The Federal Government is moving to ratify an optional protocol to the United Nations

Asguard

Kiss my dark side
Valued Senior Member
The Federal Government is moving to ratify an optional protocol to the United Nations Convention Against Torture and is also considering bringing in legislation to formally outlaw it in Australia.
ABC Local

Attorney-General Robert McClelland has told Alexandra Kirk on ABC Radio's AM that the Government also considers the controversial practice of waterboarding as a method of torture.

The Government is consulting with the states about signing up to the optional protocol, which means UN inspectors could visit Australian detention facilities.

Mr McClelland says the move signifies that the Government is re-engaging with the international community.

"I think the United Nations will appreciate it's more than a gesture," he said.

"It's significant. It helps to facilitate and give credibility to the international human rights framework.

"It's quite hypocritical for a modern and advanced nation to call upon neighbouring countries to lift their standards in a number of human rights areas if we aren't prepared to set our own example."

While Mr McClelland admits there are already laws against assault and detention which protect Australians against torture, he says there are still benefits to enacting a specific domestic law.

"The international body that monitors the convention thinks it is desirable where countries can specifically state and declare a specific offence of torture and that's what we're also exploring and canvassing the views of the states about," he said.

Mr McClelland says the practice of waterboarding is "unquestionably" torture but would not specify if Australia's latest move was aimed at putting pressure on the US to outlaw it.

"We would like to think that the greater number of countries that sign up to these international human rights standards and adhere to them sets an example for all other countries without specifically identifying any country," he said.

Waterboarding, where water is repeatedly poured over a person's face, has been used by the US as an interrogation method.

However former attorney-general Philip Ruddock says the UN's treaty system needs significant reform, and to sign up to the treaty denies Australia's chance to influence any sort of reform.

"It is preferable if you have a system in which if people have complaints to be made, there is one body which deals with those issues - that you have consistency in decision making," he said.

"At the moment what you have is a multiplicity of bodies.

"Usually these things arose in relation to asylum claims. To countries that treat their obligations seriously, as Australia always has, that means that there are often quite significant delays, there is often overlap.

"And at times you can even get different interpretations developed depending on the different treaty body views."

Adapted from interviews by Alexandra Kirk

viewed 08/08/08 at 9:30

I think this is the optional protocal he is refering to
OPTIONAL PROTOCOL TO THE CONVENTION AGAINST
TORTURE AND OTHER CRUEL, INHUMAN OR DEGRADING
TREATMENT OR PUNISHMENT

(note: its a pdf file)

Now if the states agree this should have extrajudcical powers that would mean that any australian citizan who colaborated with someone who comits torture (including waterboarding) they would be commiting a criminal offence in australia. My expectation would be that its a class one offence (along with murder) which means a manditory life sentance but it could be a class two i guess (25 years max) but this would be unlikly. This would include any ADF personal who were complicit, wether on the battle field or not, including handing over a prisioner to a party who would water board them, any consulate, diplomatic or intelligence offical who colaboraed would be guilty of an inditable offence.

I wonder how the US is going to feel about the fact that when this comes into effect, extradition of "enermy combatants" either in australia or in australian hands will be illegal

I hope it goes through, It'll distance us and make the US look even more isolated.

The US will be increasingly isolated in international affairs.

actually you might find they are more pissed off than you would think. The SAS has been on loan to the US since before vietnarm because they are one of the best units in the world. if this comes into effect however the US will lose the ability to use them because if the SAS detain someone they wont be able to turn them over to US custody as long as there is a probablity they will be tortured.

It also could well have other political ramifications which will only apear latter (for instance it could mean pulling out of millarty action together with the US)

Domestically this is mainly going to effect a)how some sociopaths are tried and b)the imigration departments manditory detention. The first is nither here nor there and the second is all to the good:)

Back