synesthesia

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
Do you know anyone who has this?

In one of the most common forms of synesthesia, grapheme → color synesthesia, individual letters of the alphabet and numbers (collectively referred to as graphemes), are "shaded" or "tinged" with a color. While synesthetes do not, in general, report the same colors for all letters and numbers, studies of large numbers of synesthetes find that there are some commonalities across letters (e.g., A is likely to be red)

I have it. I experience sometimes it when I try to sleep, what happens is that I am not really awake or asleep, so I see this thing...which is like an object with distorted perception of location...like it is both very huge and very far away and also very small and very close, as well as I can feel it...being...well feeling like smooth or rough surface on touch.

Its hard to explain. One thing for sure, it causes me to fear, usually having a more darker environment to go to sleep in helps. It's like, a certain light setting causes me to have this synesthesia when my eyelids are closed.

Last edited:
Actually I am not sure that what you describe is really synesthesia. I only met one once and read a bit about it. Essentially they have a kind of cross-perception. They guy I met had a music-color synesthesia. Basically he sees colors, when he hears music. Funnily he also perceives the buzzing of a centrifuge as "yellowish". Some other noises somehow do not trigger the synesthesia.

Back