Suffering, Cycles; Samara

Bishadi

Banned
Banned
There are many ways to address this term.

Just like in the Western beliefs of biblical literature, the Sanskrit literature is also interpreted in many variant ways.

Karma and rebirth are often what can be attributed to the flow and in many teachings, try and reduce that involvement or participation in that percieved suffering.

What i am inquiring on is enlightenment of Samsara;

is it to understand the cycle?

is it the 'experience' of involvement, the cycle, the rebirths?

is it to not be a part of the cycle? (leave any karma; good or bad)?

Looking for opinions. (and if any have direct links to data sources, please provide)

Being fully enlightened, attaining Nirvana, is to be fully rid of any karma, thus leaving Samsara.

Being fully enlightened, attaining Nirvana, is to be fully rid of any karma, thus leaving Samsara.

I disagree.

It is impossible to be "rid" of any karma.
It is not a bank account with credits and debits.
Karma is simply action and implies the results of that action.
Even a dead body rotting away partcipates in the dynamic of karma.

Escaping samsara, as I understand Siddhartha's words - is simply recognizing the satya of the physical world for what it is and ridding yourself of a desire to return.

I disagree.

It is impossible to be "rid" of any karma.
It is not a bank account with credits and debits.
Karma is simply action and implies the results of that action.
Even a dead body rotting away partcipates in the dynamic of karma.

Escaping samsara, as I understand Siddhartha's words - is simply recognizing the satya of the physical world for what it is and ridding yourself of a desire to return.
depends how you view the self, or what it is exactly that acts as a reservoir for karma.

In monist doctrine, the self is by definition a construct of karma. (so all discussion of desire and action are simply subcategories of karma)

In dualist doctrine, the self is distinguished as having a pure and impure state, with the addition of karma being what distinguishes the two - hence there are words like akarma (acting without binding karma) which stands in contrast to words like vikarma (high level binding action)

The buddha was asked if suffering was evil.
He said no. Without suffering there could be no enlightenment.

Back