The Aleph

Circe

Registered Senior Member
Hello again,

I need your precious input again, guys ;) I posted this on another board a while ago, but didn't really get many responses.

Georg Cantor dealt with infinite sets and he tried to establish that any part of the set is as great as the whole. He represented them with the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, Aleph.

Another person that brought up the concept of aleph was Jorge Luis Borges. He was most likely influenced by Cantor's work as well as by many esoteric books he had access to (he was a librarian).

To Borges aleph represents - as he's trying to describe it - one of the points in space and time that contains all other points," the only place in the Universe where all places are, seen from every angle, each standing clear, without any confusion or blending, the microcosmos of the alchemists and Kabbalists." Borges further writes: "As is well known, the Aleph is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet. For the Kabbala, the letter stands for the En Soph, the pure and boundless godhead; it is also said that it takes the shape of a man pointing to both heaven and earth, in order to show that the lower world is the map and mirror of the higher.."(check out the Bahomet drawing by Levi).

Can anyone provide me with more info regarding the Aleph? Or direct me to books or websites dealing with this subject?

Originally posted by Circe
Can anyone provide me with more info regarding the Aleph? Or direct me to books or websites dealing with this subject?
The Aleph is also the name for an Egyptian hieroglyph: first sign pictured here (an eagle). It's value is written kinda like 3, and has an rough 'a' value, I think. You could try google to find out more about the origin of it, though there's not that many relevant sites.

Here's a site about the Hebrew sign, as well as here.

It's also a heavy metal band. :D

Firefly,

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember that this hieroglyph (an eagle or a hawk) was also used to write the name Isis - it's possible that I am making that up, though. ;)

Isis in Ancient Egyptian was pronounced Iset, and there's no a sound in that, so yes, you are making it up. :)

Back