The Ethics of Schadenfreude

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
The Ethics of Schadenfreude

You might have seen a video clip making the rounds on the intertubes these days; two Dutch television hosts, Dennis Storm and Valerio Zeno, underwent muscular electrostimulation intended to simulate labor pains.

Sarah Gates explains, for The Huffington Post:

In a video clip from the show, Storm and Zeno reveal why they took on this particular challenge, explaining that giving birth is the worst pain there is. However, since men can't feel labor pains, the two men used electro-stimulations to simulate contractions so they could experience the distress for themselves.

"Do you think the pain will make us scream," Zeno asks before the shocks begin.

One of the nurses responds bluntly: "Yes, it definitely will."

She wasn't lying.

Propped on a bed with electrodes attached to their abdomens, Storm and Zeno last through two hours of the simulated contractions. Though they try to laugh through the strain, the men appear to be in complete misery as they double over and clutch pillows tightly.

While the time span of the simulation was much shorter than many instances of real-life labor, Storm and Zeno appeared to get the full experience. In the end, Zeno sums up the challenge as torture and wonders if he wants his wife to go through the same pain.

Upon seeing the abbreviated clip, naturally the first thing I did was send it to a female friend, who responded that she laughed herself silly. After all, the question of labor pain regularly arises in the American "war of the sexes", and I'm quite certain ours is not the only culture to hear the point whenever someone asserts that women are inherently weak.

And, of course, my friend expressed the usual caveat, that it is not appropriate to laugh at other people's suffering.

Under most circumstances, I agree, but in this case, the only thing I could come up with was: Well, they did this to themselves, willingly and freely, and they're comedy hosts, after all, so I think it's okay to laugh at their agony on this occasion.

But there is also a part of me that says, "There is no way they could have known what they were getting themselves into."

The HuffPo clip via AOL is only a minute and a half long. There is a longer version (9.43) available via YouTube:

[video=youtube;7ZRIoZt-KP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZRIoZt-KP4[/video]​

And, hey, they're trying to laugh their way through it, too.

In the States, at least, there is a tremendous degree of schadenfreude that comes with watching the video; these guys are clearly experiencing severe discomfort, exponentially beyond their expectation. Their production crew is laughing; Zeno and Storm are trying to laugh.

But they're clearly in pain.

Ordinarily, I would agree with my friend that we should not laugh at other people's suffering, but the video, which is categorized as "Nonprofits & Activism", is ostensibly intended to make certain points.

Thus, I would suggest that laughter and a limited degree of schadenfreude—after all, they did not get the full monty—is more than simply acceptable, but actually warranted.

In 2009, Dr. Andrew Rochford underwent a more intensive version of the simulation; the best summary I've found yet comes via Mommyish:

From Bust:

Guided by an obstetrician, Dr. Rochford decided to personally undergo simulated labor pains through low-voltage electrodes attached to his abdomen. The voltage was carefully timed by a physiotherapist to mimic the contraction patterns of a woman giving birth for the first time.

Only two hours into “labor”, Dr. Rochford ranked his pain level as “an eight out of ten” and immediately accepted nitrous oxide to relieve the pain. At three and a half hours, he was wrung out–and his smiling (female!) guides informed him that most women would have to continue laboring for another nine and a half hours.​

Dr. Rochford has three children of his own and he wanted to undergo the experiment to see what his wife went through giving birth and to see if men or women have a higher pain threshold.

He exclaims in the video that he “hates contractions” and that the experiment is “almost too much to bear.”

After calling it quits just past the three-and-a-half-hour mark, Rochford apologized to all the women out there, including his wife, for thinking he understood what it was like to go through labor.

And the best quote of all:

“Men of the world, you have no idea. Leave it to the women. Forget the whole pain threshold debate. We have nothing. Women win. Men don’t. The end.”​

(Vawter)

And it is strange. To the one, comedy is cruelty, as playwright Neil Simon once put it. To the other, this can be problematic. We become accustomed to laughing at other people's misfortunes. It's morbid. It's cruel. And sometimes we laugh in the face of absurdity instead of at the death of another, but not always. Sometimes certain things are just funny, despite the cruelty of laughing. And that, I think, is what my friend refers to, and I acknowledge.

But these guys got themselves into it, and seem to have figured out the moral to the story. I think it's okay to laugh, especially as sometimes the cruelty of humor is often a potent communicative tool, just as many of us laughed at the comeuppance of a conservative American radio host who allowed himself to be waterboarded in order to make the point that it's not torture. He lasted only a few seconds without experiencing the full effect. And, yes, as this man was recovering from the experience, clearly shaken, we all laughed. And cruelly. But, I suppose, the schadenfreude also served a useful purpose, as one advocate of waterboarding came to understand what he had really been pushing.

Just as Storm and Zeno's suffering, or that of Dr. Rochford, transformed a person's outlook.

But the broader question remains: Does that justify our mirth? Does it justify our self-satisfaction and gratification?

Is it proper to laugh at other people's suffering? Obviously, I would say yes, but I have yet to figure out what the boundaries actually are.

Notes:

Gates, Sarah. "Men Undergo Simulated Labor Contractions To Experience Pains Of Childbirth For Dutch TV Show". The Huffington Post. January 17, 2013. HuffingtonPost.com. January 20, 2013. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...ions-guinea-pigs-dutch-tv-show_n_2498088.html

Vawter, Eve. "Dr. Andrew Rochford Undergoes Labor Experiment, Learns Childbirth Hurts". Mommyish. September 26, 2012. Mommyish.com. January 20, 2013. http://www.mommyish.com/2012/09/26/dr-andrew-rochford-663/

Will they have a similar study with women simulated with husbands' work accident pains?)))
As for laughing at their pains, that is acceptable in your POV Tiassa? Right?

My case and point? Don't put men in women's shoes, but if you do than have women walk in men's shoes as well. For the sake of the equality of the sexes, we all so dearly fight for in our newspapers.

Er ... what?

YourEyes said:

Will they have a similar study with women simulated with husbands' work accident pains?

Why would they need to simulate that?

Perhaps there is something I'm missing about these particular accidents, but what do you mean?

Well, yeah in this case. These guys got themselves into it for specifically comedic purposes.

But the boundaries of finding humor in such outcomes is a larger question. Had one of them gone into cardiac arrest, I assure you it would not have been funny.

Will they have a similar study with women simulated with husbands' work accident pains?)))

My case and point? Don't put men in women's shoes, but if you do than have women walk in men's shoes as well. For the sake of the equality of the sexes, we all so dearly fight for in our newspapers.

Work accidents are now suddenly restricted to men? That makes no sense. Women get injured on the job just as much as men do. Why should they simulate pains they already know about firsthand?

I am SO glad I don't have to go thru birth pains. I'd probably pass out before it even started. Women are definitely heroes in my book. Just for raising a good kid they should award every mother with a degree in psychology. Who understands psychology better than a mother?

Work accidents are now suddenly restricted to men? That makes no sense. Women get injured on the job just as much as men do. Why should they simulate pains they already know about firsthand?

I am SO glad I don't have to go thru birth pains. I'd probably pass out before it even started. Women are definitely heroes in my book. Just for raising a good kid they should award every mother with a degree in psychology. Who understands psychology better than a mother?

I have no doubt "mothers" are heroes. Remember not every woman is a mother, thou. Not every mother raises her child good either, otherwise we wouldn't have jails packed.

Yes work accident are not restricted to men, but men in an overwhelming majority have been working for millenia in a much more dangerous jobs than women. Going to wars for thousands of years was done by men, the very foundations of every city in which we live was built by men who risked their lives building steel and concrete on the high rise buildings of New York (as an example).

I see this "experiment" with labor pains on men as unethical and in no way do I expect these men to go into "cardiac arrest" as Tiassa has said to make it unethical either. The whole concept is wrong. In my eyes mothers and husbands are heroes in their own both equal ways and in no way is one somehow better than the other.

What ensures a success of a baby?

A healthy mother who goes through with pregnancy and the 9 months prior.

A father who goes to work and earns money for the family meanwhile and visits his wife when she needs him for support (remember that it is just as hard for men to see the process psychologically).

But than your counterargument could be...well in our age the women are the ones earning money and the ones giving birth too. Leaving men out of equation entirely. For those cases, why even discuss men? Since they had nothing to do with the process of children whatsoever.

Understand your family well. If you don't then there can be many misunderstandings and fights. Be with them whenever you can and get to know them better. A lot of families now don't get to know each other too well because they're too busy. Plan some family time, like, a movie, or a family game, or even as little as eating dinner together.

Respect your family. Your children, your wife/husband are now yours but remember at the end of the day they are also humans. They also have an opinion or suggestion. Sometimes it can be bad or good. Never be angry with someone's opinion, they have their opinions, and no one's perfect.
Give time. No one wants to be ignored just for some meeting or work. Give time to each and every one of them so you can understand every individual properly and this can prevent any misunderstandings in the future.
Treat everyone as equal. Whether its your maid or step child, they also deserve love and affection from you as you deserve from your wife/husband or from your own child. Treat everyone like you would want to be treated, and getting along with your family should be easy.
Never scream or shout at anyone. This can create hatred for you in their hearts. By simply making them understand can do a lot. Why waste energy when you can do it calmly.
Try not to fight with your siblings. Fighting can tear your relationship apart and you'll regret it when you get older. Treasure the time you have with your siblings, you can't get it back.
Never discriminate.
Learn to compromise. When you or someone else in your family wants the total opposite of each other, find a way to work it out to give you all what you want.
Help each other. When you see your sibling or parent needs help, help them. Doing little things such as holding the door for them, or helping someone with homework.
Organizing surprise birthday parties and celebrating any individual's achievements can really help.
Avoid using offensive and abusive word against each other.
Sometimes teenagers can feel sad or lonely. First ask them about it and if they don't want to share then its OK. Its just hormones. If you think that something is really bad, ask their close friends and help him/her.
Never ever break any promise. This can hurt them or make them feel that you are a liar and every time will break promises.
Learn to forgive.
Don't scold too much. Scolding can be good for them but never over do.
Make them realize in an easy way. If someone in your family has done something wrong or have betrayed your trust, make them realize their mistake in an easy way.

link: http://www.wikihow.com/Have-a-Good-Family-Life

Worst pain there is? I find that a little hard to swallow as the female body is designed to give birth and has natural pain relief built in ( the real reason for the "g" spot)

What the body ISN'T designed for is kidney stones, or being burned alive or torn limb from limb or any number of forms of torture that are sadly routinely used around the world. Even chronic back pain to the point someone is immobile and unlike labor they don't have the knowledge that this will end at some stage

Edit to add: also were the men in these cases given analgesics? Training in pain management? Etc
There are very few women in the west who would go through labor without some form of pain relief of there choice be it drug or some other form

This and That

Asguard said:

Worst pain there is? I find that a little hard to swallow as the female body is designed to give birth and has natural pain relief built in ( the real reason for the "g" spot)

What the body ISN'T designed for is kidney stones, or being burned alive or torn limb from limb or any number of forms of torture that are sadly routinely used around the world. Even chronic back pain to the point someone is immobile and unlike labor they don't have the knowledge that this will end at some stage

I can't wait for the day you try that one on a woman in labor: "It's okay, honey. I know. I've had a kidney stone."

But after you pass that kidney stone, how long before the love of your life persuades you to pass another one? After feeling its effects for forty weeks?

Edit to add: also were the men in these cases given analgesics? Training in pain management? Etc
There are very few women in the west who would go through labor without some form of pain relief of there choice be it drug or some other form

I have no idea what preparation these guys undertook, or if they just walked in blind. I'm not sure if Zeno took oxygen or nitrous, but it certainly didn't help much.

To the other, with your training, you obviously understand that the last person in the world you would want to trust with a question like this is a medical doctor like Dr. Rochford, of Newham University Hospital. After all, he's only an A&E Registrar.

• • •​

YourEyes said:

I have no doubt "mothers" are heroes. Remember not every woman is a mother, thou. Not every mother raises her child good either, otherwise we wouldn't have jails packed.

Yes work accident are not restricted to men, but men in an overwhelming majority have been working for millenia in a much more dangerous jobs than women. Going to wars for thousands of years was done by men, the very foundations of every city in which we live was built by men who risked their lives building steel and concrete on the high rise buildings of New York (as an example).

Yes, yes, we know. How dare anyone consider women without first accounting for the horrible suffering men endure?

I see this "experiment" with labor pains on men as unethical and in no way do I expect these men to go into "cardiac arrest" as Tiassa has said to make it unethical either. The whole concept is wrong. In my eyes mothers and husbands are heroes in their own both equal ways and in no way is one somehow better than the other.

Take it up with the men who decided they wanted to do this. Tell them how their opinions are invalid because they're unethical.

I can't wait for the day you try that one on a woman in labor: "It's okay, honey. I know. I've had a kidney stone."

But after you pass that kidney stone, how long before the love of your life persuades you to pass another one? After feeling its effects for forty weeks?

You DO realise that women with kids say that kidney stones are worse dont you?

http://www.momlogic.com/2009/09/kidney_stones-its_like_labor.php

Then, two weeks later ... the pain came. It made me collapse in the bathroom. The pain was so intense it made me sweat. At first I thought it was gas, but then, after throwing up, I thought it was food poisoning. Then I thought, What if my appendix burst? I called my doctor. She said it didn't sound like the baby, because the pain was coming from my left side (not my uterus), or appendicitis, since the appendix is on the right -- but I should go to the hospital if I felt it was necessary. Since it was midnight, I decided to take some Mylanta, tough it out, and try to sleep it off, but after eight hours of more pain with no relief, I went to the ER.

It was like labor ... the last stages where you're sweating, hunched over in intense pain, and no matter which way you move, it won't go away. They say it's the closest thing a man can experience to childbirth.

Read more: http://www.momlogic.com/2009/09/kidney_stones-its_like_labor.php#ixzz2Iar0EnSJ

Vivi - August 11th, 2005 4:05 PM

2 yrs ago I had a kidney stone that took 6 whole days to pass and my Mom, who also had them, told me that the pain I was feeling was worse than labor because it is 24x7 and more intense. Do any of you experienced both? How does the pain of a kidney stone compare to labor? Thanks.

Andrea - August 11th, 2005 8:25 PM

I had a kidney stone after giving birth to two daughters. Let me tell you childbirth has nothing on kidney stones. When you are in labor the pain is like a wave. The pain is intense but then it releases and you have a break. With a kidney stone it is constant. I would have 10 births before ever wanting to go through the pain of a stone. Your mom was right. Since you have had one then childbirth will be no surprise to you. Good luck!!:eek:)

brittoh - March 27th, 2009 12:41 PM

i am 23 weeks and just got out of the hospital after a 4 day stay from kidney stones.I still have more to pass.I have a child already and yes your mother is right. Passing a kidney stone is far more worse than having a baby.I was on strong pain meds and still was in so much pain

Jezebel - April 1st, 2009 11:27 PM

my grandmother had two children and 5 kidney stones. she swears the stones were incomparably worse. i passed a stone a few years ago. i seriously thought i had ruptured an intestine. i was terrified to go to the hospital but convinced i was dying just the same. it is even worse for men.

Need I continue?

So i guess the correction to your post would be for a women with kids to walk into urology and tell all the people there to suck it up because child birth has to be worse.

Not to mention the fact that most (not all but MOST) women in labor are in labor because they WANT whats coming next, people with kidney stones just want someone to kill them to make the pain go away

(Insert Title Here)

Asguard said:

Need I continue?

Well, I would say, "Oh, please do," but I'm far more interested in the ethics of schadenfreude than I am in attending the predictable whining about women, or random speculations on the Gräfenberg spot.

After all, you're nitpicking the statement of male television hosts who are dumb enough to put themselves through this for ratings.

Well, I would say, "Oh, please do," but I'm far more interested in the ethics of schadenfreude than I am in attending the predictable whining about women, or random speculations on the Gräfenberg spot.

After all, you're nitpicking the statement of male television hosts who are dumb enough to put themselves through this for ratings.

You want a serious discussion about this?
after all you DID put it in ethics (though maybe human science or med would have been a better choice) rather than free thoughts

Fine, pain tolerance is effected by a variety of factors one of which is previous exposure to pain. You get a solder who has had all there limbs ripped off or all there skin burned away and they will more than likely tolerate fairly high levels.

Mythbusters actually did an experiment on pain tollerance and the results showed when a blind sample was taken women tolerated pain better than men however when you took out women who had had children there was no difference because previous experience makes a difference.

Swearing also makes a difference, as does psycological mood, ie if your happy because you have all these high expecations for your new baby this will help you cope with the pain. Again this isn't present with kidney stones and if you happen to be suffering depression then forget about it, hitting your thumb with a hammer will be a 10 out of 10 please kill me (in GENERAL)

The Obvious Point

Asguard said:

You get a solder who has had all there limbs ripped off or all there skin burned away and they will more than likely tolerate fairly high levels.

Be that as it may, it is very difficult for me to imagine what that soldier must do on the front side in order for such an end to stimulate my schadenfreude.

I think its all in terms of context. If they were subjected to this pain in some sort of torture chamber built by some violent feminist group, I would not be laughing at the video or the procedure.

And yeah, I agree with Schadenfreude 100%. We're selfish beings. If you see someone lose their job, it makes you feel better about being unemployed. I feel like thats the same personal pleasure vs other's pain, except on a different scale.

And yeah, I agree with Schadenfreude 100%. We're selfish beings. If you see someone lose their job, it makes you feel better about being unemployed. I feel like thats the same personal pleasure vs other's pain, except on a different scale.

Except that OP chooses to see the pain of women only but men are somehow deserving it to begin with. As for idiots who agreed to these tests...well idiots abound.

Next up: Women Undergo Simulated 15 year coal mining experience for Dutch TV.

Except that OP chooses to see the pain of women only but men are somehow deserving it to begin with. As for idiots who agreed to these tests...well idiots abound.

Next up: Women Undergo Simulated 15 year coal mining experience for Dutch TV.

Well, I'm not sure if I agree with that. Childbirth is an innate biological process for women. Mining is more of a social role imposed on men. It's not like women CHOSE to be the childbearers of the sexes, but men sort of chose what profession they have. As far as I know, I don't think men have any necessary pains biologically. Maybe getting kicked in the groin hurts more for men than women, because we have more of a protrusion, but I don't think anyone is signing up for that study! :D

Well, I'm not sure if I agree with that. Childbirth is an innate biological process for women. Mining is more of a social role imposed on men. It's not like women CHOSE to be the childbearers of the sexes, but men sort of chose what profession they have. As far as I know, I don't think men have any necessary pains biologically. Maybe getting kicked in the groin hurts more for men than women, because we have more of a protrusion, but I don't think anyone is signing up for that study! :D

A woman chooses if she wants a child or not. A man who made a women pregnant has an obligation to that child by law and by biological requirements of continuation of his line. Men do have pains, these pains are from the much more risky jobs that they have to take in order to support the family. Wars are fought for the sake of the nation, but the husbands who went to war do it for their families. It is easier to see the pain of labor and childbirth than to see the pain of everyday work and requirement that lays on men to care and look after financially whatever it takes. If a man chooses not undertake such a task, he is equal to a woman who choose not to be a good mother to her child.

A woman chooses if she wants a child or not. A man who made a women pregnant has an obligation to that child by law and by biological requirements of continuation of his line. Men do have pains, these pains are from the much more risky jobs that they have to take in order to support the family. Wars are fought for the sake of the nation, but the husbands who went to war do it for their families. It is easier to see the pain of labor and childbirth than to see the pain of everyday work and requirement that lays on men to care and look after financially whatever it takes. If a man chooses not undertake such a task, he is equal to a woman who choose not to be a good mother to her child.

Very true, but I feel like that is an outdated social view of things. It's not really the case anymore that men go to work and women stay at home, its becoming more common that both parents have a job. And you don't necessarily have to choose physical labor as a job to support your family. And I agree that women ultimately choose to have a child or not, but if a couple wants to have a baby, its not like the man can take some of the burden of pregnancy from the woman.

Very true, but I feel like that is an outdated social view of things. It's not really the case anymore that men go to work and women stay at home, its becoming more common that both parents have a job. And you don't necessarily have to choose physical labor as a job to support your family. And I agree that women ultimately choose to have a child or not, but if a couple wants to have a baby, its not like the man can take some of the burden of pregnancy from the woman.

Ask yourself...with this so called burden of childbirth, comes something else. Fullfillment of life. Imagine part of you being born that was inside you, death is much less to fear when you know that a large part of you is now alive. For men its one sperm somewhere and not that strong of a connection with child.

I dare you to tell a woman who is in active labor that she should just suck it up because she has 'natural pain relief' in the form of her G-spot. I dare you.

Having been through labor, there is no "natural pain relief built in". That came in the form of a giant needle in the spine (which I can assure you, is painful itself and scary as each time you have a contraction, they stop moving the needle and demand you don't even move or breath through it), after being jabbed in the stomach with another strong pain relief which did nothing and puffing away on gas for hours on end.. all of which did diddly squat.

Having passed a kidney stone, I wouldn't say it was better or worse. With the kidney stone, I was given enough morphine to knock me out entirely and pumped full of fluid. With labor, I was told to "use the mask dear, visualise the end".. An end that I did not know when it would come...

Are you for real?

Are you suggesting that women are given training in pain management? Having been to birthing classes where they pull a doll out of a knitted uterus and watched obscure birth videos, I don't see those as "training in pain management".

I can assure you, with 100% certainty, that many do go through it without pain relief. And on some occasions, the pain relief does not work .. my epidural did not take, so I was essentially paralysed from the waist down and in active labor pain with little to no movement, where after about 15 hours of this, they decided to give me oxytocin, again without adequate pain relief as the epidural was still not working... And I can assure you Asguard, there is no "natural pain relief built in". By the time the baby was coming out, I was delirious and the pain was so bad, I couldn't even register it and no longer had the energy to lift my hand up to wave to the midwife that he was coming out. She only realised when she saw that I had become delirious (what they call that moment where the mother kind of spaces out and that usually happens right at the end as the baby is coming out - probably the brain's way of coping with the excruciating horror that is happening).

But you know what? You say to her "I know how you feel... I had a kidney stone once and that's probably worse".. I'll bet you $10 that by the time the baby comes out, your gonads will be in a jar by her bedside.

Kidney stone took about 8 or so hours, knocked out on morphine. Labour took over 24 hours, wide awake for the whole thing, in agony and inadequate pain relief... Hmm.. which would I prefer.. Decisions decisions..

youreyes said:
Ask yourself...with this so called burden of childbirth, comes something else. Fullfillment of life. Imagine part of you being born that was inside you, death is much less to fear when you know that a large part of you is now alive. For men its one sperm somewhere and not that strong of a connection with child.
What an interesting way to describe fatherhood.

But then again, you equate the pain women go through in child birth as being less important than the pain men endure at work....

Do you view childbirth as being as dangerous to women as men going to war?

Every day, some 800 women die in pregnancy or childbirth from complications that are very often preventable, such as severe bleeding, infections, high blood pressure during pregnancy and unsafe abortion. For every woman who dies, a further 20 women suffer debilitating childbirth injuries, such as obstetric fistulas.

[Source]

You do not think a woman's contribution to society as a whole is as worthy as a man who worked on a high rise building in New York? I guess 500+ or so women dying per day during childbirth just doesn't count, because well, she's a woman and men are building high rises and they are somehow more important. And the 500 figure is an improvement. The figure used to be much higher. And we are not even factoring in the fact that for each death, 20 women suffer severe injuries from the childbirth itself.

:rolleyes:

I guess I should not be surprised that you view becoming a father as being "for men its one sperm somewhere and not that strong of a connection with child"..

Men do have pains, these pains are from the much more risky jobs that they have to take in order to support the family.

And yet married men live longer lives (on average) than single men, and married women live shorter lives (on average) than single women.

It is easier to see the pain of labor and childbirth than to see the pain of everyday work and requirement that lays on men to care and look after financially whatever it takes.

Can you see the pain of everyday work and requirement that raising a child lays on the woman? Her determination to do whatever it takes to care for them?

Yes, I agree with the first half. introducing life to this world is a big positive compared to the pain of labor, but I don't think positives cancel out negatives. Like if I got stabbed in the chest and I won a million dollars right after haha

But I think having a baby born is not as unimportant for the man, it's not really a sperm anymore, the baby might have the father's eyes and his hair color, so I feel like the father won't feel like the baby is 70/30 between them lol, I think he'd feel more like its 50/50. even though the mother does contribute more genetic material

Back