The Ethics of Honesty

glaucon

tending tangentially
Registered Senior Member
Note:

I chose to start this discussion here, as opposed to, say, World Events or Politics, as I'm specifically concerned with the ethical ramifications inherent in this case. Digressions into political concerns are not within the scope of this discussion.

And now...

I heard about this story on the news yesterday morning on the way to work, and it's been running through my head ever since. In brief, a teacher was suspended for publicly deriding her students' character.

The article: Teacher Suspension

This decision to me, is mind-boggling. I couldn't agree more with the entirety of her comments and criticisms.

And so: the question: how does one determine when it is right to speak honestly?

I have struggled with this question for the vast majority of my life. It is a rarity that I will withhold honestly expressing myself, or, 'sugar-coating' anything. To be sure, this has had negative repercussions. Nonetheless, I maintain that, as a principle, little good can come from dishonesty.

First of all, this situation could have been simply avoided by the teacher.

--Her stress is that her skills are not prepared to handle the students that she is being ask to teach.
--If the high school aged students are not ready to meet her demands, then the district has failed to supply her students trained in the K-7 years to prepare them.
--The teachers are not prepared to teach these types of children.
--The parents are not prepared to have these children ready for school and a good future career.
--The government has failed to give these parents and their children any hope that there will be a future opportunity for them, to warrant supporting the teacher's efforts.

Nowhere in the preceding analysis does the high school student seem at such a level of fault, enough to be chastised by the teacher, who lashes out in disgust, as she has no answer to the dilemma that perplexes her.

(Blame Bush, the Republican repression, and "No Child Left (with a) Future)".

You asked for honesty...

Last edited by a moderator:
As for teachers - I know of several cases where teachers were suspended for being critical of their students online. One wrote something like "C7 are a difficult class to teach" and was suspended for that.
Teaching is also among the most stressful jobs; 20 years in the profession is deemed a lot.
Did you know that the official directives for teachers are that when two students fight, no matter how bad the fight, the teacher is not supposed to physically try to separate the kids, but should rationally talk them out of fighting. A while back, two 8-year olds were fighting in the school hallway at the local school here, with bloody faces, one being clearly stronger than the other, the other kids were watching. The teacher warned him to stop, he continued kicking the other who was on the floor, so she physically restrained him. The police was called and the parents of the stronger boy took issue for her using force to get him off the weaker boy.

Bottomline, be ready to expect idiocity from the school system ...

And so: the question: how does one determine when it is right to speak honestly?

I have struggled with this question for the vast majority of my life. It is a rarity that I will withhold honestly expressing myself, or, 'sugar-coating' anything. To be sure, this has had negative repercussions. Nonetheless, I maintain that, as a principle, little good can come from dishonesty.

I can relate well to this dilemma.

There is the concept of "no-nonsense honesty". It suggests that some things are better left unsaid.

I think lessons can be learned from some other cultures, esp. the Arab one (how to talk a lot and say very little), politics and the art of war.

It's not about sugar-coating, lying or witholding, but to focus on what would best bring about the desired result in the given circumstances.

The crucial issue in communication is often that people don't know what they want to accomplish by communicating.

For example, would criticizing those students like that teacher did really make them more accountable, more mature? I don't think so.

Note:

I chose to start this discussion here, as opposed to, say, World Events or Politics, as I'm specifically concerned with the ethical ramifications inherent in this case. Digressions into political concerns are not within the scope of this discussion.

And now...

I heard about this story on the news yesterday morning on the way to work, and it's been running through my head ever since. In brief, a teacher was suspended for publicly deriding her students' character.

The article: Teacher Suspension

This decision to me, is mind-boggling. I couldn't agree more with the entirety of her comments and criticisms.

From Canakya Pandit

Conciliate a covetous man by means of a gift, an obstinate man with folded hands in salutation, a fool by humouring him, and a learned man by truthful words.

IOW if you are in an arena that requires favorable intentions, truth is but one option ...

: the question: how does one determine when it is right to speak honestly?

You must live with yourself. Can you lie to others and then look at yourself in a mirror and see that you still are an honest person? Can you tell your children lies and then see yourself as a responsible parent? Can you make up stories about friends that aren't the truth just to get a laugh then still be at peace within yourself?

Back