Spitzer takes on pharmaceutical industry

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Article Source: New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com
Article Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/06/opinion/06SUN2.html
Article Title: "When Drug Companies Hide Data" (editorial)
Article Date: June 6, 2004

The attorney general's civil suit accuses the drug giant GlaxoSmithKline of committing fraud by concealing negative information about Paxil, a drug used to treat depression. The suit says that the company conducted five clinical trials of Paxil in adolescents and children, yet published only one study whose mixed results it deemed positive. The company sat on two major studies for up to four years, although the results of one were divulged by a whistle-blower at a medical conference in 1999 and all of the studies were submitted to the Food and Drug Administration in 2002 when the company sought approval for new uses of Paxil. At that time it became apparent that Paxil was no more effective than a placebo in treating adolescent depression and might even provoke suicidal thoughts.

Source: New York Times (registration required)

This is one of those things that my parents taught me to not believe was going on. My father actually apologized to me--in the wake of Enron and other scandals--for a couple of our arguments in our youth; I hope he's let go of those times, or else this might make him writhe.

And this is my mother's industry; she works for a major pharmaceutical company, though not GSK.

Between my father's old capitalism which rejected any suggestion of impropriety among capitalists without explicit proof (which, as we know, is hard to come by when a company is allowed to hide evidence) and my mother's tenure with the industry, this sort of issue is supposed to be unthinkable.

And now here it is, and there is no sense of vindication. Only relief that someone finally figured out a way to try to break the cycle.

The only stake I have regarding Paxil, though, is that I have directly rejected it once. I almost want to call up the doc and ask him his opinion.

If Spitzer can prove the allegations, the folks at GSK who are responsible for the misinformation ought to be tried for murder in any suicide or other death related to their drug.

Back