Squirrel behavior?

Dinosaur

Rational Skeptic
Valued Senior Member
There are a lot of grey squirrels living in the vicinity of my apartment. My girl friend and I always carry nuts: Walnuts, Brazil, and Hickory (?Filberts or Hazel).

There are about 6-10 squirrels who know us and approach to get fed.

At various times I have noticed what I consider unusual behavior.

Recently, two squirrels approached. I gave a Brazil nut to the first and a Hickory nut to the second. The second squirrel went to the Hickory nut and ignored it. I picked the nut up. He came back a few seconds later and again decided not to take a Hickory nut.

This is the first time that any squirrel refused a Hickory nut and I wonder why. I examined the several nuts in my pocket and could see no difference among them. Perhaps the squirrel could sense something that I can not, but this seems unlikely.

Could the squirrel have wanted a Brazil nut, which he saw me give to the previous squirrel? This also seems unlikely. A human child might feel slighted at getting a cookie instead of a large piece of cake, and react this way. Would a squirrel? Is it possible that this squirrel did not recognize a Hickory nut as edible? This seems possible, since there are no such nuts growing near this complex. If this is the reason, then this squirrel must be lacking the ability to recognize any nut he has not previously encountered. No squirrel here has every ignored a Brazil nut, and then are certainly not native to Northeastern USA. Brazil nuts do not look anything like the normal foods eaten by local grey squirrels, so most of them must have general purpose nut-recognition functions wired into their brains. Was this squirrel lacking such a general purpose function?

A few years ago, there was an interesting incident which made me wonder about squirrel intelligence and/or consciousness.

My neighbor had a large dog who was old and fairly feeble. The dog could not walk up and down steps. His owner carried him. Once on level ground, the dog walked very slowly and it was obvious to me that he could not run.

While waiting for my girl friend I was feeding a squirrel, who returned every 2-3 minutes for another nut. When returning for the 4th or 5th nut, he saw the dog approaching and stopped. It took the dog several minutes to get near to where I was sitting at the entrance to my apartment. During this several minutes, the squirrel approached and retreated several times. Once he sat looking alternately at me and the approaching dog. The behavior suggested that the squirrel recognized that this dog might not be a danger. It suggested that he was applying intelligence rather than instinct to the problem. Was it safe to run up and get another nut? That dog looks very slow. I think I can outrun him if he attacks. Dogs are usually dangerous, but this one does not look like a threat. The squirrel waited until the dog was inside.

The incident made me wonder about whether that squirrel had consciousness and/or intelligence. Perhaps it was only two conflicting instincts, but it looked like a higher level brain activity.

Does anybody have any thoughts or the above, or has any one had a similar experience?

:) Squirrels are amazing. Like many other animals that are considered nuisances, I think their intelligence is often underestimated. There are many squirrels in my neighborhood, but I have never developed a relationship with any of them. Do the squirrels in your vicinity recognize you and know that you are trustworthy, or do you have to be patient and lure them each time?

squirrels are like, my favorite animal. they are super smart and they way they move is mesmerizing to me for some reason. at my grandmother's house nearby, theres a squirrel that has kind of become her pet. she goes outside with peanut butter either on a knife or her finger and the squirrel eats it. its cool.

OrbitingTheSun: There are about 6-10 squirrels which recognize my girl friend and me. We play golf when the weather is good and walk a few miles each morning when the course is closed in the winter.

The squirrels who know us wait for us most mornings. If we are later than usual, they sometimes come to the entrance of our apartment and peer through the glass door. There are 6 apartments which use this door. They run from 2 of the other residents, but know the rest will not harm them.

It took a bit of patience to get these squirrels used to us. We started by throwing nuts toward them from 10-20 yards (3-6 meters) away. After a while they would come to us.

We do not feed them by hand. Their teeth are sharp and they are timid when very close. If they must come very close to pick up a nut they grab it quick and run. I think a finger might get nipped if you tried to feed them directly. Also they try to steal from eachother, and you could get nipped by a second squirrel trying to steal.

I have become convinced that they are not quite as smart as a dog, but smarter than I use to give them credit for. I am also convinced they they have consciousness.

Are you sure these are gray squirrels and not fox squirrels? I've never seen gray squirrels approach like that. They seem almost like automatons compared to fox squirrels which WILL come up and take a nut from your hand. I've even had one come running up and climb my leg to get a nut in my hand before I could squat down to offer it to it.

http://homepage.mac.com/rstacy/squirrels01.html

I like squirrel too!

I hunt them. I kill them. I skin, gut and cut into pieces. 7 to be exact. Four legs, rib cage, loins and tail. Young ones are great salted & peppered, then dredged in flour and fried in peanut oil until golden brown. Older ones are only fried until light golden, then simmered and made into a stew.

Today was rainy and as such, was a great hunting day. I live on the edge of a big city and as such, have plenty of fattened squirrel but the neighborhood kids take frequent pot shots at them with their inferior BB guns. One of the older males I killed today had TWO BB's under the skin. Completely healed and encapsulated but definitely Crossman as they had a thick copper plating. I wish these kids would use the correct hunting arm.

I had them fried with spinach Greek style, roasted potatoes and a nice reduction gravy made from the skillet glazing. Most excellent suburban grazing.

Squirrel in another way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARKANSAS ROAST SQUIRREL

3 small Squirrels
3/4 cup Cooking oil
1/4 cup Lemon juice
2 cups Bread crumbs
1/2 cup Milk or cream
1 cup Sliced mushrooms, sautéed
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Onion juice
4 Tablespoon Bacon fat

Dress and clean squirrels, wash in several waters and dry. Cover with cooking oil mixed with lemon juice and let stand for 1 hour. Combine crumbs, with just enough milk to moisten, mushrooms, salt, pepper and onion juice. Stuff squirrels with this mixture, sew and truss. Place in roaster. Brush with bacon fat. Roast uncovered in slow oven (325 degrees) until tender, 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours. Baste every 15 minutes with fat. Yield: 6 Servings

I also think squirrels experience "fun".
I was in a park one morning (about 4 or 5 AM) on my way home from a night out.
It was just about sunrise, and I sat for a little while to watch the squirrels.

There were about 4 or 5 very small young squirrels with a few older ones around.

The young ones were running around chasing each other in circles and stuff on the ground.

Then, one of the young ones ran up the fence (about 5 feet tall) at full speed.
When it got to the top, it didn't stop it launched off the top bar backwards (with its back to the ground, like it was doing a stage dive).
It landed on its back on the ground.
Stopped for a second, then ran and did it again.
The other squirrels were watching.
Before long all of the young squirrels were doing stage dives and landing flat on their backs in the dirt with little puffs.
Going higher and faster than the last one.
It almost seemed like they were challenging one another.
This went on for a good 30 - 45 minutes.

It looked like they were having so much fun.
(I could swear the sounds they were making sounded like laughter :))

I have never seen squirrels do that before or since.

In case you are wondering, No, I didn't get drunk or high that night while I was out.
Totally sober.

Re: Squirrel in another way

Originally posted by Weisse Bora
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARKANSAS ROAST SQUIRREL

3 small Squirrels
3/4 cup Cooking oil
1/4 cup Lemon juice
2 cups Bread crumbs
1/2 cup Milk or cream
1 cup Sliced mushrooms, sautéed
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Onion juice
4 Tablespoon Bacon fat

Dress and clean squirrels, wash in several waters and dry. Cover with cooking oil mixed with lemon juice and let stand for 1 hour. Combine crumbs, with just enough milk to moisten, mushrooms, salt, pepper and onion juice. Stuff squirrels with this mixture, sew and truss. Place in roaster. Brush with bacon fat. Roast uncovered in slow oven (325 degrees) until tender, 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours. Baste every 15 minutes with fat. Yield: 6 Servings
Or you could just scrape 'em up off the side of the road, yeee haw!
You eat squirrels? LOL
Do you not have a tv? or do you just accept the fact that you're white trash and embrace it?

I don't know much about squirrels but I do know most people underestimate the intelligence of most members' of the animal kingdom.
When you hear animals work purely on instinct it is pretty much always bullshit. Granted maybe some insects and fish do but all mammals have fairly complex brains that we never give enough credit.
Squirrels won't write you a poem or make you a fake ID but they're obviously going to know their nuts, and envy is prominent among all walks of life. They're going to be actually better than us at summing up dangerous situations because thats an enormous part of their life.
Whatever intelligence squirrels need will be there in spades and they will undoubtedly have a little left over for fun or whatever.

PostOak: The link you posted was interesting. The local squirrels look like the picture of a Grey squirrel. The Fox squirrels pictured seem to be lighter on their chests and bellies than the local squirrels.

Frankly, I am not sure what type of squirrels the locals are. I am more a mathematician than a zoologist. Some of the locals have a bit of rust colored fur on their hind feet. Would this identify them?

I wish the link mentioned where the various types of squirrels are found. That might be the easiest way for me to identify them.

I am surprised that there would be a large difference in the behavior of the Fox & Grey squirrel. Their overall size/shape seems to be about the same, and they are both tree climbers.

Weisse Bora: My girl friend hopes you get indigestion or worse from eating squirrels. If you lived nearby, she might see how many strokes it would take to kill you with a five iron. She considers cats, cows, rhinoceros, and various other animals suitable for hunting. Dogs, squirrels, deer, bears, and a few others are sacred.

A neighbor of ours would like to have you live here. She went to Florida for 4 months last winter, and a family of squirrels took over her apartment. It was a mess. The mattress and upholstered living room furniture were turned into cozy nests, but had to be chewed up a bit first. They did not know how to use the toilets. The carpets were fine for this purpose, since they probably had no need to walk on the floor. These little guys are excellent jumpers. When they approach me from a distance, they jump from one tree to the next, and only use the ground for the last part of the journey.

Our neighbor calls them rats with bushy tails.

TV?

I have two, both color and both fairly new... basura blanco? I think not. I am quite advanced, driving a new Weisse Bora, not some lorry with multiple colour body panels...

I am an ardent believer in self-sufficiency and as such, do not rely on somebody to provide me with food as I can live off the land quite comfortably. A naturalist? In only the purist sense.

All meat I consume is natural, free of preservatives, hormones and antibiotics.

Beat me sensless with a five iron? Wow, I'd like to see that happen. Threats like that are useless. I prefer to call them "limb chickens" as the meat is like dark chicken. Yum. Perfect compliment to rabbit which is just like white chicken meat.

Last edited:
Dinosaur - I see you are in PA. Here's a website on squirrels by a guy from Pittsburgh. The large photo at the top is an excellent one of a fox squirrel. Your response about gray vs fox has me puzzled because the fox squirrel's underside is DARKER than the gray squirrel's. It's an orangey-brown whereas the gray's is a light gray -- almost white. As far as I can tell he has only posted photos of the fox, red, and black squirrels. I don't see a gray there.

http://www.pittsburghdiary.com/Mar/squirrels/squirrel.html

These two species do, indeed, behave quite differently in approaching humans. I AM puzzled by his remark that gray squirrels are great beggars. Perhaps the behavior of this species varies from region to region. Here, they ignore humans except to be afraid of them.

Last edited:
PostOak: Your are correct, the Fox squirrels are darker on their chests and bellies that Grey squirrels. I made a perceptual mistake.

I never paid much attention to the undersides of our local squirrels, which are seldom exposed. In my mind I recorded the underside as grey, when it is actually off white and much lighter than the back, legs, and tail. When I saw pictures of the Fox squirrels, the orange-brown underside seemed bright due being more colorful that the Grey Squirrel. It is more colorful, not lighter.

Yesterday, I directed my attention to the underside of a few local squirrels. I am now pretty sure they are Grey squirrels, and certainly not Fox squirrels. Their undersides are almost white.

Back