The Existence Of God

UniMatrix

Registered Member
A friend of mine is trying to convince me of the existence of God.

He claims it is more probable that God exists than doesn't.

Should I believe him? Discuss.

some famous dude i forget the name of came up with the suggestion its prudent to believe in god anyway, since its not worth the tinyiest probablity that there could be some truth to burning in the fires of hell for eternity. In which case you would be pretending to believe in god, when you really don't, so you don't get burned up.

my point is, you either believe it or you don't, its near impossible to change someones point of view like this since whether you believe these things or not hinges entirely on a individuals fundamental perceptions of the world.

Some would say, though, that as one learns more about the world and his "fundamental perceptions about the world" come to more accurately represent the world around him he'll eventually lose faith. This being especially true when one realizes that belief without knowledge is unjustifiable.

Fear of punishment is what keeps a child in line, fear of punishment is what keeps a sheep in the flock, a truly enlightened individual should be free in action, governed only by the rules that he himself can personally see the validity in. One can only live according to their rational perception of the world, it's just so unfortunate that there are those who would let this be dictated to them, rather than finding it on their own.

Originally posted by venomx
some famous dude i forget the name of came up with the suggestion its prudent to believe in god anyway, since its not worth the tinyiest probablity that there could be some truth to burning in the fires of hell for eternity. In which case you would be pretending to believe in god, when you really don't, so you don't get burned up.

my point is, you either believe it or you don't, its near impossible to change someones point of view like this since whether you believe these things or not hinges entirely on a individuals fundamental perceptions of the world.

If you just choose to believe in God as a saftey net for yourself, then if God does exist you will end-up "burning in hell" anyways since you don't really believe in him you just say you do to try and save your ass. That really famous dude didn't think much before he made his statement did he?

You may not ride on the pearly gates unless your IQ is below this mark.

Originally posted by Increan
If you just choose to believe in God as a saftey net for yourself, then if God does exist you will end-up "burning in hell" anyways since you don't really believe in him you just say you do to try and save your ass. That really famous dude didn't think much before he made his statement did he?
That's true. SO I think what that means is that only the gullible make it to heaven. Those who question and think for themselves will not truly believe. So heaven is filled with dolts! All the cool people are in hell anyway...

Re: You may not ride on the pearly gates unless your IQ is below this mark.

Originally posted by Ectropic
That's true. SO I think what that means is that only the gullible make it to heaven. Those who question and think for themselves will not truly believe. So heaven is filled with dolts! All the cool people are in hell anyway...

If thats true, which logically it is, hell must be a great place.

From the movie "Hair":
(paraphrased)
"You don't need to worry about anything. It's the smart people that have to worry. God will take care of the ignorant ones."

Originally posted by Mystech
Some would say, though, that as one learns more about the world and his "fundamental perceptions about the world" come to more accurately represent the world around him he'll eventually lose faith. This being especially true when one realizes that belief without knowledge is unjustifiable.

Fear of punishment is what keeps a child in line, fear of punishment is what keeps a sheep in the flock, a truly enlightened individual should be free in action, governed only by the rules that he himself can personally see the validity in. One can only live according to their rational perception of the world, it's just so unfortunate that there are those who would let this be dictated to them, rather than finding it on their own.

and others would say the more one the more one believes because chaos and random theory could never come up with something so beautiful, intricate, and utterly f***ed up at the same time.

with respect

Originally posted by kyle_soule
You should post his argument. Perhaps you should introduce him to science:) and Occam's Razor.

The inventer of occams razor was a friar in the 14th century,
why should we take any notice of a theory against god when the originator was a god fearing person,this makes no sense,although looking at the principle theres nothing that great about it:

"When there are two competing explanations for an event, the simpler one is more likely."

"Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily."

In cosmology things often turn out more complicated,so the simplest route aint always the right one,lets get that straight,simplicity is relative anyway!

Even if we take Occam's Razor at face value: just because one explanation is more likely doesn't mean that it's always the correct one.
For example, say i have two dice,there is more chance of getting 1-5 between the dice than getting both dice roll a 6 in first throw,that dont mean that it can never happen.

Basically the whole occams razor thing is overused,it generally works for philosophy and particle physics although theres plenty of counter arguments there.

You've got a very good point, all of my favorite rock bands are apparently going to be in hell. Heaven is gonna' be full of glassy eyed sheep marching in rank and file, and hell is gonna' be one big mosh pit for all of eternity. Sure they'll get air conditioning in heaven, but if we've gotta' kiss God's big imaginary ass for our entire lives to get in, who gives a crap, right?

Remember, kiddies, blasphemy is a victimless crime.

Re: Re: You may not ride on the pearly gates unless your IQ is below this mark.

Originally posted by Mystech
Remember, kiddies, blasphemy is a victimless crime.

I didn't notice this when I read it before. That is my new favorite quote! :D

Back