The Damage so-called Psychics can do

SkinWalker

Archaeology / Anthropology
To start with, this is an article that's on-topic and demonstrates the hope and anguish that a loved-one can experience when faced with a loss and the slime-ball con-artists that call themselves "pyschic" who take advantage of them.

I ask: what's the difference between a so-called psychic, claiming to be able to offer hope and closure to a family that's lost a loved one and a con-artist, preying on the elderly with claims of "sealing" their driveway with waste-oil?

Never has an alleged psychic ever proved to have any special "abilities" and never has one clearly offered information that solved a criminal mystery, such as the location of a body. I challenge any proponent of this nonsense to cite a reference, hopefully one available via the internet so that we may examine and discuss it.

LAPD Studies

"The conclusion of the 1979 LAPD study was that: The research data does not support the contention that psychics can provide significant additional information leading to the solution of major crimes."

"The data provided no support for the belief that the identified `sensitives' could produce investigatively useful information. Additionally, the data also failed to show that the psychics could produce any information relating to the cases beyond a chance level of expectancy."

-- http://www.totse.com/en/technology/science_technology/lapd.html

I've been in countless discussions with proponents of "psi" (who never seem to have the ability themselves) that claim there are "thousands of cases" where psychics have solved cases for police forces. I decided to look. I checked Google and Lexis/Nexis. Nothing substantial. When I say to the "psi" proponent, "where?" their reply is almost always, "all you have to do is look; use google; man, do I have to do your research?"

In answer to the latter: yes. If the "psi" nutters want to keep claiming that it is so and that the con-artists that pass themselves off as "helping" the bereaved (Sylvia Browne, John Edwards, et al) are legit, then yes, they have to do the research and show it to be true.

Psychic Fraud

Gypsy arrested on Illinois theft warrant
FTC Says Psychic Hotline a Fraud
Uri Geller - A Psychic Fraud

Oh. My. God.

This is from the gypsy story:
Police say she convinced the older woman that her luck would change if she cleansed her life savings of $80,000. The woman withdrew the money, all in $100 bills, and gave it to Demetro, police said.

During a seance involving vegetables and live lizards, the cash was wrapped into a white handkerchief, Gaylor said. The women were asked to stare at a candle, police said.

They were given back the handkerchief and told to place it under a bed for several days, police said. "When they open up the (handkerchief), they find cut-up newspaper," Gaylor said.
Oh! For Pity's SAKE!

Now let's look at the FTC "says psychic is a fraud" case. Turns out that the psychic is Miss Cleo, whom I understand is very well known in the States. But it seems that what exercises the wrath of the Federal Trade Commission is not that this woman makes stuff up out of her head and then tells it to people as gospel truth - testable claims that must come up as dud time and time again, and therefore surely actionable under Trades Descriptions or Truth in Advertising laws - but that she advertises some of her services as free and then charges people money for them! Miss Cleo is being charged that she told people her telephone line was really free when it wasn't. Why isn't she being charged that she spouts utter utter bullshit!?

Should people be allowed to fuck themselves over by being so stupid as to listen to and believe this crap in the first place? I say yes. And then, any money that is retrieved if the perp is caught should be spread out among various skeptics societies.

i am a believer in "psi" phenomena, but i believe that most claims of psychic activity ARE a fraud meant to bilk folks out of hard earned money.

the only way to find if it is real or not is by scientific experimentation and demonstration, like the adventure crunchy cat and i are embarking on this autumn.
we will be sure to post our results for all to scrutinize. :)

People who are trying to make money off of the power are frauds, plain and simple. The fact is, it only works when you need it to, to prepare you for something or warn you for something. Therefore, these psychics, while currently within the law, should not be allowed to continue for psychological reasons, as they are a psychological threat to some peoples' freedom (the stupid masses) and power often lies in these people (the stupid masses). Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Years ago I reaslised the potential for fraud and stopped doing readings and the like for any one.
The main reason is that sooth is out of bounds is that you run the potential risk of messing up someone elses plans...

Real psychics never do that because they know the power of cause and effect, it will come back to you. Maybe some of them are in distress and takes a shot at it, thinking it will not come around until next life.
Most of the "so called" -psychics that rip people off have no psychic abilities at all.

There's no evidence to support the notion that any of the so-called "psychics" have any special "abilities."

Comic books and fantasy. Cool television shows like Medium and the fiction of tabloids... but no evidence.

The problem is that most Psychics make the mistake themselves of thinking their abilities are in addition to their normal abilities when in fact they are simply an amplification of pre-existing abilities that nearly all conscious persons have.
It is this amplification of pre-existing psychic ability [ which is normally deemed as "normal" ability and not psychic] that is a very tricky business....Even the ability to think per se can be amplified in ways that can send a person to a psychiatric institution.
The very fact that I am typing this post and you are reading it is evidence of psychic ability but normally deemed as non psychic.

SkinWalker,

What about that Jamaican psychic, Miss Cleo? She was arrested and imprisoned for being nothing more than an actress born in good ol' California, yes, but what's the harm in a pseudo-psychic charging $5 per minute for a "sleazy, scripted service"?

cleo_topnews_011602.jpg

Oops. It says for entertainment only at the bottom. I guess even psychics need disclaimers.

superluminal said:
Should people be allowed to fuck themselves over by being so stupid as to listen to and believe this crap in the first place? I say yes. And then, any money that is retrieved if the perp is caught should be spread out among various skeptics societies.

Good point.

§outh§tar said:
Good point.
not much different to those sleazy adds for text messaging friendships and hot talk.......if theres a buck in it ....well....the so called psychic hotlines are just the same thing.....Must be a lot of idiots out there to keep em in business....those adverts don't come cheap....

Back