Snead & Hogan were different: I miss them.

Dinosaur

Rational Skeptic
Valued Senior Member
For those of you who are true golf fans, no explanation or description is necessary. For those of you who are not, nothing could make you understand.

I miss Ben Hogan and Sam Snead. They, Nicholas, Palmer, & Player came from an era when winners were gracious and modest. When they made a great winning shot that gave them a tournament, they did not pump a fist, which they would view as gloating over a defeated rival.

When I watch modern athletes perform, I marvel at their skills, enjoy their performance, and admire their ability. Then, when they dance in the end zone, pump fists, and trash talk, they seem to be smaller men, less worthy of admiration.

Hockey fans have surely seen Bobby Orr in action. Greatest defenceman to ever play, and one of the greatest players period. When he would score he would put his head down, one hand up for a second or two, and then go take his spot on the bench.

Class act all the way.

I have no problem with guys who celebrate after big goals. But doing the celebration on a regular goal is asking to get a beating in hockey. When I was a little kid and I would score (not that frequently, as I'm a defenceman myself. And I was once the stay-at-home type) I would raise both hands in the air, jump up and be extremely excited. Now, I put it in the net, turn around, put my one hand up and go take my spot for the faceoff. It's called maturity.

Some people get it, others don't.

Back