Sugar & Cholesterol

ekeller65

Registered Senior Member
When I was 30, I had 6.7 millimoles/litre cholesterol in my body, Doctors asked me to cut down on diet and do exrcise. Which I did and lost 10 kg of weight. (Stopped eating red meat, milk products, egg etc have been eating lot of fruits and vegetables. )

Went back and checked the level again after 6 months, it was the same.
Having demoralised stopped all extra exercise and started eating everything as per normal and put on the 10 kg back again. (I dont have any family history of Cholesterol at a young age.)

After this, few people have mentioned to cut down on white sugar and see.
So I cut down on the white sugar to zero which i used to take 3 - 6 spoons a day. Went back and checked the Cholesterol level again and it was 5.5.

So I suppose not taking white sugar does help cholesterol level to be maintained at a healthy level !

Last edited:
no, it just shows that when you lost those 10kg you had not been just eating leaves, you had most likely put a lot of oil in there and other garbage. You really should understand that to loose weight for good of health you have to go through many cuts in life, not just "oh here I cut down on meat" but added muffins + chocolate + oil and everything else to make it even worse.

I've heard that eating lots of garlic helps reduce cholesterol.

As long as you stay away from hydrogenerated and animal fats, refined susgar, and Salt - you can balance your years of abuse with Garlic, Turmeric, Ginger, Basil etc...

I munch on dried Cranberries all day. And have started eating dried fruits such as Blueberries, Mangoes and Dates. I wear corrective lenses at -1.25. But lately, I have less and less need for it. That level has been with me for 25 years.

I munch on dried Cranberries all day. And have started eating dried fruits such as Blueberries, Mangoes and Dates. I wear corrective lenses at -1.25. But lately, I have less and less need for it. That level has been with me for 25 years.

lutein and zeaxanthin, my brother. You been a good man. Try doing eye exercises they take off the stress on eyes.

Actually I took Leutin and Xanthin as supplements but they did not help much...so I decided to go the dried fruit route. I also drink carrot juice...but lately I have been lazy to buy them. Must buy tomorrow....I also drop a whole tomato in my green salad too. I used to eat a lot of ripe tomatoes sprinkled with sugar or honey when I was a kid...but have not done that lately....

Actually I took Leutin and Xanthin as supplements but they did not help much...so I decided to go the dried fruit route. I also drink carrot juice...but lately I have been lazy to buy them. Must buy tomorrow....I also drop a whole tomato in my green salad too. I used to eat a lot of ripe tomatoes sprinkled with sugar or honey when I was a kid...but have not done that lately....

the fruit route is no doubt working out better, it is so. Vitamin A is quite high in carrot juice so keep it tight there.

An vitamin A overdose can be harmful to bones and skin, causing weakness and brittleness, even leading to fatigue and vomiting. Excessive intake of vitamin A is toxic, at dosages of around 20-25,000 IU daily. Consuming more than 25,000 IU of vitamin A per day (adults) and 10,000 IU per day (children) from either food or supplements or both is known to be toxic. For those 19 and older, the tolerable upper limit for vitamin A consumption has been set at 10,000 IU per day.

When I was 30, I had 6.7 millimoles/litre cholesterol in my body.
Was it HDL "good" cholesterol, which is on its way to the liver for excretion? Or LDL "bad" cholesterol, which is on its way to be stored in the rest of your body? Nowadays, at least in the USA, they distinguish between the two and only worry about the LDL. If they only gave you one figure for "generic" cholesterol, then I'm worried that you may have been misled.
Doctors asked me to cut down on diet and do exrcise. Which I did and lost 10 kg of weight. (Stopped eating red meat, milk products, egg etc have been eating lot of fruits and vegetables.)
For purposes of managing cholesterol, the top priority is to stop gaining weight, because as your fat cells increase, they will store whatever cholesterol is available within their cell walls.

Your second priority is to reduce or eliminate trans-fatty acids from your diet. As long as your weight is stable and healthy, it's okay to eat saturated fat, which is found in meat, eggs, milk and a few fruits, nuts and seeds, and it's okay to eat unsaturated fat, which is more common in plant-derived foods. Generally your body is able to digest those forms of fat, metabolize them and burn them for energy. But partially hydrogenated fats, which contain trans-fatty acids and are rampant in manufactured food because they retard spoilage, are somewhat more difficult to digest and may end up being stored in your fat cells as cholesterol.

You don't need to give up meat to be healthy, as long as you don't eat charred meat in which the natural fat has been turned into some other and less healthy chemical. Just avoid buying packaged food, especially sweets, because they are usually full of partially hydrogenated fats to increase their shelf life, and so they won't spoil if you leave an open bag of potato chips or cookies out on your coffee table for two weeks. Read the label on every package of food you buy and scan for the words "partially hydrogenated." If you see them, put it back. If you really like sweets you may end up having to learn to cook, or else buy more expensive sweets at a real bakery. (Check their labels too!!!) Fortunately my wife is the best cook in seven counties AND a chocolatiere.

Sugar? Well if you're gaining weight of course you should cut back on the calories. But sugar is not your only source of calories. If you love sweets and can't make it through a day without them (like me), telling you to give up sugar is like telling you to stop breathing. You have to make the decision about what you're willing to give up and still maintain a balanced diet without gaining weight. I eat a normal 2500 calorie diet, and probably half of that is sugar. I eat plenty of fat in meat, eggs, cheese and pastry. But I eat zero trans-fatty acids and I exercise enough that my weight is stable. I've been eating like that for 66 years and I'm fine. Well okay we didn't know about trans-fatty acids when I was a kid but I stopped eating them when they were discovered. Fortunately I hate potato chips and I have never bought cheap candy or pastry.
So I suppose not taking white sugar does help cholesterol level to be maintained at a healthy level!
But what were you eating with that sugar? Was it doughnuts and crackers from the convenience store with a six-month shelf life, that even the bugs won't eat? That crap is full of trans-fatty acids.

Sugar is much maligned. In the past only the rich could afford it so it became a symbol of decadence. Now that everyone in the West can afford it, the communists and the people in the Third World still consider it a symbol of decadence. That is bullshit. Europeans eat plenty of sugar and they're generally healthier than us Americans.

But your first priority is to make sure your doctor is measuring cholesterol correctly. Only the LDL is a problem, so long as you're not gaining weight and your health is otherwise good. Then just manage your diet intelligently so you don't gain weight. Don't get crazy about it.

While the overall message behind Fraggle's post is solid, there are some minor details that should be cleared up.

because as your fat cells increase, they will store whatever cholesterol is available within their cell walls.
I'm nitpicking here, but because the audience here is all levels, and consistent terminology is important in the sciences, it should be noted that no organism in the kingdom Animalia has a cell wall. We have cell membranes. The danger of cholesterol is that it can also form plaques in arteries, which lead to blockages.

Your second priority is to reduce or eliminate trans-fatty acids from your diet. As long as your weight is stable and healthy, it's okay to eat saturated fat, which is found in meat, eggs, milk and a few fruits, nuts and seeds, and it's okay to eat unsaturated fat, which is more common in plant-derived foods. Generally your body is able to digest those forms of fat, metabolize them and burn them for energy. But partially hydrogenated fats, which contain trans-fatty acids and are rampant in manufactured food because they retard spoilage, are somewhat more difficult to digest and may end up being stored in your fat cells as cholesterol.
Saturated fats and trans-polyunsaturated fatty acids are dangerous for the same reasons. Cis-polyunsaturated fatty acids are what you want in your diet. At no point are any of these converted to cholesterol, which is a steroid derivative.

You don't need to give up meat to be healthy, as long as you don't eat charred meat in which the natural fat has been turned into some other and less healthy chemical. Just avoid buying packaged food, especially sweets, because they are usually full of partially hydrogenated fats to increase their shelf life, and so they won't spoil if you leave an open bag of potato chips or cookies out on your coffee table for two weeks. Read the label on every package of food you buy and scan for the words "partially hydrogenated." If you see them, put it back. If you really like sweets you may end up having to learn to cook, or else buy more expensive sweets at a real bakery. (Check their labels too!!!)
You don't want hydrogenated foods, because that means they are saturated fats. Again, unsaturated fats are good, as long as they aren't trans fats.

So I suppose not taking white sugar does help cholesterol level to be maintained at a healthy level !

Yes and there are reasons why this is so.

The first reason is that we do not excrete fat and there are limits to how much carbohydrate we can store as carbohydrate [in the form of glycogen and sugars in the blood]

The second is that all excess sugar is converted to fat and stored in the body

The third is that dietary measures which address reducing cholesterol intake only affect any additional cholesterol you may collect, they do not address the cholesterol you already have in the body and which you can only get rid of by one method, utilising the fat for energy

So when you cut down on high cholesterol foods, you stopped adding to your cholesterol and it did not increase any further [we already make all the cholesterol we need for our own body functions]. The exercising helped utlise your muscle glycogen and reduced the amount of sugar diverted to storage as fat.

But when you decreased your sugar intake you reduced the amount of fat you were storing, in addition to cutting down on your energy intake. You also switched to fat as your primary source of energy rather than carbohydrates. So you burned your fat reserves which included your accumulated cholesterol.

Last edited:
hi

sure, the fresh garlic is useful to Reduce cholesterol..and also the greentea Is rich in antioxidants that prevent cholesterol in the blood from oxidation

Most of you have probably heard some stories about how high fructose corn syrup, used as a sweetener for many, many things because it's inexpensive, is bad for you. The industry has maintained that it's no worse for you than sucrose. Well, sucrose (regular table sugar, made from beets or cane) is bad enough, and any sensible person knows it shouldn't be a major part of your diet. But a new study has confirmed that HFCS is indeed worse for your health than sucrose.

Fructose, a sweetener derived from corn, can cause dangerous growths of fat cells around vital organs and is able to trigger the early stages of diabetes and heart disease.

It has increasingly been used as a substitute for more expensive types of sugar in yoghurts, cakes, salad dressing and cereals. Even some fruit drinks that sound healthy contain fructose.

Experts believe that the sweetener — which is found naturally in small quantities in fruit — could be a factor in the emergence of diabetes among children. This week, a new report is expected to claim that about one in 10 children in England will be obese by 2015.

Previous studies of the potentially adverse impact of fructose have focused on rats, but the first experiment involving humans has now revealed serious health concerns.

Over 10 weeks, 16 volunteers on a strictly controlled diet, including high levels of fructose, produced new fat cells around their heart, liver and other digestive organs. They also showed signs of food-processing abnormalities linked to diabetes and heart disease. Another group of volunteers on the same diet, but with glucose sugar replacing fructose, did not have these problems.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article6954603.ece

Up until now, I'd thought the dangers of HFCS was being overblown. But this study seems to confirm that it is an unnecessary danger, and should be avoided.

Hm, I managed to dig up this old thread, because I was doing research (again) on cholesterol. Now that the white sugar issue came up, I would like to share my personal (anecdotal) experience.

I have a sweet tooth. I like everything about candy and sugar and you name it. I also like a little coffee in my sugar in the morning. But seriously, I usually use 3-4 spoons of sugar per mug. But about a year or so ago, since I don't want to drink coffee without sweetener, I switched to raw sugar. It is more expensive than the refined sugar, but very close in taste, unlike other artificial sweeteners. So maybe this switch also helped to bring my cholesterol level from 290 to 200 in 2 years, beside taking fish oil and such....

Back