Students believe 'bleach bombing' attacks were racist incidents

seagypsy

Banned
Banned
So apparently some greek organizations have gotten themselves into trouble by throwing racial stereotype parties and now there are bleach bombs being tossed at minority students. If greek organizations really are at the root of this I'm glad I have not bothered to join any when I was invited recently. I was always under the impression that these greek organizations were supposed to represent the best and the brightest, people to be respected. Not advocates for racism and stupidity. This is a real shame.

Below is just a snippet of the article, please do follow the link to the entire article in the Huffington Post
.(snip)...UT's Greek community, specifically member organizations of the Inter-Fraternity Council and University Panhellenic Council, has recently drawn sharp criticism for racially-themed parties at which sorority and fraternity members and their guests -- who, for the most part, are white -- dress up in stereotypical clothing associated with a minority group. The local chapters of Tri Delta and Zeta Tau Alpha have recently apologized for a fiesta-themed party where two party attendees wore shirts that read "Illegal" and "Border Patrol.... (snip)

Source

Heh, fraternities are not about representing the best, brightest, and most respected. They are about parties.

Heh, fraternities are not about representing the best, brightest, and most respected. They are about parties.
Even the elite ones may irregularly wallow in some degree of an 'animal house' level, where much of the whole point is temporary liberation from their own personal, constraining belief-patterns; escape from formal codes of local conduct; and freedom from philosophical constructs for regulating widespread behavior. In essence, putting what qualifies as "thought-crimes" for this era into actual or semi-mock practice; perhaps purely for the thrill or shock-value in the end, which the modern trend of "extremely extended adolescence" may sometimes crave clear until bumping shoulders with thirty-hood and beyond.

Frat Boy: “Just because someone thinks differently than you or looks differently than you do doesn’t mean you should be afraid of them. “
Frat Pledge:” Really? So this fraternity can accept anyone?”
Frat Boy : “No, What it means is that you should be ANGRY AT THEM! HOW DARE THEY BE DIFFERENT, WHAT MY WAY OF LIFE’S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM?!”
Frat Pledge: “So you’re saying I should beat them up?”
Frat Boy: “Tommy fighting outside of the football game is just wrong but I’m imaginary so just do what you got to do.”
Frat Pledge: “Thanks inner frat boy!”
Frat Boy: “So you want your hazing now or later?”
Frat Pledge: “Uh..no..not today.”

Back