Super bedbugs

You'd be surprised how many hotels here in the US do. And lots of colleges are inundated with them

How does one get rid of them?

Here in Houston we have an ideal climate for cat fleas...and I've found that if you run the vacuum cleaner daily for about seven days you will not have any fleas in even the worst-infested carpet.
Can you just keep vacuuming your mattress?

Also, does applying boric acid or borax, then wrapping said mattress in a waterproof barrier work?

Well, they have their own web site...

http://www.bed-bug.org/

bed-bugs-bw1.jpg

bedbug-bites.jpg

As to the dramatic rise, it's old news (2006), but continuing on. (as far as I know)

I know how much everyone loves Fox, but it was the first link I found...

Bed bugs respond to a frequency that will repel them so all that's needed is a sonic device that will hit the correct frequency to repel them away from the bedroom or other room which might get them. That frequency will not affect humans because of its higher range than humans can hear.

Yikes. I'm happy to say that I've never seen one in my life.

I never have either. As a kid I would hear the old saying "sleep tight...don't let the bedbugs bite" but didn't realize bedbugs were an actual species.

I guess they are making a comeback.

I frustratingly picked them up from a 5-star hotel during a business conference in Chicago.

I ended up having to quarantine my bedroom for 6 months, sleeping on a pad on the living room floor. Luckily, they didn't escape the bedroom, and starved, not to return.

Back