Strange Bug

Praesagus

Registered Member
I read another strange bug thread in this forum and jogged a memory from some 25 years ago. I’ll try to take you there. I was in the jungle in the Philippines on the edge of a river. Imagine a ravine 150-300 feet deep; cliff walls covered with overgrowth; trees jutting out from the face dangling vines out into sweltering heat. At the bottom was a river, cold and crystal clear. Huge boulders the size of houses and cars huddled together forming pools and waterfalls. My friend and I had swum across the river and stood on one of these rocks, where I saw the most terrifying bug I’d ever seen. It was about 3 inches long and stood high on long joined legs (like a praying mantis might, as opposed to hanging low like a spider). It had 14 legs – actually 13 since one was missing. Its body was long like a praying mantis, but without the large distinctive abdomen. Its rear pair of legs was like a female mosquito’s, pointing downward, but curving up at the ends. I don’t remember what color it was, but I think it was green. It moved aggressively like something poisonous might, turning to face us as if unafraid. I knew better than to touch an unknown bug, so we tried to catch it with a leaf. It dodged us, moving incredibly fast, and leapt off the rock into the water. Normally the river was placid and idyllic. That day it was in preflood and thundered down the ravine, swirling angrily around the rocks. We couldn't just jump in after it so the bug disappeared. Any ideas what this thing might have been?

I read another strange bug thread in this forum and jogged a memory from some 25 years ago. I’ll try to take you there. I was in the jungle in the Philippines on the edge of a river. Imagine a ravine 150-300 feet deep; cliff walls covered with overgrowth; trees jutting out from the face dangling vines out into sweltering heat. At the bottom was a river, cold and crystal clear. Huge boulders the size of houses and cars huddled together forming pools and waterfalls. My friend and I had swum across the river and stood on one of these rocks, where I saw the most terrifying bug I’d ever seen. It was about 3 inches long and stood high on long joined legs (like a praying mantis might, as opposed to hanging low like a spider). It had 14 legs – actually 13 since one was missing. Its body was long like a praying mantis, but without the large distinctive abdomen. Its rear pair of legs was like a female mosquito’s, pointing downward, but curving up at the ends. I don’t remember what color it was, but I think it was green. It moved aggressively like something poisonous might, turning to face us as if unafraid. I knew better than to touch an unknown bug, so we tried to catch it with a leaf. It dodged us, moving incredibly fast, and leapt off the rock into the water. Normally the river was placid and idyllic. That day it was in preflood and thundered down the ravine, swirling angrily around the rocks. We couldn't just jump in after it so the bug disappeared. Any ideas what this thing might have been?

one picture is equivalent of 1000 words , show me the picture I will believe you

Are you absolutely sure it had 14 (-1) legs?
A drawing might help.
At this point the closest might be some sort of landhopper, although three inches seems excessive.

800px-Scutigera_coleoptrata.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...leoptrata.JPG/800px-Scutigera_coleoptrata.JPG

S. coleoptrata is 25 mm (1 in) to 50 mm (2 in) in length and has up to 15 pairs of long legs. These delicate legs are attached to a rigid body. This enables it to reach surprising speeds of up to 0.4 meter per second (1.3 ft/s)[2] running across floors, up walls and along ceilings. Its body is yellowish-grey and has three dark dorsal stripes running down its length; the legs also have dark stripes. Unlike most other centipedes, house centipedes and their close relatives have well-developed, faceted eyes. S. coleoptrata has developed automimicry in that its hind legs present the appearance of antennae. When the centipede is at rest, it is not easy to tell its front from its back.

WIKI

Back