?Space chemical composition?

Keria

Registered Member
Hello this is my first post here.

We (that is a bunch of friends and me) are passionate about space, astronomy ... and science fiction.

During an agitated discussion one night we were trying to imagine what a 'space animal' could be like. We got so excited about the topic that we decided we want to design a precise chart of how an animal living in outer space could function.
We know it isn't very realistic but we want to give it a go.

Of course this creature would be conditionned by its environment. I have looked everywhere on the internet to get a precise analysis of the composition of space and of interplanetary space but I havn't had any luck so far. I know that the composition would vary from place to place but still, there should be a constant base of some very rare gases and particules.

Could anyone enlighten us or point to a link that would discuss the matter?

We are also willing to discuss the concept of a living creature with anyone that is interested so don't hesitate to throw in your opinion on it. (please don't tell us it's impossible for any creature to live in space we know that allready :rolleyes: ;) )

Thanks for any input

ps sorry for my english
pps I will post a msg in the biology room as well to ask about anaerobic animals

Thank you

I would guess some kind of bacteria or virus. Animals from other solar systems or even on Mars do not have to look anything like animals on earth. Each animal is suited for its environmet. So, thats the best start that I can give you.

First off, any critter that lives in space is going to have to either go on long diets while looking for food, in the inbetween times or it is going to be restricted to a certain area where food is available. Space is so huge that lifetimes could easily be spend in just traveling from one star to the next.

Interstellar space, being what it is, is nearly void of anything a creature could eat, unless it is in the form of raditation. No, not nuclear raditation but x-rays, light, radio, and simular.

If it could make a meal of such raditation, then pickin's are still slim as there is not a lot of that there. (inverse square law)

What method could it have for movement in space? Something that it makes a meal of and there is enough left over to make it move? That means that what ever it consumes there must be a large part of it that is not digestable to get enough for propulsion. Not very feasable.

It would also have to have some method of withstanding interstellar cold. In other words some method of keeping whatever it calls skin, or what ever it uses as a container to hold itself together. That means it must have a high metabolism. Very high. That is a lot of energy to expend to just keep warm.

Internal pressure would be yet another problem. Anything that would allow pressure internally, such as a method of movement, must also remain inside till used. Space, being a vaccum, would want it. In otherwords it would want to leak out. Grains of sand, micrometerites, even comets and just rocks floating around would be a danger to it.

Just a thought...

Thanks Wet nice considerations - it's pretty much what we discussed all night - most of the problems we couldn't find realistic solutions for. (amongst other, some solutions we though about not realistic but credible: transportation: sail-like wings using star particules light and energy like solar winds thus wasting well...no energy for travelling - food: carbon particules, rare gases - pressure and especially cold might be unsolvable issues yes but we're still 'working' on those ones)
Ok this thing is too Sci-fi to be realistic so I guess we will have to 'skip' certain imbarrasing issues but only the ones that will really not find a solution for :)

You're right Slacker. Of course the first thing we though realistic was the travel of micro-organisms. We were wondering if earthly creatures like certain bacteries could survive a travel hrough space but there again they would only travel through space and it wouldn't be their natural environment. Maybe there can be a compromise to make micro-organisms live out there.

I don't agree with the moving - if this posts turns into creature discussion I can't help it - still I posted to get info on the composition of space - our idea was to see what gases could eventually be used by such a creature to survive. Now I'm sure this post will be more confortable for long discussions in the pseudoscience forum but please my main interest here is still to get info on the composition of the 'void'.

Thanks for the replies and we're still looking for info on galactic void composition.

Sorry again for my english

http://www-691.gsfc.nasa.gov/~ice/LabPage/interste.htm

The materials required for life as we know it exist in space. However, they only reach great concentration on/in planets. The only thing between big messy batches of these organic molecules and life is time. Given the far greater abundance of these materials on planets, you are far more likely to find life on planets. However, the materials are out there...

Drifting rocks in space hold lots of oxygen, nitrogen, other useful things. In fact oxygen also drifts free in open space, but of course is more common in clouds.

Well let me solve your chemical problems.
this information will propell you understanding of chemistry and chemicals to the foundation of the galaxy, solar system, and to new heights.

The event of chemical combination is a factor of a simple forumla, that governs chemistry through out the solar system and galaxy. this formula is the basis of gravity for a region of the galaxy. here the basis of gravity is mass. the basis of gravity for a given sun in the galaxy is the number of suns that surround it. for a solar system it is the numbder of suns and planets that surround it.
in the case of our solar system there are some 70 bodies, and in our local star group some 30 suns this gives the number of bodies of mass a numbder of about 100 bodies or in some cases 120 bodies.
these bodies of mass define the gravity effect of are region of the galaxy.
the number of combinations of these bodies defines the base of chemical combinations in our region of the galaxy, this number found by the following formula.
120 X 120 = 14,400
this means that 14,400 chemicals will exist through out are region of the galaxy in abundance.
the fact that chemicals are the construction of several chemical means that 14,400 base chemicals will be constructed into less abundant chemicals, this number is found by the follow calculation
14,400 X 14,400 = 207,360,000 chemicals
this means that 207,360,000 chemicals will exist 14,400 base and abunadant chemical, and about 297,345,000 sub chemicals or composits.
14,400 and 207,360,000 chemicals are the base of assembaly of chemicals relative to gravity matrix in our region of the galaxy. this gravity matrix also defines the stabity of atoms in our region, basically how many diferent atoms exist in our region of the galaxy.
the event of atoms follow the gavity matrix of or region, in there existance and are constructed to form chemicals by the same gravity matrix, because of this the number of atoms must be assigned to the matrix in construction.
where the matrix of chemical construction is in total 207,360,000

to find the complete number of possible chemicals the total combination of atoms must be found, and is as such
94 X 94 = 8,836 (including -1 ion differences)

the combinations of atoms 8,836 is then multiplyied by the matrix of construction as such

8,836 X 207,360,000 = 1,832,232,660,000

thus the total number of possible chemicals in our region of the galaxy(star group) is 1,832,232,660,000 chemicals.(not including -ion states -2 thue -7 natural)

currenlty the world has record on earth of at least 4,040,000 chemicals more have been added. of this chemical assortment about 70,000 are in common use.

DWAYNE D.L.RABON

Last edited:
Dwayne : :eek: JJJBAH Massive Jaw Drop :eek: amazing.
So I guess we can assume that most material needed to sustain life are present in space only in very very subtle quantities making very improbable if not totaly impossible for life to organise out there (as you say Adam).

Of coures *smack the forhead* my question was stupid there is all the same materials there is on earth only more because we're just a tiny area lost in space. I guess it really depends on what area of space galaxy you look at.

So my problem is not WHAT chemicals there is (more than the ones we've got here) but WHERE they are concentrated. From concentrated to very rare I imagine it should be organised something like this (feel free to add to the list):
- skipping black holes obviously even though they might content a lot of matter, they are too dense
- dense planets, stars
- gazeous planets

- super novae (depending on their density)
- gaz clouds (what are ones the most commonly encountered in space? I only know of of ether clouds and still I don' really know what they are , I'll check on that)
- interstellar space
- areas of greater concentration due to source of local gravity (like aroud galaxies)
- inter- and outer-galaxical space th least dense

I posted a thread discussing the different alernative life forms that don't need oxygen to live - although it's a bit irrelevent now that we can assume there is in some way O2 in space (I know, soooooooooooooooooooo rare).
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17272
some very amazing findings .

ps: Sorry for the complaining about moved thread you were right it belongs here - Thank you

This forum is great I think I'll stick around
Have a great day all - seeya fellas!

Back