Strange Creature Killed in Panama

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
I was think it might be a sloth with mange, but I've never seen a case of mange where there was absolutely no hair whatsoever
What is it??? Are there sloths in Panama??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97dO7JICcbc
m1_1483504c.jpg

ownagepoint(.)wordpress(.)com/ please see attached link for the identity of the said creature

Besides, sloths are in the same evolutionary line (Eutheria) as the primates, and so are rather closely related to us.

I disagree. The closest connection Sloths have to Humans is (indeed) Eutheria.
So an animal belonging to Eutheria is not an excuse for saying the animal looks humanoid because all placental animals belong to this group.
Sloths belong to the Order Pilosa (Anteaters and Sloths).

Hmm on second thought..

anteater-sith350.JPG

:p

I don't understand. Are they Eutheria or Pilosa? And I don't think Fraggle said ALL Eutheria looked like people.

I disagree. The closest connection Sloths have to Humans is (indeed) Eutheria.
Sorry about that. I need to proofread my posts better. I was trying to type "Epitheria."

But more importantly, I need to double-check my taxonomy, because Epitheria is wrong!

Sloths are in the clade Xenarthra, whose only other members are the armadillos and anteaters. This is an incredibly tiny group of placental mammals that is separated from the clade Epitheria, which includes all other placental mammals!

In order for a sloth to be less closely related to the primates, it would have to be a marsupial (or one of the other weird non-placental mammals like the egg-laying platypus). Raccoons, hamsters, rabbits, bats, manatees, shrews, elephants, giraffes and whales are all more closely related to us than sloths.

Sorry!

I've been carrying this idea around for a couple of decades: Sloths split off from shrews, and primates split off from sloths. That is certainly wrong. Perhaps without the benefit of DNA analysis biologists in those days had the relationships wrong. The grouping of families into higher-order taxonomic groups has certainly changed a lot; e.g., no one guessed that dolphins are closely related to cattle.

More likely, my memory has failed. After all, it's not "too big to fail.";)

Hey, no need to apologize :)
I just think it's great someone besides me is interested in that stuff ;)

I just want to know why when somebody see a strange creature the first reaction is to kill it? also why they don't DNA text the creature? and number three and this one is controversial, hybrids happens all the time in nature. right now I am looking thru my window and in front of my house we still have Canadian Geese, one of the goose is a hybrid between a swan ( I think because the length of the neck and a goose)So next time somebody see a strange animal they should keep that in mind, he maybe a hybrid between two species is more possible than a Thonrk from planet 375 in the Cassiopeia Nebula. Godspeed to you.

It looks like my Uncle Ernie he went missing around the same time the Bastards they killed Ernie.

excuse me, but WHY THE FUCK, was their reaction to throw rocks at it and kill it?! jesus christ!

WTF?!?!?!?

They didn't kill it, it was already dead, which is why it didn't have hair and was bloated.

Back