Something about Justice, and being late, and ....

Are prostitutes human, and therefore deserving of justice?

• Of course. (Duh!)

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just because they're human doesn't mean they deserve justice.

• What? You can't rape a prostitute!

• Respectfully afraid to answer/Other

• Total voters

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Okay ... the summary, as I understand it:

• 2004: Jeffrey McKee convicted of raping two women at gunpoint.

• June, 2005: King County Superior Court Judge Douglas McBroom sentences McKee to 19 years in prison, considerably less than state sentencing guidelines indicate; the reason for this is that the raped women were prostitutes, and therefore not innocent victims; suggests victims only charged rape because they didn't get paid.

• July, 2007: Washington State Court of Appeals dismisses McBroom's reasoning, throws out McKee's sentence; three-judge panel rejects McKee's argument that crime was "more like robbery than rape". Expected new sentence for McKee is 30 years.​

There's a number of unsettling issues here:

First, why is McBroom still on the bench at all?

Secondly, if the complaint was that they didn't get paid, what did the gun have to do with anything?

Third, I'm not exactly a fan of stepping up a sentence the second time around. It just grates against my nerves, and that this is apparently a sleazoid doesn't mitigate the sentiment.

Lastly, where were these judges during the height of the drug war? When it came to sentencing, even the sympathetic judges always said, "My hands are tied."

(On edit) Oh, right ... the link: Last Days, Aug. 1, 2007

Back