Stem Cells from leukocytes???

That'd be something all right; it would provide organ tissue graft stock, which would fix a lot of basic problems, and if they do prove to have properties like stem cells then they might be useful for dealing with neurological problems.

Whether they could fix ol' Christopher Reeve remains to be seen... that would be pretty cool...

haha...funny...to have a stem cell is one thing...to make an organ is another.

maybe it would be nice for research to have as many 'stem cells' as you want.

That's why I said organ tissue graft stock, not organs; they're doing simple stem cell injection procedures now if I remember...

Yes, I agree, growing a new kidney is going to be a real chore even if this thing does work, but it still advances the field somewhat.

At least you won't reject your own blood leukocytes.

If only this technology were as good as it claims to be... People complaining about research with embryos (whether cloned or discarded by fertility clinics) wouldn't have to worry anymore. No more ethical problems with laws and regulations, no more whining by extremists, no more fodder for bad TV specials. Sounds too good to be true.

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
haha...funny...to have a stem cell is one thing...to make an organ is another.

maybe it would be nice for research to have as many 'stem cells' as you want.

true, but still, it would be a hugh step forward into attaining that lofty goal.

as far as what comes next.
How does one induce a stem cell into becoming a hepatoblast?

would it be from electric stimulation (ie nuclear transfer technology)
or would one have to look deeper into the biochemistry of the organism?

perhaps coding for the production of a particular enzyme would be the catalyst....

Back