Strings as in pull the other one.

kaneda

Actual Cynic
Registered Senior Member
Several years ago, many deserted the field, saying it was a scientific dead end. Others stayed and continue their work. Evidence? None. Not a shred. Lots of nice maths but creationists use such maths to show that god must have made life because the odds say it could never have happened otherwise.

Like the Discovery Institute where scientists are paid to write papers backing creationism, is strings the same where while the money continues to come in, people will continue churning out the papers and equations without producing any actual evidence?

Well, of course, it's theoretical - the only results are squiggly things called math symbols, so far.

I guess a loop is a fairly straightforward idea, I mean a rubber band is a loop, right? Except fundamental strings aren't made out of rubber.
Simple I guess. Except for the 23 volumes of math. And #24 that they're still writring.

Several years ago, many deserted the field, saying it was a scientific dead end. Others stayed and continue their work. Evidence? None. Not a shred. Lots of nice maths but creationists use such maths to show that god must have made life because the odds say it could never have happened otherwise.

Like the Discovery Institute where scientists are paid to write papers backing creationism, is strings the same where while the money continues to come in, people will continue churning out the papers and equations without producing any actual evidence?
Yes. But hopefully the money will stay in quantum mechanics. There will be a need for lots of funding to sort out the LHC data and to provide talent for the theoretical work. Maybe it will be like the US and Russia grabbing the German scientists after WWII.

I've got to disagree. Some people left the field several years ago, absolutely. Some people are STILL leaving the field. But the field as a whole is getting larger---I don't know what you've heard, but the Strings conference this year is expected to be larger than in the previous years, I think. Does this sound like a field that's shrinking?

I don't know what you've heard, but the Strings conference this year is expected to be larger than in the previous years, I think. Does this sound like a field that's shrinking?
The conference I was at in May had Witten, Seiberg, Vafa, Maldacena, Becker, Becker, Westphal, Quevado and Wecht there, all of whom are well known in string circles and have been profilic publishers. Especially the first half dozen, whose name appears on text books and 'top cite' papers on Spires.
Since when is one 'many'. And I'm sure Ben and I can name more than one well known string theorist whose joined since he left.
I'm in the Kaneda group.
Ignorant whiners who like to think they can do physics but have never shown they can, never stand up to any challenges, think there's conspiracies of sock puppets against them and who complain whenever someone shows they are ignorant?

Yes, you are in the 'Kaneda group' then.

Back