The definition of life

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
I'd like all those who are interested in defining life to have at it.

What is life? What defines something as live or not live?

Vitalists and biogenic petroleum geologists define life as anything containing a carbon atom, thus the term "organic" chemistry.

Only if something has all of the following characteristics it is called life (I took these from Wiki by the way):

1. Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, sweating to reduce temperature.

2. Organization: Being composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.

3. Metabolism: Consumption of energy by converting nonliving material into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.

4. Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of synthesis than catalysis. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter. The particular species begins to multiply and expand as the evolution continues to flourish.

5. Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.

6. Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism when touched to complex reactions involving all the senses of higher animals. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun or an animal chasing its prey.

7. Reproduction: The ability to produce new organisms. Reproduction can be the division of one cell to form two new cells. Usually the term is applied to the production of a new individual (either asexually, from a single parent organism, or sexually, from at least two differing parent organisms), although strictly speaking it also describes the production of new cells in the process of growth.

Oily said:
Vitalists and biogenic petroleum geologists define life as anything containing a carbon atom, thus the term "organic" chemistry.
My pencil lead is alive? And the diamond grit on the emery paper I got from the hardware store?

Thus the term: "moronic chemistry"?

What is life? What defines something as live or not live?

A reduction or reversal of entropy:

In 1964, James Lovelock was among a group of scientists who were requested by NASA to make a theoretical life detection system to look for life on Mars during the upcoming space mission. When thinking about this problem, Lovelock wondered “how can we be sure that Martian life, if any, will reveal itself to tests based on Earth’s lifestyle?” [6] To Lovelock, the basic question was “What is life, and how should it be recognized?” When speaking about this puzzling issue with some of his colleagues at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, he was asked, well what would you do to look for life on Mars? To this Lovelock replied:

“I’d look for an entropy reduction, since this must be a general characteristic of life.”

Thus, according to Lovelock, to find signs of life, one must look for a “reduction or a reversal of entropy.

Link.

My pencil lead is alive? And the diamond grit on the emery paper I got from the hardware store?

Thus the term: "moronic chemistry"?
Moronic indeed...LOL.

Here is a moron who claims molecular diamonds are alive: http://www.searchanddiscovery.net/d...ch_calgary/abstracts/extended/mello/mello.htm

the structurally related diamondoids in oil show high levels of isotopic fractionation in the range of -20 to -30 per mil, the same as most true biomarkers, indicating diamondoid derivation from enzymatic ally-created lipids

My learned colleagues are requested to shower us with their viewpoints from their ventral orifices, rather than their dorsal ones.

Molecular diamonds have never been alive and never will be alive. Yet Mello claims they are derived from "enzymatic lipids" LOL. Read it and weep...:bawl:

Molecular diamonds have never been alive and never will be alive. Yet Mello claims they are derived from "enzymatic lipids" LOL. Read it and weep...:bawl:

There is a difference between something being of biological origin and something being alive.
For instance saliva is of biological origin but it is not alive.

There is a difference between something being of biological origin and something being alive. For instance saliva is of biological origin but it is not alive.
Granted I was saying alive as hyperbole when really I meant biological.

I'll bet you anything we could synthesize saliva in a lab using abiotic chemical components.

The same was done by Wohler with urine in 1828 using inorganic ammonium cyanate NH4OCN, in what is now called the Wohler synthesis.

Granted I was saying alive as hyperbole when really I meant biological.

I'll bet you anything we could synthesize saliva in a lab using abiotic chemical components.

The same was done by Wohler with urine in 1828 using inorganic ammonium cyanate NH4OCN, in what is now called the Wohler synthesis.

Ok, that finally clears things up at least somewhat.
Fact remains that your saliva is a biological product, meaning it is produced by a living organism (namely you).

Similarly, when I say oil is of biological origin I do not mean to say that oil is alive or that carbon is alive (of which you have accused me in the past), I merely mean that oil was formed out of biological products (in this case that it was once part of a living creature).

Back