the design of heart valves

Hevene

Registered Senior Member
In my biology class, I have this question which asks me the functional significance for the differences in the structures of atrioventricular and semilunar valves. Can someone give me some inputs?

yeah i can give you the answer. i wrote it down in your textbook. forgot which page though, so use the index.

I have a 2000 word lab report to do for biology, if you guys could do it that would be really great.
It'd be particularly impressive given that I can't give you any of the data from the experiments that the lab report is supposed to be based on (I didn't feel like taking notes), I'd be totally blown away if you managed to get it done considering that obstacle.
Thnx in advance.

I guess I didn't make my question clear. I know what AV and semilunar valves are, but I want to know why they have different design given their function is the same.

Yes, their job is similar in that they both prevent blood from flowing in the wrong direction. However, I would imagine the reinforced structure of the semilunar valves is due to the more intense pressure involved in the ventricle contraction.

Back