Smoking & Drinking when pregnant

Firefly

Registered Senior Member
Was having a discussion at work today, and there was an argument going on about drinking and smoking when pregnant. It was being argued that you were "allowed" to drink up to 7 units of alcohol a day without harming (or risk harming) the baby, and smoking did nothing other than possibly stunting the baby's growth.

Was wondering if anyone knew if this was true?

For personal reasons, I believe drinking and smoking are wrong

No matter how right this person at work was, a mother will do nothing to endanger her child.

Since mother and child use the same blood, it is not wise to drink or to smoke during pregnancy.

you really belive that no mother would do something that would harm her unborn child?

well i wont get into abortion but how many drug addicted babys are born each year?

Euhm, yes, that was a little optimistic :)

What I meant was that a woman who wants to take good care of her baby will not drink seven units of alcohol or smoke if someone tells her this will not harm the baby.

She will not take the risk, no matter how small.

A4Ever, v optimistic. I was discussing with a friend how I have another friend who still drink sand smokes when pregnant, and then this other girl interrupted to say she was pregnant (she had a lit cigarette in her hand) and she still drunk (though not up to 7 units, she got drunk after abt 2) :rolleyes:

Back