The face of God

Dilbert

Registered Senior Member
I consider myself a scientist; i believe in evolution, i believe in a deterministic universe. But let’s say that god exists. Well, god created man; he created the human race to resemble himself, correct? Well, evolution has been proved to be correct, we have found corpses of "humans" which have been buried in a swamp somewhere for several centuries.

Some believe the intelligent designer concept, i do not, but i know that some of them share the belief in evolution but that god is responsible for it. Well, id like to see the expression on their faces when they face god and see a monkey, because if god created the "human" race to look like him/her then god has too be very hairy and perhaps even use his arms to support his walk, right?

Well, what are you going to say in, say, a thousand years when archeologists uncover a race of humans that actually DO resemble modern man? I.e., we ain't done digging yet, are we?

But no matter .......just ask yourself where "it" all began. And please don't just stop when it's nice and comfortable for you. Keep asking "...but where did THAT come from?" and keep doing that until you get to the very beginning of all that is possible. Then ask yourself, "Where did THAT come from?"

As you can see, you don't know it all .....even if you like to think you do.

Baron Max

You are right; every explanation of genesis merely leads to new problems.

Let’s say that you are right, god created everything that we know and hold dear. Well, who created god? Your solution is not better than ours, the only difference is that our is tangible.

Baron Max said:
Well, what are you going to say in, say, a thousand years when archeologists uncover a race of humans that actually DO resemble modern man? I.e., we ain't done digging yet, are we?

But no matter .......just ask yourself where "it" all began. And please don't just stop when it's nice and comfortable for you. Keep asking "...but where did THAT come from?" and keep doing that until you get to the very beginning of all that is possible. Then ask yourself, "Where did THAT come from?"

As you can see, you don't know it all .....even if you like to think you do.

Baron Max, this is the very old First Cause Argument. Dilbert has given his response but I shall add a little more. Bertrand Russell wrote:

I may say that when I was a young man and was debating these questions very seriously in my mind, I for a long time accepted the argument of the First Cause, until one day, at the age of 18, I read John Stuart Mill's Autobiography, and I there found this sentence: 'My father taught me that the question, "Who made me?" cannot be answered, since it immediately suggests the further question, "Who made God?"' That very simple sentence showed me, as I still think, the fallacy in the argument of the First Cause. If everything must have a cause, then God must have a cause. If there can be anything without a cause, it may just as well be the world as God, so that there can be no validity in that argument. Why I Am Not A Christian, Unwin Books: London, 1967, p 15

As for your hypothetical archeological find (I think you meant palaeontological) let's turn it around. What did you say when you learned that palaeontologists found an ape that resembled humans? (ie Lucy)

Back