Speaking in Tongues

Bowser

Namaste
Valued Senior Member
I have witnessed this once when I was a teenager, when I went to my older brother's church. Certainly the woman who was doing it wasn't simply acting out (I had know her since I was a small child), but I still wonder about the nature of such a thing. If it's not induced by spiritual intervention, then what is it? :shrug:

Glossolalia. An interesting phenomenon. Personally (as a complete laymen who has observed it) I think it's basically a "short circuit" in the brain. An overload of some neuro-transmitter of some sort.

Also interesting is that it in no way resembles the event in the Book of Acts that some sects take their name from.

Here's an interesting article: http://www.skepdic.com/glossol.html

http://www.gospel.com/topics/speaking+in+tongues

1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. 2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to people but to God.
Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves

So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying?

So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

those quotes are from the bible..

it basically says that one should not talk in tongues unless there is someone to interpret it, IOW if you go into a church and hear ppl talking in tongues without an interpreter they are only doing it to posture there religiosity.

http://www.gospel.com/topics/speaking+in+tongues

those quotes are from the bible..

it basically says that one should not talk in tongues unless there is someone to interpret it, IOW if you go into a church and hear ppl talking in tongues without an interpreter they are only doing it to posture there religiosity.
Here is the rub.
How does one know if someone will be able to interpret?

Talking in tongues is, by most accounts, spontaneous.
I have never heard it said that someone stood up and said, 'Now wehn I start talking in tongues, will the people who understand me please let the others know what I am saying'.

As for the interpreter, how do we know they are not doing it to posture their religiosity?
If the tongue speaker, is bogus, might not the intrepreter be bogus as well?

Among some (most), the speaker himself does not know what he is saying, or so the bible tells us.
He may be truthful, and the intrepreter bogus, and he would not know. The group would not know it.

Now snake handlers, if they die, there is no doubt. Much more convincing.

there's no way to know if someone's faking it really, and we all know that people do all kinds of things to posture their religiosity. it says that in the bible. i suppose that if someone heard the message interpreted, and it really meant something to them personally, and it was impactive to them, i could see why they would have a reason to think it was legit.

i've thought about this a lot because like i said, my grandma used to speak in tongues, and i've been really close to her all my life. i'm also a person who's had all kinds of weird spiritual things happen to me, but have never been even remotely inclined to speak that way, or have i had any impactive messages delivered to me that way.

my grandma was an honest, decent woman as far as people go. i KNOW she loved jesus, and was very sincere in her faith. i never got the impression she was faking it. i was knee-height into grade school when i used to go to church with her, and i'll tell you my honest impression from back then and now.

first of all, she used to do it a lot when i was very young, and while they attended a small and hometown church of god. i hated it. it scared me, and i wished she wouldn't do it. though it was somewhat fascinating at the same time. i just didn't like the attention probably. i was a shy kid. i didn't like that church actually. the people were fucking crazy; everybody all crying and laying hands and falling down and running around in the aisles. to me, as a child, it was like romper room for adults, and it was creepy. they used to turn that shit on and off, as if it had a switch every sunday. she used to have prayer meetings at her house too and it was the same thing.

it was like play time with god, or play time with the spirit. it seemed that way to me then and it still does. like they were playing with it as if it was a toy. they were genuinely intrigued by it obviously, and they may have had reasons for coming together like, if someone was sick or whatever. but really i got the impression that it was just a fun, exciting thing for them to do.

and then, at some point they left that church and started attending a much larger church that was not in their hometown. the congregation was quieter (which i appreciated), and grandma didn't speak out nearly as much in that church. and over time that church built a much larger new church, that attracted a huge congregation, and the speaking in tongues ceased entirely.

i don't necessarily think the spirit doesn't have a language, and that there may be times when being gifted with it was purposeful. i just don't get the impression that within religiosity, that is what's going on. i think it's purpose is more of cultural, recreational, or ritualistic perhaps.

When taking hallucinogenic drugs many times I've spoken in "tongue" for words were amiss and were only a jumble of light patterns and colors. Now a days I just drink a little to much and I start speaking in tongue to people I do not know. :cheers: :D

it was like romper room for adults,
:roflmao:..never heard it described as such..LOL

they used to turn that shit on and off, as if it had a switch every sunday.
it was like play time with god, or play time with the spirit. it seemed that way to me then and it still does. like they were playing with it as if it was a toy. they were genuinely intrigued by it obviously, and they may have had reasons for coming together like, if someone was sick or whatever. but really i got the impression that it was just a fun, exciting thing for them to do.
sounds like they used it as an excuse to bond..

I have only heard it on TV, but since it was on TV I assumed that the person was regarded by the Pentecostal community as an honest representative sample of the phenomenon. It did not sound like language; it was too simple. Like doodle-oodle-boodly-wobba-dobba.

Since then I've looked up references on the subject and apparently it's more common for glossolalia, as it's known, to resemble true language a little more closely than the example I heard. It generally uses most of the phonemes of the speaker's native language, arranged in combinations that occur in that language. E.g., an English speaker would not utter words like FTONA or BZAME, even though they are easy enough for us to say, because those consonant clusters (ft and bz) don't occur at the beginnings of English words. When Spanish-speaking Pentecostalists speak in tongues it sounds more like Spanish. So I guess I was wrong and the lady on the TV show was not a typical practitioner of the phenomenon.

The consensus among linguists seem to be that glossolalia is not language. These people are not speaking a language that just happens to be one that neither they or we can understand. It doesn't have the kind of repetitive patterns that all human languages have, and even things like computer code have, that invariably form in encoded information.

Linguists are only experts on language, so I didn't notice any of them offer an opinion on what this is, only what it is not.

Glossolalia was renowned at ancient Oracle of Delphi, whereby a priestess of the Greek god Apollo spoke in "tongues". I've seen people do it at a Pentecostal Church. With enough practice, apparently, most people can do it at will.

I wonder what THAT is doing to the brain. I mean, temporal lobe seizures aside, WHAT happens when you force your kids to do that?

All you have to do is put your brain in neutral, your tongue in gear, and hit the accelerator.

Glossolalia was renowned at ancient Oracle of Delphi, whereby a priestess of the Greek god Apollo spoke in "tongues". I've seen people do it at a Pentecostal Church. With enough practice, apparently, most people can do it at will.

I wonder what THAT is doing to the brain. I mean, temporal lobe seizures aside, WHAT happens when you force your kids to do that?
M*W: I've always been interested in learning about glossalia. Some Pentecostal churches in Southern WV (where I was born) handle poison snakes and drink strychnine to show their faith in god. Here's a clip with a montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUdc5h10zTo&feature=related

Originally Posted by Bowser
If it's not induced by spiritual intervention, then what is it? :shrug:
I'll tell you what, you'll never know the true meaning of mass delusion/hypnosis until you've attended an old-time Pentecostal tent revival. I was raised in a Pentecostal church and became baptized by fire in the holy spirt at the tender age of eleven. Speaking in tongues was an important practice in my parents church. Every week, just as the praise (fast songs) and worship (slow songs) portion of ths sermon was wrapping up, everyone would just stand there, muttering to themselves praises to the father, son and holy spirt. Most had their arms raised, "filling their cups" until a member of the congregation became so "filled with the holy spirt" that they would begin speaking in an unknown tongue (Oooh-da-da-da-da-shi-da-da-no-kai-ma-she-ya-da-da-mo-no-ka-da ...). Oh yea, I'm not kidding you. Most of the time, but not always, a second person will then be "moved by the holy spirt" to translate what was just spoken in tongues. I am convinced that all forms of religion are archaic relics of human evolution but here I am twenty-two years later and I can still speak in tongues. If you ask me, this behavior is more biological than it is spiritual. Believe it or not, closing your eyes and uttering a string of random syllables to form sentences of gibberish can actually bring on a sense of peace.
http://www.wbur.org/npr/132078267/neurotheology-where-religion-and-science-collide
The mind is an amazing thing!

Last edited:
Back