sunburn.....

John Connellan

Valued Senior Member
How much sunburn really, do u think it would take to give someone with quite fair skin a large chance of skin cancer? I tend to get sunburn at least 5-10 times every year during the summer at a latitude of about 50 degrees north. The sunburn is never enough that I blister but I usually go quite red.
I dont know what the expert opinion is but I tend to believe in the healing capacity of the human body including its skin. I also believe in the much hated opinion that over time, even quite fair skinned people will develope a tan from repeated mild sunburns.

Your probably getting increased potential for cancer from that. I dont know a huge amount about it, but that many sunburns each year is likely to be doing something. yes you build up a tan, but they fade over time. Its not like your guaranteed cancer, just that a few more people in every thousand would develop it, given greater exposure and burns. But thats no excuse for not taking precautions, look at Australia. It had a huge skin cancer rate 20 years ago and pubilc education, making people aware of the dangers has lowered it.
finally, isnt it easier not to have that annoying red skin and being able to sleep better because your not chafing the sunburn?

It would seem you are overlooking the truth. Do you use a suntan lotion?. I hope you know the more fair your skin the faster it gets damaged from the sun.

I had an epithelioma removed from my nose recently. The Dr. removed it because it actually looked like a carcinoma but it turned out to be OK. He explained that living in a sunny place and never wearing sunblock increases your chances of skin cancer, even if you seldom ever get sunburnt.

Back