Tachyon Drive

Reiku

Banned
Banned
Link: http://www.npl.washington.edu/av/altvw61.html

===========================
Mod Note: Please do not copy/paste large chunks of text from other webstes, especially large chunks of text which say ``all rights reserved''. Note that this action is specifically prohibited in the Physcis Forum FAQ. See item 8a. Sorry Reiku, this isn't directed at you. Please don't take this personally.
===========================

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting, but pretty speculative, considering we don't even really know what the cosmological constant IS.

It is interesting, but pretty speculative, considering we don't even really know what the cosmological constant IS.

Hum, I've heard that cosmological constant is the energy charge that "empty" space has.

In the big bang space was much, much smaller than now, maybe even singularity, but after the big bang the universe began to expand.
The universe is that energy which is expanding, therefore space is also that energy which is expanding.

Therefore cosmological constant maybe could be the energetic charge of space.

I'm probably wrong, yes?

Therefore cosmological constant maybe could be the energetic charge of space.

Well sure, but what IS it? :) What causes it, why does it have the value that it does, and could one change it if they wanted to?

Either way, these are topics for another thread.

Allow for the last offtopic post or maybe you could create another thread.

Well, at the big bang there was a particular ammount of energy (law of the conservation of energy). Everything that didn't take up other forms of energy like particles might be the equally distributed charge of space.

And about the value -> say you took a bag full of marbles and then opened the bag for a moment, a particular number of marbles would fall out and they could be counted and a specific number then written down, but that number would have no other meaning than just to state how many marbles are there on the floor. Same with the CC - it tells what is the charge of energy that didn't take up other forms at the big bang.

This does not address the question on the creation of new particles from "empty" space.

Just some ideas...

Well, i've just read the small cutting of thoughts, and i suppose the warp drive is just as credible as any design i've heard... only that controlling the cosmological constant is and should be almost impossible to do.

I speculate that the cosmological constant should be the the so-called zero-point energy field.

We've already thought of that. It's wrong by 120 orders of magnitude.

I know.

If it isn't the cosmological constant, then something must cancel it out... And right now, there is nothing i can speculate that could, than some similar, but oppositely charged field.

Well cancelling it out is no real problem---one can always add or subtract an arbitrary constant from the Lagrangian.

I never thought of it that way, but assuming you know this to be true, we are still then left with a non-zero total yeh?

Back