothing arbitrary about that

why hot or cold?

It's merely an acknowledgement that real life (and thinking) isn't digital, it's not yes/ no, on/off it's sort-of and mostly and yes but.

well alright
lets not get carried away tho

wrong
it is how kosko thinks
fuzzy=buddha=ying yang
I never noticed that crap when I read the book. :eek:

yes there is
establish a median then categorize
nothing arbitrary about that
Unless your friends are all sub-median and some of them are STILL taller than you...
Tallness is relative.

why hot or cold?
Thermostat settings...

well alright
lets not get carried away tho
Not?
That's what we're here for! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back