Study Says "TV Disses Religion"; The Fish Says "Huh?"

goofyfish

Analog By Birth, Digital By Design
Valued Senior Member
Network television's depictions of religion are "overwhelmingly" negative, despite 90 percent of the American public professing a belief in God, according to a study released yesterday by the Parents Television Council. (Full text here)

When I read a lead paragraph like that, I nod. I believe it, because I think there is a general negativity towards religion in the media and it makes sense to me. And they seem to have a valid method:
To be counted as negative in the study, religion had to be treated in a derogatory manner or treated without respect in a specific instance.

But as I continue through the article, I find that they offer the following examples of negativity:
  • a Dec. 17 episode of Fox's "That '70s Show" that referred to a couple having sex next to a manger scene
  • an Aug. 5 episode of NBC's "Last Comic Standing" that referred to Catholicism as a religion that awards a "get-out-of-hell-free card" to anyone but pedophile priests
  • a dialogue in a Feb. 10 episode of NBC's "Will and Grace" in which sidekick Karen tells lead character Grace, "Let's go buy that historic church and turn it into a gay bar."
Now, I assume that if they are offering examples, they would offer the worst ones, not the tamest ones. And, frankly, none of those examples seem particularly negative to me. All three of the shows mentioned are comedies. Comedy is often found in the unexpected juxtaposition of ideas or events. I didn't see "That 70's Show," but I cannot imagine the characters were having sex near a manger in order to desecrate the Nativity scene; I'm confident that they, horny teenagers that they are, were simply trying to have sex somewhere, and the comedy turns on the proximity to a manger.

I didn't see "Last Comic Standing," either, but - while it's a flip and irreverent way of phrasing it - Christianity does offer a "Get-out-of-Hell-Free" card. That's kind of the point of divine forgiveness, after all. And while it may not be theologically defensible, I can see someone suggesting that pedophile priests ought not to qualify. Again, though, this is a comedy - a wry commentary on a situation, not a theological instruction.

Finally: Will and Grace. I have seen this show, although not this episode. Karen's character does not seem to to be the sort of person one looks to for guidance or inspiration. She's constantly portrayed as boozing and pill-popping, a loveable reprobate. If Karen proposes a course of action in the show's context, I can't believe we're to take it seriously. Indeed, one could argue that Karen's advice should be observed by following its opposite. And, again, comedy exists by juxtaposing opposites: it is funny to consider gay bar being located in a building that was once a historic church. She's not talking about stealing the church, but legally buying it. Presumably, the congregation that owns the property will receive fair market value, and be in a position to buy a new church. What's the harm?

In general, the folks that compile these lists seem to have their sensitivity meters turned all the way up, and anyone that doesn't take their religion as humorlessly as themselves must be attacking them. It seems to me that TV isn't so much hostile to religion as it is frightened of it. Just like you rarely know the political leanings of TV characters, you rarely know their religious inclinations. TV executives don't want to step on anyone's toes, so they just leave these things out of their characters' lives.

I agree that none of the incidents above constitute a ringing endorsement of religion. But if that is the worst they can point to, then I'd say there's no problem here at all.

:m: Peace.

These people are insane. I signed up for their e-mail subscription list just for fun. I mean, so what if hollywood doesn't reflect their views?

""These findings lend credibility to the idea that Hollywood accepts spirituality, but shies away from endorsing, or even tolerating, organized religion," concluded Bozell."

Sounds good to me, if they want Christian programming, they can start their own station, oh wait, they already did.

a Dec. 17 episode of Fox's "That '70s Show" that referred to a couple having sex next to a manger scene

And that is a negative portrayal of religion?

Even better:

April 27, on Scrubs, Carla tells Turk, “That was Father Paul. He said we can’t read our own vows. We have to say the same Catholic ones like everybody else,” to which Turk replies, “Oh baby, Carla, that sucks.” (NBC)

And best of all:

On the September 13 episode of North Shore, MJ asks, “What is it with guys and three-ways? Why is that…the Holy Grail of hook-ups?” (Fox)

Idiotic methodology, no interrater reliability, no statistical analysis('cept mean) stupid, unintelligent, fallacious.

http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/publications/reports/religionstudy/main.asp

And I'll just bet they cherry-picked these examples from their study so that they look like lesser fucktards than they actually are.

Right now it is the American standard for the majority to pretend it is an oppressed minority.

I'll make 'em a deal:

• I will support efforts to compel the television producers to pretend religion doesn't exist if all religious programming--e.g. morning sermons, &c.--is moved off broadcast stations.​

Quid pro quo. Voluntary restraint. Easy enough.

Oh, wait. That still doesn't work. Remember that showing a propaganda film on television is the ethical equivalent to putting something on pay-per-view, where someone must go out of their way to obtain it.

Hell, how many cable and satellite networks to the religious folks have?

Back