Some specific questions about evolution

Mr. Hamtastic

whackawhackado!
Registered Senior Member
I have a basic, high-school biology, level of knowledge about evolution. I think it makes good sense and all, but I do have a few questions.

1:What was the evolutionary impetus toward developing sexual reproduction?

2:How did facial expression aid in survival?

3:What inspired the change from single-celled to milticelled life?

4:Is Human evolution at a dead-end due to the interference of technology?

I have a basic, high-school biology, level of knowledge about evolution. I think it makes good sense and all, but I do have a few questions.

I have a basic, middle-school biology, level of knowledge about evolution.

1. I don't know what impetus means :D
2. It might have been initially for for something other than communication
3. lol
4. No, nothing stops evolution

I know I didn't help you in any way, and I'm probably wrong on many things. Don't take my word for anything.

Happy to reply.

1. Sexual reproduction has the advantage of providing a greater variety of genes sets which can be selected by natural selection. In this way, a species can adapt more readily to a wider variety of situations. Call it, the evolution of evolvability.

2. Facial expressions provide valuable information to your peers in a silent way, useful while hunting, and a precursor to actual speech.

3. Multi-celled life has the advantage of being able to create highly specialized structures within the organism. Sponges still bridge the gap between single-celled and multi-cellular creatures.

4. No. We are still subject to selection pressures, most of them typical of animals in general, but some new ones due to civilization and technology.

Good questions.

1. Sexual reproduction began initially at the unicellular level. As single cells evolved, they developed a reproductive method that became increasingly complex, involving spindle apparatus to aid in the separation of the complex chromosomes. This process is now called mitotic division, and is present in all eukaryotic cells in essentially the same process. It is the asexual division of one cell into two.

Somehow, over time, a second type of cellular division also developed in those cells [now called meiosis]. It utilizes the same spindle apparatus, and begins similarly to mitotic division, but undergoes a second division so that four cells develop, instead of two, but they only have half a full-complement of chromosomes. A full complement is two chromosomes [of one type]. Having two is like always having a spare. If one section [gene] of the DNA on a chromosome goes bad, it is unlikely that its corresponding section [gene] will also go bad, so the cell can continue to function.

So, when a cell undergoes meiosis and forms four cells, one of those cells can then combine with another cell [of the same species] that also has a half-complement [called sexual union], merging to form one cell that now has the full-complement.

The impetus for that appears to be to allow for the ability of merging of those two cells, which allows for greater diversity in the cell of variations in the genes.

How exactly that occurred is difficult to answer, of course, because there are no 'fossils' -all we have now are the descendants of that ancient process, highly modified.

If you're truly interested in this area, there should be numerous treatises on meiosis and mitosis that explains this far better than this brief overview.

Eventually, over time, even the meiosis evolved to form two types of cells with half-complements [haploid], compared to the full-complement [diploid] cells. Those, of course, are called sperm and egg cells.

Eventually, over time, cells that had sexual reproduction absorbed prokaryotic photosynthetic cells, but failed to digest them so they became symbiotic, and developed several lineages we call brown algae, red algae, green algae, diatoms, etc., and those lineages also became multicellular [sea weeds; land plants].

Others that did not have that photosynthetic capability developed other lineages, some of which became single and multi-cellular fungi, and others that became single and multicellular animals.

Anyway, that is a very quick synopsis.

I will leave it for others to answer your other questions.

spidergoat-I understand the advantages, I guess my questions are unclear-

The first time sexual reproduction occured-how did it occur? Did a male and female of a species evolve at the same time, then find each other and reproduce? What would cause such an evolution?

The first face-How did this help whatever creature had it? Did a creature with an unmovable face mate with a creature with a movable face because the movement was seen as attractive?

Multi-cellular life-What made two cells join together and work in concert as one organism?

Hammy, one of things you need to apply to the concept of evolution is that it involves small changes over great periods of time, hence you need to understand that events such as you're describing do not leap from one to the other, but occur over long periods of time.

Q-I understand. It takes a long time. Just to use the face as an example, what happened to go from-no face to facial expression? Take a fly, a salamander, and a cat. They ALL have faces. I know cats have very slight facial movements, but don't know for sure if these denote communication. Does a salamander have expression? What about a fly? Is facial expression limited to verbally social animals?

Q-I understand. It takes a long time. Just to use the face as an example, what happened to go from-no face to facial expression?

The same thing as when an organism evolves a face, many small changes over many generations of evolution.

Take a fly, a salamander, and a cat. They ALL have faces. I know cats have very slight facial movements, but don't know for sure if these denote communication. Does a salamander have expression? What about a fly? Is facial expression limited to verbally social animals?

Although one particular species may follow a certain "branch" of evolution, others may not, hence comparisons can be difficult to draw. Do flies even have respiratory systems, for example? A fly may have a face but doesn't have a nose.

So, facial expressions and the ability to recognize them are based on those species that have followed those branches of evolution.

so is there a recorded first face? Or perhaps a better question, what is the most primitive face in the fossil record?

Just to use the face as an example, what happened to go from-no face to facial expression? Take a fly, a salamander, and a cat. They ALL have faces.
But they don't have movable faces like we do.
I know cats have very slight facial movements, but don't know for sure if these denote communication.
Cats are not social creatures by nature so it wouldn't do them much good to develop communication. Dogs are, and they have very slight facial mobility, maybe one or two more muscles around the muzzle than cats.
Does a salamander have expression? What about a fly?
I think you know the answer to that. Especially the fly. Insects have exoskeletons so there's no way they can make the outside of their bodies change shape.
Is facial expression limited to verbally social animals?
Facial expressions require intricate musculature, which most animals do not have. In addition, they only work well if the face is not covered with fur so you can actually see the skin move.

Humans have something like a hundred little muscles in our faces to make all those expressions. Even the other great apes don't have a fraction of that many.

Most mammals are limited to baring their teeth or flaring their nostrils. The primates can do a little better and our closest relatives, the chimps, bonobos, orangutans and gorillas, can do a little better than the rest of them, but still they can't come close to our range of expression. Parrots are intelligent, social and good communicators, but they have to get by with no facial muscles at all. Oddly, they have control over their pupils; hand a parrot an interesting new toy and watch his pupils dilate and contract rapidly.

So the first "face" as we know it had to be one of our recognizably human ancestral species of hominoids. They've gotten pretty good at reconstructing musculature from the patterns in bones, so perhaps they can tell us how many facial muscles the earlier species had. But I don't know if they can tell us whether they had the huge expanses of bare skin that make those muscles useful. Notice that even on men, almost all of the parts of our face that can move are the parts that don't have hair.

spidergoat-I understand the advantages, I guess my questions are unclear-

The first time sexual reproduction occured-how did it occur? Did a male and female of a species evolve at the same time, then find each other and reproduce? What would cause such an evolution?

The first face-How did this help whatever creature had it? Did a creature with an unmovable face mate with a creature with a movable face because the movement was seen as attractive?

Multi-cellular life-What made two cells join together and work in concert as one organism?

I'm guessing it first started as genetic exchange between organisms, many primitive creatures are both male and female, or change their "sex" at will, or at different points in their development. Since there was an advantage to this, the sexes eventually became more specialized.

Many creatures have faces, one can imagine a mammal making a warning sound if a predator approaches, eventually the animals can recognize the facial movements associated with the sound. Perhaps an animal throws up if it tastes something bad, eventually, the facial movements of preparing to throw up then express disgust.

Multi-cellular life - There was an advantage. One can imagine two one-celled animals cooperating on something, eventually that relationship becomes more formal and streamlined into one body. Sponges are examples of this, you can break them up into their individual parts which still live, but put them in the same place, and they will organize into specialized structures.

all of this is unendingly fascinating, so I'll venture a bit further. Why haven't any primates developed flight? This seems to me to be an obvious advantage. Why haven't octopedal invertebrates made the transition to land? With 8 appendages, it seems like they would have an automatic advantage. I know these seem like silly questions, but I have always wondered this stuff. Why did we develop a liver, for example? OR more to the point, the appendix. Has it ever had a use? I can flare my nostrils, and roll my tongue upside down, do I have a long line of ancestors who were also able to do this? What is the advantage of holding the egg on the inside, rather than laying it and having it fertilized?

Mammals did develop flight, they are bats. Some squirrels do glide. I imagine most primates that live on fruit and vegetables are too heavy to fly very well. Evolution doesn't design things from scratch, it can't go backwards or adapt a solution of another animal. Some octopi do work very well on shore, but their lack of bones is a limitation.

Eggs on the inside cannot be eaten by a predator, and it's warm. You can still hunt for food instead of sit on an egg.

all of this is unendingly fascinating, so I'll venture a bit further. Why haven't any primates developed flight? This seems to me to be an obvious advantage.

who says they wont at some point - they(we) are one of the more recent mamalian orders.
Energetically flight is very costly - so in many cases and in many environments it is most certainly not an advantage.
It helps to think of evolutionary advantages in similar terms to engineering problems and solutions, there's always a trade-off or compromise somewhere - flight requires compromises in size and diet, strength and size requires compromises in speed or agility, camouflage can restrict mobility etc etc. All of these strategies can be very successful - but they have a price nonetheless.
Make sense?

Why haven't octopedal invertebrates made the transition to land? With 8 appendages, it seems like they would have an automatic advantage.

when the cephalopods appeared they pretty much sealed their fate as exclusively aquatic branch of the mollusc phylum, as they almost completely lost their shells, and unlike their gastropod cousins, could no longer support their bodies on land or protect themselves from dessication - they made up foir it in pretty darned spectacular ways though and are easily the most evolved and intelligent of all invertebrates - rivalling and even surpassing even the most advanced vertebrates in many ways

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg19826531.000-the-secret-language-of-cuttlefish.html

Evolution is a myth but if you're talking about natural selection and the Origin of Species I think I know what you're talking about.

Survival from viruses which are cells's number one competitor. Since asexual species are genetically identical, 1 virus can wipe out an entire species of asexual organisms. However, in sexual species, there is genetic variation and some individuals will be immune to particular viruses.

See the best biology book in the history of the universe: http://books.google.com/books?id=fH...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Why haven't any primates developed flight? This seems to me to be an obvious advantage.
It requires enormous sacrifices for weight reduction. Birds have hollow bones, which break easily. They have air sacs that make use of the outside surface of their lungs, a favorite gathering spot for mites. Their immune systems are so stripped-down that avian medicine has not made great strides in conquering or even identifying their diseases. It would take a very long time for a mammal to evolve these systems. This is why flight is limited to the tiniest of mammals. (Bats fly, but "flying squirrels" can only glide short distances in a generally downward direction.)

An entire order of birds, the ratites, have evolved in exactly the opposite direction, and they have been fabulously successful. The ostriches, cassowaries, etc., gave up flight, grew to gigantic sizes, and use their long legs for running away from predators or kicking the crap out of the ones they can't outrun.

The psittacines evolved lethal hooked bills for fighting, prehensile claws for climbing, flock-social behavior for defense and primate-level intelligence for strategy. Many parrot species fly only incidentally and spend more time clambering. In aviculture, African Greys are noted for "flying like rocks."

Flying is perhaps not such an ideal ability.
Why haven't octopedal invertebrates made the transition to land?
The migration from water to land is similar to that from land to air. It requires losing a lot of weight and evolving whole new ways of getting about. For starters, if you want to be larger than a worm, without the buoyancy of water to support your floppy body you need either an exoskeleton, which allows you to reach the size of the largest cockroaches--about a foot long--or an endoskeleton like ours. Endoskeletons are not easy to evolve.

The cetaceans have taken a route similar to the ratites: lost their legs, returned to the sea and reached enormous sizes, becoming the apex predators in their ecosystems. In fact virtually every warm-blooded air-breathing animal that tries its luck in the water finds an easy life there. Penguins, ducks, seals, otters, polar bears... DNA analysis recently discovered that the cetaceans are merely the descendants of primitive hippopotamuses who swam all the way down the river to the sea, liked what they found, and kept going.
With 8 appendages, it seems like they would have an automatic advantage.
Yet myriapods (centipedes and millipedes) and arachnids (spiders) are almost all tiny and are virtually footnotes in the history of land animals. Even the insects with their six legs, while highly successful, are small. There's a reason engineers have standardized on four legs or four wheels to support their artifacts. It's the best compromise between adequate support and leaving enough mass for your original purpose.
I know these seem like silly questions, but I have always wondered this stuff. Why did we develop a liver, for example?
Livers are really important, they filter out toxins. As far as I know all vertebrates have them. You probably take fish liver oil or something similar to add antioxidants to your diet.
OR more to the point, the appendix. Has it ever had a use?
That question has not been definitively answered yet but it's getting a lot of attention. The most plausible theory is that it's just the vestige of a much longer intestine. We're the only primates who evolved into carnivores, so we no longer require miles of bacteria-rich intestines to digest cellulose. The other hominoids ("great apes") have appendices too even though their intestines are longer than ours. They still eat leaves, but insects and even larger animals are an important source of nutrition.
What is the advantage of holding the egg on the inside, rather than laying it and having it fertilized?
How about the fact that you can get by with laying a small number of eggs instead of dozens or hundreds which will provide food for predators?
Evolution is a myth. . . .
Huh? Please explain. Here in the Academy we call it a canonical theory.

In aviculture, African Greys are noted for "flying like rocks."

likewise the Norwegian Blue

norwegia.jpg

Back