Spa-get out of here!

such things are commonplace when the understanding of religion has left the public sphere

Can you kindly provide EVIDENCE! that the public sphere no longer understands religion? Basically people are coming more aware, that religion is just BULLSHIT!

At one point in history, religion was the source of education and understanding of the natural world around us. As that knowledge began to threaten to free the human mind from superstition, that knowledge became dangerous to religion and had to be supressed. Religion today is superstition dictated by the elite few.

Can you kindly provide EVIDENCE! that the public sphere no longer understands religion? Basically people are coming more aware, that religion is just BULLSHIT!

If a fool can concoct something and get attract a following in the name of religion it indicates that the understanding of religion has left the public sphere - just like if I could sell gold spray painted granite on the gold market it would indicate that the knowledge of what gold is has left the public sphere (even though people might say the word "gold" quite profusely)

At one point in history, religion was the source of education and understanding of the natural world around us. As that knowledge began to threaten to free the human mind from superstition, that knowledge became dangerous to religion and had to be supressed. Religion today is superstition dictated by the elite few.
now we have totally safe fields of knowledge that have flourished in the fields of industrialism
:m:

If a fool can concoct something and get attract a following in the name of religion it indicates that the understanding of religion has left the public sphere

To use your analogy above, don't you think that is exactly what happened 2500 years ago? Thus religion has never been understood in the public sphere! ;)

I had been taught that the purpose of religion was to explain that which we didn't understand. Rather than leave a tribe with a pile of "I don't knows", the being who would become the holy man or holy woman would try to assuage the fear of the unknown with a spiritual answer. Try to explain to the very primitive mind what makes a volcano erupt if you don't know yourself. If you told the people that it was an angry fire god living deep beneath the earth, well, it fit and it gave an answer.

Therefore, religion is based in misunderstanding and placebo answers. I believe it still fosters those things.

If a fool can concoct something and get attract a following in the name of religion it indicates that the understanding of religion has left the public sphere - just like if I could sell gold spray painted granite on the gold market it would indicate that the knowledge of what gold is has left the public sphere (even though people might say the word "gold" quite profusely)

Each of the religions of humanity is nothing more than "golden spray." And their followers are only willing to scrape away the sprays of cults other than their own, whilst believing that their cult is gold all the way through. To the believer, there is no reason to scrap at the surface to see if its just spray, since their doctrine tells them it isn't.

This is the beauty of the Pastafarian movement and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It exposes religious nutters for the nutters they are as they go on about how its an "invented" religion and "obviously" not real.

That was a good video, imagine only if all gods acted appropriately with love like those two, humanity would have never had experienced a holy war!

Each of the religions of humanity is nothing more than "golden spray."
that is your conclusion - lets see if it comes with any premises

And their followers are only willing to scrape away the sprays of cults other than their own, whilst believing that their cult is gold all the way through.
another conclusion - on a separate issue - however lets see if this one comes with a premise
To the believer, there is no reason to scrap at the surface to see if its just spray, since their doctrine tells them it isn't.
Nope - another (you guessed it) conclusion

This is the beauty of the Pastafarian movement and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It exposes religious nutters for the nutters they are as they go on about how its an "invented" religion and "obviously" not real.
perhaps in the minds of atheists (who already have a preconceived notion on the subject)

Regarding your post, its a bit hard to address since it is just a bunch of opinions - if you want to form a coherent argument you could try backing up your opinions with premises rather than further opinions - this will help others understand why you believe what you do (and, god knows, if your premises are good enough you might be able to convince someone)

It is my understanding that the understanding of religion has never been in the "public sphere". If it were, I would wager that there would be as many religions as there are opinions, wouldn't you think?
actually when there is no standard understanding of an existing object, the understanding of that object tends to get misrepresented and fractured up into many non convergent ideals

Back