Stess & Immunity Link?

2.How does stress affect the body? The body responds to stress by releasing stress hormones, such as epinephrine (also called adrenaline) and cortisol (also called hydrocortisone). The body produces these stress hormones to help a person react to a situation with more speed and strength. Stress hormones increase blood pressure, heart rate, and blood sugar levels. Small amounts of stress are believed to be beneficial, but chronic (persisting or progressing over a long period of time) high levels of stress are thought to be harmful (1).
Stress that is chronic can increase the risk of obesity, heart disease, depression, and various other illnesses. Stress also can lead to unhealthy behaviors, such as overeating, smoking, or abusing drugs or alcohol, that may affect cancer risk.
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/stress

Though indirectly, above link also somewhat suggest somewhat same aspect. Stress hormones, Acute & chronic stress, para-sympathetic nervous system, silent damages or death, immune defennce response compromising etc. can be relevant to this aspect.

"This second hypothesis has been supported in the case of other types of cells responding to different stimuli and is the basis of the tolerance and dependency that develops to many drugs."

This part from above link can be important to understand.

There have been numerous studies indicating stress hampers the immune system. One was conducted over many years by an Ivy League professor who studied chimps in Africa.

There have been numerous studies indicating stress hampers the immune system. One was conducted over many years by an Ivy League professor who studied chimps in Africa.

I couldn't get that study. Here issue is that actute stress upregulate immune system whereas chronic stress compromise/weaken it.

Better, it is to be understood from the link provided in OP that,
whether chronic stress can act as a silent killer because if immune
system is compromised due to chronic stress, which can be common currently esp. in big crowded, unhegienic & polluted cities, don't works on need, it may be a cause to silent
death or damageing?

Can you comment on validity of it....

I’m really not sure what you are expecting. You have posted information from a scientist at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and a fact sheet from the American National Cancer Institute. I can pretty much guarantee that no one here at Sciforums can speak on this topic with any more authority than the links you have provided.

In that case, thanks. As such, I think we can consider chronic stress as silent killer? If immune response is compromised due to chronic stress (as per link) and will not work on need, obiously it can be fatal or much damaging. OK?

Last edited:
Our bodies are designed to deal with regular, intermittent stresses.

Chronic stress is unsustainable in the long run, and in many will present as symptoms of concern if they go unalleviated.

I have worked graveyard shift for 6 years and also work a part-time day job and have been researching the stresses involved in working against the normal circadian rhythms. My 'test group' to observe consists of about 200+ persons. High blood pressure became a problem for several in short order, from the interruption of their sleep patterns and the subsequent additional stresses arising consequent to.

Only about 10% of the population can handle graveyard shift, and as the duration of working graveyards persists, that percentage wanes rapidly.

It has been very interesting to observe and comprehend the effects of extended graveyard shift on people. There is a cycle of recurring mood disorder that surfaces every several months and has been consistent in the persons I have studied.

The first time it strikes, people think they are having a nervous breakdown, and so I became a councilor for night crew by dint of being their shop steward. We instituted a healthy night lunch which also was of great assist as it alleviated at least some of the concerns of adequate nutrition, which falls by the wayside when one's sleep gets off-pattern.

The nigh two years that I have been working a half week on day shift and the other half on graveyards has been a 'trip', lol......

I hang out on science forums and chess as a replacement for a social life as my schedule is so erratic. :D

Stress--actute and chronic, impact on immunity is well studied and immune compromising/tolerance is indicated. I think it is relevanct to Sympathetic nervous system(fight or flight) & stress hormones.

Whether Relaxation--actute or chronic, is also simultaneously studied or not? Can there be some physio/pathological conditions, somewhat relaxation tollerance/compromising due to opting chronic relaxation(over sleep, sedentary lifestle, taking excess rest etc.)? I think it is related to Parasympathetic nervous system(PNS, rest and digest). So it may be relevant to somewhat compromising/tolerance of PNS due to chronic relaxation. It may also have some link with stem cell system. Can you tell?

You seem somewhat over-enthusiastic to find an answer or a "peer review" by your peers.

Is there a relationship between stress levels and illness? Absolutely. And there's thousand rats-in-cages experiments to prove it.

I have had stressful jobs that made me sick- I remember one in particular that got me a diagnosis of I.B.S. from no other cause or clue where the problem was coming from- and I knew it was from my job which made me nervous to where I could shit in my pants upon command. I remember quitting that job and the I.B.S. went away magically.

And I have had jobs with little to no stress as well- sometimes to the point of boredom. Looking back I know how the crew of the Mariner's ship felt, but I digress.

You are asking because either you are experiencing it or you have to write a paper on it and you have a deadline. In either case, reply-

I simply want to understand. Yes, stress esp. chronic stress can cause illness & compromising of immune system. On the other side, I also want to understand, if chroninc relaxing habit can effect immune system?

Immunity and Stres

From my own personal experience I feel like I am much more likely to get sick or catch a cold when I am overly-stressed.

Jarred
Web Developer
ClaremontBioSolutions.com

Back