Ten Commandments in Supreme Court

Tralfaz

Registered Member
With the high court of the American judicial system hearing cases about the placement of the Ten Commandments on government property, I was wondering what everyones opinions on the issue was.

-Thanks-

I think any monuments or statues that are already in place are OK, a part of our history, but no new monuments to the ten commandments should be publically funded, or installed in public buildings. Democracy was created by pagans, and it was only after the dark days of the Black Death and Christian rule, that scholars rediscovered greek ideals.

A few exerpts from a pertinent article:

Ben Franklin was a member of the Hell-Fire Club. Franklin wrote to Ezra Stiles, the president of Yale, saying he doubted the divinity of Christ, although he believed in his moral teachings. Franklin in his disdain for Christianity once said that "Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."

George Washington, a professed Deist, refused either to take communion or to kneel in church. Washington stated that "The government of the United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian religion. The United States is not a Christian nation any more than it is a Jewish or Mohammedan nation."

John Adams, The second president of the U.S. once said "The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity," Adams once speculated, "This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it."

In 1802 Thomas Jefferson, who drafted the Constitution, wrote "I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." During the eight years of his Presidency, Jefferson refused to issue a Thanksgiving proclamation. Jefferson later declared, "Calvin's religion was demonism. The God of Christianity is a being of terrific character-cruel, vindictive, capricious and unjust. The Christian God is a hocus-pocus phantasm of a God, like another Cerebus, with one body and three heads."

Jefferson relates a story about the drafting of the Bill of Rights: "Where the preamble (of the Bill of Rights) declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting the words Jesus Christ, so that it should read "a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion"

The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and the Mohammedan, the Hindoo and the Infidel of every denomination."

James Madison, fourth president of the United States stated "During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution." Madison added, "In no instance have...the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people."

A vast majority of the men who founded the United States were essentially Pagan. This is not surprising. Monotheistic Gods inspire totalitarian governments. Polytheistic Gods inspire democratic governments. As democracy matured and the founding fathers' influence began to wane, Christians began to institute blasphemy laws. The laws used the power of the state to protect the church from criticism and derision. The laws were used sporadically until 1968 when the supreme court finally declared them unconstitutional.

http://realmagick.com/articles/13/13.html

spidergoat: I think any monuments or statues that are already in place are OK, a part of our history, but no new monuments to the ten commandments should be publically funded, or installed in public buildings. Democracy was created by pagans, and it was only after the dark days of the Black Death and Christian rule, that scholars rediscovered greek ideals.
M*W: Thanks, spidergoat, for the presidential quotes. As a descendant of John Adams, I can proudly say that I agree with him.

"John Adams, The second president of the U.S. once said "The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity," Adams once speculated, "This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it."

Back