survival vs sacrifice

mario

Registered Senior Member
How far should we sacrifice for the good of others (like being a good samaritan)? Similar to a different thread, I ask how good can you be to others when your own survival is being threatened? Would you give up the last scrap of food to another starving person knowing, that if you do, you will surely die? Somehow the god-given instinct of survival seems to clash with "true" sacrifice.

And what about war? Would you willingly go to war defending your country, religion and family against a more powerfull enemy? Survival tells you to run away but would you sacrifice yourself to protect what you think is good and right and worth protecting?

God and Jesus have sent out several rules or guidlines when giving.

God had Elijah make a woman give the last of her food for him. In return God gave her all the food she needed until the rains came.

Jesus tells of the good samaritan.

Jesus also tells us not to give like the Pharases. They give to get credit by others. They do it to look good. Not to be confused with sowing and reaping. No farmer just plants corn "for fun". They expect a crop.

My "overall" view is that God rarely asks someone to give up what may keep them alive. But think about it. If God were by some chance ask you to give up something that may save your life. If you died, what bad would come from that?

"overall" Jesus tells us to give from our hearts. There was a woman who had nothing and out of benevilance gave 3 coins, the last of her money. When it comes to giving, give what your heart tells you.

Now some would say, probably athiests, that the woman wasnt really poor and some people are really trying to prove she had hordes of cash. Which is rediculous

mario said:
How far should we sacrifice for the good of others (like being a good samaritan)? Similar to a different thread, I ask how good can you be to others when your own survival is being threatened? Would you give up the last scrap of food to another starving person knowing, that if you do, you will surely die? Somehow the god-given instinct of survival seems to clash with "true" sacrifice.

I suppose it depends on how much one values life in the flesh?

Luke 9:24
For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.

And what about war? Would you willingly go to war defending your country, religion and family against a more powerfull enemy? Survival tells you to run away but would you sacrifice yourself to protect what you think is good and right and worth protecting?

What is good does not need protecting. What is good will remain good irriespective of how many accept it.

II Corinthians 10:3,4
"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds."

Zechariah 4:6
"Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord of Hosts."

Revelation 13:10
He who leads into captivity shall go into captivity; he who kills with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Back