Stupid Design

ElectricFetus

Sanity going, going, gone
Valued Senior Member
I was reading though the latest rabbling on the Denial of Evolution thread and I think its time we make a growing list of all the things in biology that are quite clearly poorly designed and thus clear signed of a unconscious (stupid) evolution.

I already made a whole thread on one: RuBisCo: Dear god why?

RuBisCo being the horribly slow and inefficient enzyme which core of almost all photosynthesis on the planet. An intelligent designed photosynthetic pathway would not be so inefficient, would be immune to oxygen, clearly RuBisCo evolved during a time of little to no free oxygen and very high concentrations of CO2 and was keep ever since, evolution evolved hair-brain schemes to keep it working in todays atmosphere.

My persona favorite example is external testicles.Why have them external when internal makes so much more sense! Birds manage sperm production from internal testicles at very high core body temperatures, but when our ancestors evolved from a cold blooded organism instead of making sperm production viable at core body temperature it just move the testicles outside the body! Why implement such a stupid solution? Because evolution revolves around random mutation, random solutions present them selves and evolution takes advantage of them no matter if a better solution existed, if it is not presented by chance evolution can't select for it! In birds they were lucky that by chances mutation presented core body temperature sperm production, mammals were not so lucky in that mutation simply put the balls outside the body.

So any examples of clearly stupid design and thus direct evidence against the notion of intelligent design?

I watched a nature show last night that featured a wild pig named the "Babirusa". It has teeth that have overgrown to become tusks that protrude from the top of it's mouth, and curve back. If the pig doesn't keep them trim, they can actually grow into it's skull...killing the pig.

Babirusa.jpg

The Laryngeal Nerve of the Giraffe

The recurrent (inferior) laryngeal nerve, which branches off the Vagus nerve at the base of the brain, travels down the neck, around the arteries of the heart and travels back up the neck to ennervate the larynx, or voice box, thereby providing motor function.
This looping made sense when the giraffe had a short neck, but it seems rather ridiculous now.

I was reading though the latest rabbling on the Denial of Evolution thread and I think its time we make a growing list of all the things in biology that are quite clearly poorly designed and thus clear signed of a unconscious (stupid) evolution.

I already made a whole thread on one: RuBisCo: Dear god why?

RuBisCo being the horribly slow and inefficient enzyme which core of almost all photosynthesis on the planet. An intelligent designed photosynthetic pathway would not be so inefficient, would be immune to oxygen, clearly RuBisCo evolved during a time of little to no free oxygen and very high concentrations of CO2 and was keep ever since, evolution evolved hair-brain schemes to keep it working in todays atmosphere.

My persona favorite example is external testicles.Why have them external when internal makes so much more sense! Birds manage sperm production from internal testicles at very high core body temperatures, but when our ancestors evolved from a cold blooded organism instead of making sperm production viable at core body temperature it just move the testicles outside the body! Why implement such a stupid solution? Because evolution revolves around random mutation, random solutions present them selves and evolution takes advantage of them no matter if a better solution existed, if it is not presented by chance evolution can't select for it! In birds they were lucky that by chances mutation presented core body temperature sperm production, mammals were not so lucky in that mutation simply put the balls outside the body.

So any examples of clearly stupid design and thus direct evidence against the notion of intelligent design?

The design should be to pit your testicles by your ears so you would have natural earrings :D

I already made a whole thread on one:

(I've removed your link because my post count is less than 20 at the moment - Kellisness)

"Stupid" is subjective. Judging the validity of intelligent design based on your personal notion of "stupid" isn't really the way to go.

Too bad the Babirusa's endangered, I'd like to keep a pair as pets...
(who's a cute wittle pigdeer? awww....)

Back