The concept of God?

svnarax

Registered Member
Hi all,
I am a newcomer to this forum. I came across this forum while searching for some facts about the general theory of relativity. The topic about God and the creation of the universe interested me so much that I decided to join the forum straight away.

I would like to share some of my thoughts on this topic.

Though the origin of the concept of God is lost in history due to all the fantastic tales that have been attached to it I can think of three possibilties that look like more than just possibilities.

1. Any phenomenon that is unexplainable in the current context (ie with the amount of information that we possess) is attributed to God.

This can be seen in the greek,egyptian,indus valley civilisations where nature was considered as God as nobody in that domain could properly explain phenomena like lightning,darkness,many such natural phenomena.

2. One other theory is that of ethics and morality. We humans tend to divide incidents into morally right (or wrong) events in addition to logically right(or wrong) events.

Logically speaking there is nothing right or wrong in doing morally right or wrong things. For eg: logically it is neither right nor wrong in harming a living creature but it is morally wrong to do the same thing.

If there had been no such things as ethics then it would have been the death of civilisation. So there arose a need to formulate a set of rules that prevent the harming of any other living being directly and indirectly by us. Thus at each milestone of history where humanity was tending towards oblivion there came great leaders like Mosses,Jesus,Buddha,Mahavir,etc. to reinforce the set of rules. Kindness to all was the message that all such leaders conveyed.

3. The third point is the philosophical point.

Okay accepted science can explain a lot of things with some basic axioms and rules but where does it all start?
How did the universe come into the picture all on its own. Here we are tempted to say that God created the universe but again aren't we evading the point?
So God creates the universe but who creates God or who creates the guy who created God and so on.
Clearly this is no solution to the question. Ok you might say that God is beyond our universe and so our cause-effect theorem does not hold in his domain.
So there is no need for somebody to create God. He is there on his own.
Then why go to god at all if you are to apply this argument. Why can't we say that at the moment the universe was created our cause-effect principle does not hold.

So why not conclude that there is no need for the universe to GET created because at that point of time causality does not hold? It's there on its own.

I think you must have by now guessed my stand. Yes I'm a non-believer. But I do believe in kindness and I will never forget the lessons that Jesus,Krishna,Buddha have taught us.

Anyway sorry for boring you guys with such a long reflection on the universe.

-svnarasx

Romans 1:
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

svnarax said:
Hi all,
I am a newcomer to this forum. I came across this forum while searching for some facts about the general theory of relativity. The topic about God and the creation of the universe interested me so much that I decided to join the forum straight away.

I would like to share some of my thoughts on this topic.

Though the origin of the concept of God is lost in history due to all the fantastic tales that have been attached to it I can think of three possibilties that look like more than just possibilities.

1. Any phenomenon that is unexplainable in the current context (ie with the amount of information that we possess) is attributed to God.

This can be seen in the greek,egyptian,indus valley civilisations where nature was considered as God as nobody in that domain could properly explain phenomena like lightning,darkness,many such natural phenomena.

2. One other theory is that of ethics and morality. We humans tend to divide incidents into morally right (or wrong) events in addition to logically right(or wrong) events.

Logically speaking there is nothing right or wrong in doing morally right or wrong things. For eg: logically it is neither right nor wrong in harming a living creature but it is morally wrong to do the same thing.

If there had been no such things as ethics then it would have been the death of civilisation. So there arose a need to formulate a set of rules that prevent the harming of any other living being directly and indirectly by us. Thus at each milestone of history where humanity was tending towards oblivion there came great leaders like Mosses,Jesus,Buddha,Mahavir,etc. to reinforce the set of rules. Kindness to all was the message that all such leaders conveyed.

3. The third point is the philosophical point.

Okay accepted science can explain a lot of things with some basic axioms and rules but where does it all start?
How did the universe come into the picture all on its own. Here we are tempted to say that God created the universe but again aren't we evading the point?
So God creates the universe but who creates God or who creates the guy who created God and so on.
Clearly this is no solution to the question. Ok you might say that God is beyond our universe and so our cause-effect theorem does not hold in his domain.
So there is no need for somebody to create God. He is there on his own.
Then why go to god at all if you are to apply this argument. Why can't we say that at the moment the universe was created our cause-effect principle does not hold.

So why not conclude that there is no need for the universe to GET created because at that point of time causality does not hold? It's there on its own.

I think you must have by now guessed my stand. Yes I'm a non-believer. But I do believe in kindness and I will never forget the lessons that Jesus,Krishna,Buddha have taught us.

Anyway sorry for boring you guys with such a long reflection on the universe.

-svnarasx

Romans 1:
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
It's nice that you have taken in the message of Jesus allthough you don't believe.

Though the story of God isn't lost, it's within us. From the first person to the last. It's like a hologram, everyone is a part of it, and each new one is still a part of the same image. Since you don't believe I can take it from a evolutionary standpoint, where we evolved not only because of outside influences but also evolved because of the way that we ourselves interacted with eachother, everything has been written in stone so to speak. Cause even if there was a change and the previous ways are seemingly lost, we can still trace back the purpouse of the change to see what lay behind. However the "biological memory" is getting less and less detailed (or is it? maybe the story is told between each one of us?).

Back