state of a dog's brain when resting

Search & Destroy

Take one bite at a time
I see my dog after a hard hour of lizard chasing relaxing by the screen door, tongue out, looking around, doing nothing.

What is it thinking? Perhaps thought is irrelevant to a dog.

During the lizard hunt I can imagine what is going through its mind. I guess because I have its objective in mind - to catch a lizard. From that I can fill in the blanks.

But when it is just laying down relaxing what objective does it have? What do you think is going on in that dog brain?

Is it calculating out what to do next? Is it in a state of nothingness, just letting its memories organize? Does anyone know?

I think it's probably thinking of its next meal, or of getting petted or going for a walk with its master...but who knows?

spurious said:
he is probably doing to quantum mechanics calculations. Dogs love doing that.
dogs are such a bunch of geeks, thats why they never rise to masters of the universe like cats

Dogs have doggie dreams when dreaming. When just lounging about, they are probably doing what we do: Chilling, thinking of good times, et cetera.

Yeah, I just read some scientific research that states that "dogs dream in pictures." Don't have the source, but you can google it.

Dogs sleep much more than humans. And no one would deny that humans are more intellectually evolved than canids. Still, it is my experience that the more you treat and talk to a dog like a human, the more it will respond like one and be more intellectually challenged. An owner who treats a dog like a dog can expect it to be nothing more than that. I've learned a lot from my dogs - more than vice versa - and I can only be forever greatful for having had the cherished opportunities to learn and dream with them.

Yeah, I just read some scientific research that states that "dogs dream in pictures." Don't have the source, but you can google it.

Dogs sleep much more than humans. And no one would deny that humans are more intellectually evolved than canids. Still, it is my experience that the more you treat and talk to a dog like a human, the more it will respond like one and be more intellectually challenged. An owner who treats a dog like a dog can expect it to be nothing more than that. I've learned a lot from my dogs - more than vice versa - and I can only be forever greatful for having had the cherished opportunities to learn and dream with them.

I 100% agree. Dogs, like most things, act how you treat them. To a point, anyway.

Originally Posted by valich

By doing this, I now have a dog that doesn't like other dogs

how exactly are you distinguishing treating a dog like a person or treating them like a dog. if you mean pampering as opposed to mistreatment, obviously I'd have to side toward a limited ammount of pampering, enough that the dog lives a fun life but not so that the dog gets lazy and fat and all.

dunno, guess i'm looking for clarification

I do give my girl lot's of attention - perhaps you could say pamper. We have a daily routine and I try to stick to. I don't just use the basic doggy commands. I talk to her like a person, yet not overly complicated. She picks up certain words, and can distinguish and understand more through the intonation of what I say and how I see it. We have developed a very mutual understanding this way. At times she gets perplexed and will cock her head back-and-forth like a human might when they don't quite understand something. I can tell that there's more than one thought process going through her brain because as I talk to her, and as she does strives more to listen and understand more-and-more, she'll still be very attentive to any other noices that she hears. One ear will be telescoped toward me, while the other will quickly tilt and focus in on any other noice that she hears, while still paying attention to what I try to say. This is what I mean. You can challenge a dog's intelligence more by treating them at a more advanced level, and they will develop and respond more this way. If you treat a dog only like a dog, then you can expect that that's only how the dog will act and behave. You can learn a lot more from animals if you take the time to learn more from them.

Back