Spoon bending - what is it good for?

James R

Just this guy, you know?
Staff member
Probably the most famous "psychic" spoon bender is Uri Geller. Here's some food for thought about this particular ability.

Mr. Geller's claim to fame is that he can bend spoons with his mind. Oh sure, he claims a lot of other kookery, but it's the spoon-bending that most people know him for. He purports to be able to bend a spoon just by concentrating on it. Let's assume for the moment that he really can do this feat. Some observations about it:

1) His method is inefficient. It's not like before Uri came along, we were wondering how on earth we'd get a spoon bent. If the need for a bent spoon arose, we'd grab it in our two hands and bend it, simple as that. We didn't have to concentrate very hard on the task.

2) His method is slow. The "grab it with both hands and bend" method of bending spoons is demonstrably faster than the "concentrate and rub" method.

3) His method is unreliable. Believers in psychic ability call this the "sheep and goats effect." For some reason, when a skeptic is in the room or scientific controls are in place that would eliminate cheating, the spoon will fail to bend through mind power alone. Sometimes the "vibes" aren't right. However, the no-rubbing grab-and-bend method works independently of vibes, regardless of how many people in the room doubt it will work.

4) Most importantly, people don't need spoons bent. In fact, the optimal configuration for a spoon is un-bent. The only purpose for bending a spoon I can think of, is demonstrating one's psychic abilities. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single time I've needed a bent spoon. Fortunately, although I'm not psychic, should the occasion arise, I'm pretty sure I could bend one with just my hands.

So in conclusion — this man enjoys fame and, I presume, wealth, because he has a slow, inefficient, and unreliable method for accomplishing a task that no one needs done. He gets invited to TV shows to demonstrate this completely substandard method of performing this useless task.

I am almost certain I can find some job that no one needs done and find a really poor way to do it. I won't claim psychic abilities, though, just my own inept skill set. Do you think I can get some fame and money? I really only want a little….

Source: www.randi.org

Can he burn spoons too, or does he need a lighter for that? He's half way to one hell of a novelty heroin preparation act.

I know Spoon bending by Uri Geller is pure gibberish,
But assuming that he can do it,the author here fails to extend his thoughts or scale his thoughts.Assuming that you can alter your objects by using your brain,means you can alter or apply force to change molecular configuration could help us in several ways :
  • You could change the shape of Building without the need of construction material...?
  • You could actually change the direction of the Storm or Twister Touch downs by simply using your own brain.
  • You could alter a Nuclear Reaction by simply making reducing the speed of neutron(is it nslow moving neutron? as fas a i know) to hit the nuc for fission...
  • You could alter the Vista,if you dont like it.

...and many more...
so you gradually become equivocal about spoon bending,right?...

bye!

... assuming he can actually bend spoons with his mind ... his biggest use would be to teach people who don't have two hands to bend spoons with their minds :D

Interesting:
"So in conclusion — this man enjoys fame and, I presume, wealth, because he has a slow, inefficient, and unreliable method for accomplishing a task that no one needs done."

I still like the theory of Causality. If something is TO BE it has to eventually be perceived as HAS BEEN. Therefore if a cativated audience perceives a spoon to bend, then the spoon shall bend, if the audience are all skeptics or have their own delusion conspiracies then it won't.

I suppose it's the whole "ONE" thing..... Start chanting in unison....

Alpha, I presume you highlight 'because he has' as some vindication of Geller's powers?

It doesn't concede Geller has any mystic power though does it? Geller does bend spoons somehow, we've all seen it. The article was questioning his ability to bend spoon with his mind. However it is achieved, the critique still applies .

Therefore if a cativated audience perceives a spoon to bend, then the spoon shall bend, if the audience are all skeptics or have their own delusion conspiracies then it won't.

Only if audience was Neo? :D ;) and only if we live in the Matrix...

:D
bye!

zion said:
I know Spoon bending by Uri Geller is pure gibberish,
But assuming that he can do it,the author here fails to extend his thoughts or scale his thoughts.Assuming that you can alter your objects by using your brain,means you can alter or apply force to change molecular configuration could help us in several ways :
  • You could change the shape of Building without the need of construction material...?
  • You could actually change the direction of the Storm or Twister Touch downs by simply using your own brain.
  • You could alter a Nuclear Reaction by simply making reducing the speed of neutron(is it nslow moving neutron? as fas a i know) to hit the nuc for fission...
  • You could alter the Vista,if you dont like it.

...and many more...
so you gradually become equivocal about spoon bending,right?...

bye!

Well, he's been bending spoons for decades and has yet to learn to bend anything else. At that rate, perhaps one of his great great great grandchildren will have developed the ability to bend, perhaps, a ladle? Could be GENERATIONS before they could bend the path of a tornado or the like.
:D

Hahahahaha...;)

Or may be someone else like an Oracle might step in to help him out...:D

bye!

Alpha, I presume you highlight 'because he has' as some vindication of Geller's powers?
I'm merely pointing out that his wording implies he believes there's something to it (at least subconsciously).

Spoon bending is good for several things. One is Uri's career as a magician who doesn't want to admit he's a magician. The other use is bumming cigarettes in restaurants, or amusing children.

Back