• No.

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Do not know.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steampunk

Registered Senior Member
As you may know, there is another Hollywood demon possession movie out. So that is the insiprition for my title, but the subject matter is as it may pertain to the questions below.

Do you believe demon possession is real?

If so, using what you can of science, how can you help others better understand it, and what evidence exists of it?

If not, how do we explain the evidence of the bizarre behavior of those who are claimed to be in possession?

Absolutly not, never has anything been proven factually that this bullshit happens.

If so, using what you can of science, how can you help others better understand it, and what evidence exists of it?

See above answer.

If not, how do we explain the evidence of the bizarre behavior of those who are claimed to be in possession?

What "evidence" are you talking about? Just because someone says there's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow doesn't mean its true. So far there's not one fact that's ever been found that "demons" exist other than religious people claiming they do. All I ask is to provide us with a link that can prove that they are actually here.

If you think that someone afflicted with a mental illness is "possessed" by something then your not being very well informed because those people need medical help for their mental problems not some far fetched ideas that they are possessed.

As you may know, there is another Hollywood demon possession movie out. So that is the insiprition for my title, but the subject matter is as it may pertain to the questions below.

Yes.

That is like saying, use a colour to cut a diamond.

Well some people are just crazy. So i guess the scientific answer would be that all people who seem demon possessed are just crazy. So like all other things demonic possession can be denied if one wants to deny it.

I guess the only proof they can ever really have is if they themselves go through the experience of demonic possession.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Oh i was looking for an example of a exorcism from a TV series i watched of this guy who went all over the world to take part in everything occultist he could. He eventual ended up on Oklahoma and he ran into a Church that did exorcism.

Warning. I do not recommend you watch past the 5.18 minute mark. It seems to me the video of the exorcism has been copied and linked in with some teachings that i do not support. So just to let you know i do not want people to believe i endorse the entire video. Only the first part to the 5.18 minute mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJktccLkRGY&feature=endscreen&NR=1

If there were evidence of this God would not allow it. Lucifer can posses, but any old devil? Not a chance.

No. I'm reasonably certain that it isn't.

Of course I might be mistaken. Just because I believe in something doesn't make it logically necessary that whatever I believe in is true. But I do think that the odds are with me on this one.

A lot of that evidence is hearsay, like reports of dramatic UFO sightings. In my opinion, it's most likely explained as an expression of contemporary mythology and folklore, of popular quasi-religious belief.

In some historically documented accusations of demonic possession, the problem actually appears to be in the person doing the accusing. The accusor may be suffering from some psychiatric disorder such as schizophrenia, and become convinced that their neighbor or their child is possessed by the devil.

In some historically documented accusations of demonic possession, the problem actually appears to be in the person doing the accusing. The accusor may be suffering from some psychiatric disorder such as schizophrenia, and become convinced that their neighbor or their child is possessed by the devil.

Satan would probably be laughing his arse off in those circumstances, since schizophrenia itself is quite clearly a case of demonic possession rather than a psychological or neurological disorder. In other words, you would have a person (possessed by a demon [or demons]) running around accusing other innocent people of being possessed by demons.

Adstar:

Yes.

So like all other things demonic possession can be denied if one wants to deny it.

So, what you're saying is that you believe in it because you want to and not because there's any actual evidence for it. Certainly not any scientific evidence.

The default assumption is of course that all cases of alleged possession were/are psychological. It is not possible to address the notion of actual possession with science. One would have to have a test for evil. By assumption, no such thing exists, so the study of demonic possession is implicity ruled out.

Adstar:

So, what you're saying is that you believe in it because you want to and not because there's any actual evidence for it. Certainly not any scientific evidence.

I believe in it because i believe in the Scriptures. And the scriptures tell me that demonic possession happens.

Want to believe it? No. I wish it was not real.

Belief:

However, even educated people, well aware of the process by which beliefs form, still strongly cling to their beliefs, and act on those beliefs even against their own self-interest. In Anna Rowley's Leadership Theory, she states "You want your beliefs to change. It's proof that you are keeping your eyes open, living fully, and welcoming everything that the world and people around you can teach you." This means that peoples' beliefs should evolve as they gain new experiences.

Fact:

1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.

WIKI

Yes, but not regarding the type of demon i think you mean.

struggles and problems that could be personified as a "demon" internally i think exist, and people may percieve said problems as being initiated or continued by this "demon" but its entirely internal, not some kind of external presence. It's easier to personify problems. I would explain claimed demon possessees (is that a word?) as severely mentally ill and delusional. Effects that may arise around them in the external world could also be attributed to apsects of the mind that we don't understand yet, such as some of the parapsychological ideas out there.

I have no personal experience of demon possession though so this is my best guess using the knowledge i have just now.

Belief:

However, even educated people, well aware of the process by which beliefs form, still strongly cling to their beliefs, and act on those beliefs even against their own self-interest. In Anna Rowley's Leadership Theory, she states "You want your beliefs to change. It's proof that you are keeping your eyes open, living fully, and welcoming everything that the world and people around you can teach you." This means that peoples' beliefs should evolve as they gain new experiences.

This makes sense. I have been open to theories on life, but I have never scene anything close to concrete, about God creating life, or about a natural explanation other than my personal thoughts. So I listen to the "voice" who is quite helpful to me. I can tell you from experience belief, and faith are two different animals. Belief is almost like a fallen angel a lot like faith. Belief is believing in something, but not enough to fight for it. Faith is actively believing in something so much you can't not fight in its name. At the same time faith is not ignorant, or foolish, so you have to listen to his pov.

Back