Solitary Confinement in Gitmo

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
I've been reading excerpts from newspaper and wiki articles on how Gitmo prisoners (most of whom are incarcerated without charges or access to trial) have been kept in solitary confinement for years.

Are there any laws on how long a person can be kept in solitary?

And what are the effects of prolonged confinement in solitary?

I've been reading excerpts from newspaper and wiki articles on how Gitmo prisoners (most of whom are incarcerated without charges or access to trial) have been kept in solitary confinement for years.

As far as I know, not where Gitmo is concerned. Whoever set Gitmo up was quite clever.
Sam, you know that Gitmo was set up for the very reason that you speak of. It grants the gub'mint carte blanche permissions to do whatever they see fit, w/o having to worry about laws and attorneys.
While I'm not in total agreement with Gitmo, they did a dang good job in locking down any loopholes that any lawyers might try to exploit.

I'm not sure but making a hypothesis, I'd imagine that you would go insane after a while; kinda like Tom Hanks' character in the movie Cast Away.

As far as I know, not where Gitmo is concerned. Whoever set Gitmo up was quite clever.
Sam, you know that Gitmo was set up for the very reason that you speak of. It grants the gub'mint carte blanche permissions to do whatever they see fit, w/o having to worry about laws and attorneys.
While I'm not in total agreement with Gitmo, they did a dang good job in locking down any loopholes that any lawyers might try to exploit.

I'm not sure but making a hypothesis, I'd imagine that you would go insane after a while; kinda like Tom Hanks' character in the movie Cast Away.

What about outside Gitmo? What are the laws (are there any?) regarding solitary confinement?

Also, is this kind of punishment also a part of the legal system?

Are there prisoners who are kept in solitary confinement by law?

What about outside Gitmo? What are the laws (are there any?) regarding solitary confinement?
I'm sure there are. I'd have to do some research.

As far as I know it is. And actually, some of our Supermax prisons are designed for solitary confinement.

Are there prisoners who are kept in solitary confinement by law?
Yes. Found a link...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermax
In Supermax prisons, prisoners are generally allowed out of their cells for only an hour a day; often they are kept in solitary confinement.

mike said:
Not so much clever as very confident.

The Big Lie technique takes a lot of confidence to pull off.

re the question: extended solitary confinement is torture, and as such is forbidden by international treaty, US law, and the US Constitution. The US officials who enforce it at Gitmo are guilty of torturing prisoners, and as far as I can find out those in the military could in theory be shot by firing squad, or hung as was done to similar criminals after WWII.

There are supposedly laws against "cruel and unusual punishment". However, that term is currently defined so narrowly by the Bush administration that it doesn't really apply unless the punishment amounts to torture almost to the point of death.

People tend to become withdrawn. They also tend to hallucinate. They are fearful. The long-term psychological effects can be significant.

It is an accepted "extra" punishment in prisons across the US, and elsewhere. I'm not sure whether there are time limits on how long a person can be kept in solitary.

Back