Snakelord-- Jesus is God

Quigly

......................... .....
Registered Senior Member
If you want to discuss your views on whether Jesus was God or if Jesus was just a man, or if Jesus was both.

I don't mind discussing and will try not to get ignorant and rhetorical, just give you my views on this if you want to discuss.

well he must still be a man if he resurrected and chilled w/his homies and had fish snacks.

He was also God.

Can you explain what this scripture means then?

John 14:28
"You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

Clearly in the scripture Jesus is making a distinction between himself and God.

And:
John 20:17 - "I ascend to My Father and to your Father, My God and to your God."

How can he be a God to himself?

Plus, there are many scriptures where Jesus is praying to God- why would he pray to himself?

"You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

And:
John 20:17 - "I ascend to My Father and to your Father, My God and to your God."

Plus, there are many scriptures where Jesus is praying to God- why would he pray to himself?

How can he be his own Son, yet it was evident he calls Jesus his son and Jesus calls God the father and calls his elect sons.

From the other thread that started this.

Philippians 2:5-8

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

He was man and he was God.

John 1 also speaks of Jesus being part of the triune being. Read John 1:1-14
This talks about Jesus existing from the beginning in a different form who then became the form of Man. (Jesus as God)

Hi Quigly, yeah it's something I'd like to get into. The problem of course is.. other people :D

Still, I shall get to it, (it's lengthy so bear with me).

Oh and P.S when it mentions jesus "existing from the beginning" it actually refers to him as "the firstborn of all creation". That sentence in itself shows that jesus was a) born and b) created.

I have yet to meet one theist on this planet that would assert that god was created or born. (The instance is not talking about his human birth but an original birth - which would at best make him a demi or lesser god like gilgamesh).

The problem with him being born and created is that he then loses out to melchizedek, who was neither - but has always existed. It's quite interesting then to see that jesus merely gets given melchizedek's job - a job done by many, now done by jesus.. not the job of a god, but the job of a priest.

Still, I'll get back to you shortly.

Ok look, to begin with we must define "god". We must define the attributes that "god" would have. Not a god, but god. There are many belief systems out there that are polytheistic. You will find, (and lg will argue the case adamantly), that while there are many gods in a polytheistic system there still has to be one chief, one lord.. one boss god. To highlight the Sumerians you'll find the boss was tiamat. Yes, marduk created us but tiamat was the big boss, the god of gods as it were.

Now, you would argue that jesus is god. Not a god, but god. This undoubtedly fails without even going into much of a debate purely given but one of his statements:

Matthew 24:36
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father..”

This in itself gives a serious distinction between god and jesus. god knows something that jesus doesn't. The fact that one knows while one doesn't completely breaks apart any argument that they are indeed one and the same being. Simply put, they can't be.

jesus can be a god, but not god. He points this out frequently with statements such as "greater than I" and even with his begging at the time of his death.

The argument is of course that jesus is one third of god. He is still god - much like one of the three clover leaves is still technically a clover, but it does not work the minute one of those three knows something that the other does not. It shows beyond any credible argument that these beings have distinct differences and thus by definition are "different entities".

jesus can be smart, he can be powerful - but he is not omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent or anything the theist world would attribute to god.

The only real argument that can be made is that jesus, (who is god), made himself into human form and that was god. In saying, once jesus was dead - god would be dead, if jesus doesn't know, god doesn't know etc. The very second you (the theist/bible) makes a clear distinction between the "two", you cannot argue that they are one. Yes, christianity is a polytheistic religion. The actual god has been forgotten, the priest is being worshipped.

"Hebrews 5:4
No one takes this honour upon himself; he must be called by God, just as Aaron was. 5So Christ also did not take upon himself the glory of becoming a high priest. But God said to him,
   "You are my Son;
     today I have become your Father.” And he says in another place,
   "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.""

Let me rephrase that as it should appear:

"jesus took upon himself the honour of himself being a priest. He said to himself: "hey me, I'm a priest forever, so sayeth me".

None of this is apparent. The distinction between these "two" beings is evident and undeniable. These are not the same being by any understanding of the word "same". god has decided that jesus will be a priest forever - not a god, a priest - an intermediary between man and god - kinda like the pope. Now, needless to add as I have mentioned it before - jesus is not unique in this job, it has been done by others including melchizedek who is a truly eternal being, (never born/never dies). In fact, mel has one over on jesus as mel features in both the OT and NT. jesus does not.

melchizedek is named by name in both books. jesus - who you would claim is god, doesn't even get that honour. There is absolutely no mention of him until he is born to a human, (something melchizedek never went through), and then goes on to mention him as the firstborn of all creation, (something melchizedek outranks him on because melchizedek has always been).

Don't get me wrong, I do accept and understand his importance - hell, nobody is my friend unless they accept and love my daughter. She is the world to me and if anyone has issue with her they have issue with me. But my daughter is not me regardless to that. She is the most important, but she is not me.

There are many more quotes I could go into but I feel that this simple undeniable distinction between 'god' and his son is enough to make the point.

Christianity is polytheistic - and the worship doesn't even go to the god, (that's not ultimately a bad thing, I'd rather you kiss my daughters feet than mine).

That's a start, we'll see how it progresses

Snake :)

And:

No. You see... God is this FREAK 3 headed creature and we are made of His image.... :rolleyes:

Philippians 2:5-8

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Obedient to whom? Himself? A servant for himself? How self-serving, eh? :rolleyes:

John 1 also speaks of Jesus being part of the triune being. Read John 1:1-14 This talks about Jesus existing from the beginning in a different form who then became the form of Man. (Jesus as God)
Yes. A 3 headed god....:rolleyes:
Is this your god?
:rolleyes:

SnakeLord,

Good post. What do you think about the scriptures that say "the Father and I are One"? :)

She is the world to me and if anyone has issue with her they have issue with me. But my daughter is not me regardless to that.

but she's a part of you (your life/spirit). so you're spiritually one, like jesus and god.

the moon is like the daughter or son of earth. if the moon is harmed, earth will also be affected, because they share the same love, gravity. if the moon was destroyed, the life on earth might die.

Yes, and we are one with God and Jesus too. So...?

That doesn't mean we ARE God and Jesus.

but she's a part of you (your life/spirit). so you're spiritually one, like jesus and god.

While I'm not into all that spirit crapola, it is certainly suitable enough answer for TS' question.

Back