The Differences Between Dogs and Cats

NDS

NDS
Registered Senior Member
Can someone please list for me all the differences between dogs and cats? I'm just curious.

Hmmmmm. I thought different dogs and different cats can have different chromosome numbers.

The wolf (including the dingo), coyote, jackal, and domestic dog all have 78 chromosomes arranged in 39 pairs. This allows them to hybridise freely (barring size or behavioural constraints) and produce fertile offspring. The wolf, coyote, and golden jackal diverged around 3 to 4 million years ago. Other members of the dog family diverged 7 to 10 million years ago and are less closely related and cannot hybridise with the wolf-like canids: the yellow Jackal has 74 chromosomes, the red fox has 38 chromosomes, the raccoon dog has 42 chromosomes, and the Fennec fox has 64 chromosomes. Although the African Wild Dog has 78 chromosomes, it is considered distinct enough to be placed in its own genus.

For example some cats have 18 pairs, some have 19. Which means chromsomes don't really mean much.

Dragon, I thank you for your response but I was looking for more of a description of what is different from observations of the naked eye.

Sounds like you answered your own question. If that's what you were looking for? It was pretty much an open ended question.

Back