Stingray Attacks

Walter L. Wagner

Cosmic Truth Seeker
Valued Senior Member
Stingray attacks such as the recent one on Steve Irwin are reported as extremely rare. How dangerous are stingrays and manta rays?

Did the Irwin stingray sense its victim by other than sight? Was its tail barb guided by electrical/sound signals given off by Irwin? Is swimming directly over a stingray likely to result in an attack?

Lots of questions, and I'm not an expert on rays and sharks. I just try to keep my distance. Any experts out there?

Walter L. Wagner said:
Stingray attacks such as the recent one on Steve Irwin are reported as extremely rare. How dangerous are stingrays and manta rays?

Did the Irwin stingray sense its victim by other than sight? Was its tail barb guided by electrical/sound signals given off by Irwin? Is swimming directly over a stingray likely to result in an attack?

Lots of questions, and I'm not an expert on rays and sharks. I just try to keep my distance. Any experts out there?

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/Mrd/mspcont6.html

http://www.jeannieshouse.com/oceanarium/mantas/manta.html

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/lh_stingray_city.htm

"Stingrays (Dasyatidae) use their greatly enlarged pectoral fins to excavate the bottom, searching for shellfish that they crush with broad, flat teeth. It is common to find these rays buried in sand or mud. If an unwary wader steps on this ray, they could be stung by the poisonous tail spine. The pain from the sting is excruciating"

google is your friend

Last edited:
TOR:

The first two links were bad. (Page not found).

The third link had an interesting tidbit.

It reported that circa 2001, an Australian 'bloke', while diving in Fiji, swam over a large stingray, and it stung him in the chest. His heart was punctured, and he died one day later from his wound.

It would appear that at least one species of sting-ray takes careful aim at either the sound, or the electrical output, of a beating heart and aims its barb directly there. Too bad Steve Irwin didn't know about that. Unfortunately, he's now another statistic to be added to the literature about sting rays.

I love Google! However, that site didn't actually confirm what I've concluded - rather just gave another example of the exact same thing as the Irwin case.

Walter L. Wagner said:
TOR:

The first two links were bad. (Page not found).

The third link had an interesting tidbit.

It reported that circa 2001, an Australian 'bloke', while diving in Fiji, swam over a large stingray, and it stung him in the chest. His heart was punctured, and he died one day later from his wound.

It would appear that at least one species of sting-ray takes careful aim at either the sound, or the electrical output, of a beating heart and aims its barb directly there. Too bad Steve Irwin didn't know about that. Unfortunately, he's now another statistic to be added to the literature about sting rays.

I love Google! However, that site didn't actually confirm what I've concluded - rather just gave another example of the exact same thing as the Irwin case.

I've amended the links meanwhile, two incidences do not demonstrate 'intent' still could be just unlucky.

Thanks for fixing the links. Still no info on whether they take careful aim at a beating heart, or just aim by visual sight, or worse, by blind luck.

However, considering how advanced the barb is, and the number of species, I suspect they have a very evolved location system that directs the placement of the single barb they carry. They don't have barbs to spare - only one shot against a probable predator - and they have to make it count. I suspect it takes weeks to months to grow a new one, though there wasn't any literature on that aspect either in your links.

Two reported cases of getting stung in the chest and dying vs. probably thousands of unreported stings.

There are only so many places to get stung on the body, some more deadly than others.

It's a case of luck, or rather, bad luck.

The articles I've read in the American press said it was an absolute fluke that the barb entered his body at exactly the right spot and exactly the right angle to penetrate the soft tissue and make direct contact with the heart. There is no way any animal could be programmed or taught to find the heart in each of the various species that may threaten it. And considering that humans are only recent arrivals in the ocean, they could hardly have already have adapted to our presence.

According to one website, the last time a stingray killed a human was in 1945. A truly extraordinary man met a truly extraordinary death.

I would think it is very possible that they can target the heart, being of the shark family, I would think that they are equipped with the Lateral Line Sensing Systems of that genus:

http://www.elasmodiver.com/shark_senses.htm

Vision:

Many sharks depend heavily on their vision whilst hunting although there are occasions where the eyes play little or no role at all such as when a hammerhead is searching for a stingray which is completely buried. In the majority of species, the eyes are well developed, large, and complex structures. Some species are also able to sense light and dark through a thin area of skin on top of the head which leads directly to the pineal gland in the brain. As there is no lens to focus the light there is no shape perception but the shark may be able to use the differing light levels to time its vertical migration throughout the day.

When sharks are close to prey it appears that their electrical sense takes over from sight or smell. This would explain why sharks which have been chummed to a fishing or shark diving boat will sometimes attack the propellers and other metal objects rather than the bait which has been put in the water in front of them. Photographers (and I can testify to this) may have the unnerving experience of having a shark maul their underwater camera strobes which emit strong electrical fields. Sharks will also respond more aggressively to the erratic electrical signals emitted by a wounded animal. This may explain why shark attack victims are repeatedly bitten whilst rescuers swimming next to them often remain completely unscathed.

http://www.physorg.com/news10587.html

Using molecular tests, scientists found two independent genetic markers of neural crest cells in the animal’s electricity-sensing organs. Analysis shows these cells migrate from the brain and travel into the developing shark’s head, creating the framework for the electrosensory system — a previously unknown function of a much-studied group of cells, according to Renata Freitas, a doctoral candidate in the zoology department and first author of the paper.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/educ...ingray_city.htm

The venom is a fairly powerful nerve toxin which affects the heart in complex and dangerous ways.

From what I can find out possibly yes?

http://www.guppiesfishing.com/modul...rticle&sid=1817

Stingrays
(Potentially serious injury)

Stingrays, Skates and Rajiformes are cartilagenous fish related to sharks. As bottom feeders hiding in the sand, they may be stepped on by the people while wading in shallow water. Stingrays posses a long tail with a venemous barb at the end. If a ray is stepped on, it will flail its tail around vigorously. T he sharp barbed tail can result in considerable damage to the hapless reef walker. The venom in the barb affects the cardiovascular system (heart and blood vessels) and can even cause irregular heart rhythms and in some cases cause the heart to stop beating all together!

Symptoms of Stingray venom injury

· The barbed tail itself can do considerable damage and there may be significant bleeding (hemorrhage).
Pain at the site of injury is immediate and intensifies over 30-90 minutes. and will gradually subside over the next 6-48 hours depending on the amount of venom delivered.

· The venom from the barbed tail affects the cardiovascular system (heart and blood vessels), causing both peripheral vasoconstriction (blanched white extremities) or dilatation (beefy red extremities).

· The venom may also cause arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats) or even asystole (the heart may stop beating altogether).

· The venom can act on respiratory centers in the brain and cause a slowing of respiration.

· Convulsion may develop from the venom's effect on other brain center.

Treatment of Skin injuries from Stingrays.

1. SEEK PROMPT MEDICAL ATTENTION! --The venom of stingrays can affect both repiration and heart rate. Intravenous medication may be necessary to maintain heart rate, and if respiration is slow enough, mechanical ventilation may be required!

2. The wound should be well irrigated with saline solution.

3. Stingray venom is destroyed by heat, and it is advisable to soak the affected extremity in hot water (120°F) for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

4. Intravenous calcium gluconate may be required to prevent muscle spasms.

5. Local infiltration of the wound with lidocaine may be required for pain relief, as well as meperidine or some other narcotic analgesic.

6. Surgical debridment (removal of dead tissue) may be necessary if the wound is severe. The patient should be given tetanous toxoid and antibiotics to prevent secondary infection.

Last edited:
buffalo roam said:
I would think it is very possible that they can target the heart, being of the shark family the would think that they are equipped with the Lateral Line Sensing Systems of that genus:

I forgot that they were related to sharks. Entirely possible, then, that they can sense electrical fields.

When you consider that the recent posts by TOR and Buffalo Roam have web links that reference at least six deaths due to strikes to the human heart since the early 1900s (and who knows how many more that were not reported in the literature), including several with puncture holes to the heart, it would appear that they have something that directs that serrated barb to the heart region. Eyesight would imply a degree of cognition which I don't believe they possess. Having the barb going to the strongest electrically discharging organ (the heart) would make sense, and not require any degree of cognition, other than pure reflex.

Perhaps we've uncovered some new thought in this area?! It certainly deserves looking into further.

Walter, I've learned more information about stingray in the last few day than I ever thought existed, I'm still looking for more information as I have been bitten by the bug to see what more information is out there, so wish me happy hunting. The idea of reflex is a good one as that is what is needed in the wild for a defense mechanism, it has to happen without cognition so I would believe it is a totally reflex action.

Walter L. Wagner said:
Having the barb going to the strongest electrically discharging organ (the heart) would make sense, and not require any degree of cognition, other than pure reflex.

Perhaps we've uncovered some new thought in this area?! It certainly deserves looking into further.

Interesting. Have a look at this pdf

Walter L. Wagner said:
When you consider that the recent posts by TOR and Buffalo Roam have web links that reference at least six deaths due to strikes to the human heart since the early 1900s (and who knows how many more that were not reported in the literature), including several with puncture holes to the heart, it would appear that they have something that directs that serrated barb to the heart region.
It's certainly interesting, and your conclusion might be correct... but your analysis is biased (this isn't a reflection on you, it's an artefact of the methodology).

Looking at deaths immediately introduces a bias to heart strikes, for obvious reasons... a strike to the heart is more likely to result in a death than a strike to other locations.

To test the hypothesis that there is a tendency for rays to strike to the heart, you need to collect a random sample of ray strikes (ie not specifically look for deaths or chest strikes), examine how those strikes are distributed, then do a statistical test to see if the number of heart strikes is unlikely to be a chance result.

Thanks, Pete. I'm aware of that bias. Lots of rays are small, and thrash their tails about when walked on. I suspect only the largest of rays have developed an ability to target a potential predator by a direct strike.

Perhaps we'll have a marine biologist test the theory by using a 'dummy' with simulated electrical heart, repeatedly towed over a ray, to see where it strikes.

Last edited:
I wonder if they are going to comb the sea where Steve Irwin was killed, and cull any sting-ray which they suspect may be the 'dangerous' culprit?

They do that with sharks, after all...

It would make his death in vain if they did that. This is the guy who cried when his favorite crocodile died, of old age.

Walter L. Wagner said:
Thanks, Pete. I'm aware of that bias. Lots of rays are small, and thrash their tails about when walked on.
Yes, a bit of quick web hunting reveals that most injuries are to the extremeties, probably because most injuries are due to stepping on a ray while wading (leg strikes) or handling (arm strikes - usually incurred by fishermen or collectors).

I suspect only the largest of rays have developed an ability to target a potential predator by a direct strike.
If any.
The study would ideally need to consider only injuries received while the chest was submerged, and differentiate by species if possible, although if the sample was large enough the latter might not be neccessary.

Perhaps we'll have a marine biologist test the theory by using a 'dummy' with simulated electrical heart, repeatedly towed over a ray, to see where it strikes.
That would be conclusive, but I don't think its necessary :)
A review of injuries treated at a suitable coastal hospital or medical centre should be sufficient.

Or perhaps we should look at strikes to natural enemies of rays? What animals are injured by rays most often? Cetaceans? Sharks? Seals?

Here are a few relevant references.

• This one discusses the electrosensory system of the Atlantic stingray. See also Related Articles. I can't follow the details - too much biology for me.
    Ontogenetic changes in the response properties of the peripheral electrosensory system in the Atlantic stingray (Dasyatis sabina). (Abstract)
    (Sisneros JA, Tricas TC, 2002, Brain, behavior, and evolution, vol 59 issue 3.)

• This one describes injuries in general, with references to some other works describing chest and abdominal injuries (both fatal and non-fatal).
    Stingray Injuries (pdf)
    (Meyer, P 1997, Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 8, No. 1.)

• This one describes an injury to a horse!
    Stingray injury to a horse in coastal waters off eastern Australia (No abstract. Subscription required for full text)
    Riggs CM, Carrick JB, O'Hagan BJ, Rayner S, Pascoe RR, and Fischer AB, 2003, (Veterinary Record, Vol 152, Issue 5)
    Written up in a small town near me. Probably the most exciting thing they had happen all year!

• This one describes (among other things) two freakish cases of strikes to the chest by stingrays out of the water:
    Fatal and non-fatal stingray envenomation (pdf)
    (Fenner P, Williamson J, Skinner R, 1989, Med J Aust issue 151)

• This one describes a strike which pierced the coronary artery of a snorkeller.
    Survivor of Stingray Injury to The Heart (pdf) - updated to a better link
    (Weiss BF, Wolfenden HD, 2001, Med J Aust 175)

• This one focuses on the demographics of victims, but might contain relevant data.
    Pattern of stingray injuries reported to Texas poison centers from 1998 to 2004 (Abstract only)
    (Forrester MB, 2005, Human & Experimental Toxicology, Volume 24, Number 12)

• This one is interesting, but I'm not sure if it's relevant. It says that the injury occurred during a fight... it doesn't clarify whether the fight was with a stingray, or with another youth armed with a severed stingray tail.
    Spinal Cord Injury with a Stingray Spine (pdf)
    (Groen RJM, Kafiluddin EA, Hamburger HL, and Veldhuizen EJFH, 2002, Acta Neurochirurgica, issue 144)

• And a bunch more I haven't looked up:
    • Wright-Smith RJ, 1945, A case of fatal stabbing by a stingray,Med J Aust 2
    • Cooper, NK, 1991, Stonefish and Stingrays: Some notes on the injuries they cause man, J R Army Med Corps, 137
    • Liggins JB, 1939, An unusual bathing fatality, NZ Med J 203
    • Russell F, 1958, Studies on the mechanism of death from stingray venom: A report of two fatal cases Am J Med Sci 235
    • Knight J, 1989 Obituary: Andonis Neofitou, better known as Anthony Newly, SPUMS 19
    • Rathjen W, Halstead B, 1969 Report on two fatalities due to stingrays, Roxicon 6
    • Cross TB, 1976 An unusual stingray injury: The skindiver at risk, Med J Aust 2
    • Ronka EK, Roe WF, 1945 Cardiac wound caused by the spine of the stingray (suborder Masticura), Milit Surg 97
    • Cadzow WH, 1960, Puncture wounds of the liver by stingray spines, Med J Aust 1

I'm sure that Steve Irwin's death will be written up in the medical literature as well as the public media. The video will likely be of some use to researchers. Look out for it in the Medical Journal of Australia in a year or two.

Last edited:
Here is a description of what happens when a barb it set the poison is carried by the barb in 2 sacks that rupture when it is set, and does a continuous release:

http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/magazine/47/stingray.htm

Discussion
Stingrays are the largest of the venomous fish, and there are many species in the Australian coastal waters. The tail of the stingray carries at least one barb or spine that may be up to 37 cm long. The barbs are cartilaginous and retroserrate, and covered by a film of venom and mucous contained within an integumentary sheath. Two longitudinal ventrolateral grooves contain venom secreting glands. Stingrays usually lie in the sand on the seabed. When disturbed by pressure over the dorsum of the body, the tail is thrust upward and forward, driving the barb in to the victim. Rupture of the integumentary sheath on penetration allows the venom to be released.

mountainhare said:
I wonder if they are going to comb the sea where Steve Irwin was killed, and cull any sting-ray which they suspect may be the 'dangerous' culprit?

They do that with sharks, after all...

The suspected 'killer' Stingray should be pretty easy to find, just look for the one with the missing 'barb'. Let's see......There must be about million stingrays swiming around down there. :D

Back