Registered Senior Member
Hello,

Samadhi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samadhi

Santhara
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santhara

Suicide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide

The above indicated aspects can have some resemblence with each other. Pls discuss,

1. Whether these are somewhat same or similar?

2. Can there be some real hidden beneficial purposes meant for health behind these concepts?

It looks bit odd that any religion can suggest suicidal persual esp. those whose main motto is "non-killing/Ahinsha".

Best wishes.

the conclusion of the vedas is that noone can be completely non violent - there are only examples of entities who ar e more violent or less violent.

One overcomes the unavoidable nature of sinning for one's subsistence by sacrifice.
In regard to eating

BG 3.13: The devotees of the Lord are released from all kinds of sins because they eat food which is offered first for sacrifice. Others, who prepare food for personal sense enjoyment, verily eat only sin.

when one is sinless one may be qualified for devotion to god with full determination

BG 7.28: Persons who have acted piously in previous lives and in this life and whose sinful actions are completely eradicated are freed from the dualities of delusion, and they engage themselves in My service with determination.

and when one is perfectly performing such service they are qualified for liberation

BG 18.54: One who is thus transcendentally situated at once realizes the Supreme Brahman and becomes fully joyful. He never laments or desires to have anything. He is equally disposed toward every living entity. In that state he attains pure devotional service unto Me.

BG 18.55: One can understand Me as I am, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, only by devotional service. And when one is in full consciousness of Me by such devotion, he can enter into the kingdom of God.

BG 18.56: Though engaged in all kinds of activities, My pure devotee, under My protection, reaches the eternal and imperishable abode by My grace.

in regards to samadhi there is Arjuna's q

BG 2.54: Arjuna said: O Kṛṣṇa, what are the symptoms of one whose consciousness is thus merged in transcendence (samādhi-sthasya — of one situated in trance)? How does he speak, and what is his language? How does he sit, and how does he walk?

krsna gives many indications in the verses that follow - and none of them have to do with killing yourself by starvation.
(although there are indications for regulated eating)

BG 6.16: There is no possibility of one's becoming a yogī, O Arjuna, if one eats too much or eats too little, sleeps too much or does not sleep enough.

BG 6.17: He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation and work can mitigate all material pains by practicing the yoga system.

Samadhi
(Sanskrit, lit. "establish, make firm") is a Hindu and Buddhist term that describes a non-dualistic state of consciousness in which the consciousness of the experiencing subject becomes one with the experienced object, and in which the mind becomes still (one-pointed or concentrated) though the person remains conscious. Sahaj samadhi is the effortless and continual state of perfection of a satguru. It varies from technical terms used to describe the higher levels of concentrated meditation, or dhyana, in Yogic schools, and is considered a precursor for enlightenment, or Nirvana, in Buddhism. It is the eighth and final limb of the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, and comprises the pinnacle of achievements in Samyama, the three-tiered practice of meditation including also dharana and dhyana.

Santhara
Santhara is the Jain religious ritual of voluntary death by fasting. Supporters of the practice believe that Santhara cannot be considered suicide, but rather something one does with full knowledge and intent, while suicide is viewed as emotional and hasty.

-When you reach Samadhi state is better to be death, you are not alive any more.
-Santhara is maybe voluntary death by a chosen people. To purify the body is ridiculous. When you die you die.
Those two are connected with suicide. I believe Jesus reached both or even more. He was probably hardy waiting to be nailed on the cross, he didn't show any resistance.

Getting nirvana, moksha, salvation is another concept, but pursuing/suggesting voluntary death by discontinuing food, water, medications etc. till death looks to bit odd...still interpreted spritual death.

There can be some religious/spritual indications to practice the extremes, which may not be practical/possible normally, but these are meant to die looks odd. Probably, the real intentions behind these indications may be different, but people taken it otherwise to the extreme religiously or otherwise.

Some health benefits may be possible by getting sucidal tendancies/thoughts(encouraging Apoptosis by cells which otherwise deviated as cancer cells ), depressions, fastings, aversions, lonely livings, avoiding lighted places, resting, medicating etc. but it is for death looks bit odd.

Many or most other species practice/follow naturally such things..fastings, aversions, lonely etc.) when they are sick and cure themselves from that. We may also get such emotions commonly, fastings/aversions, loss of hunger etc.,when sick or old, but our social practices may not be allowing to follow such natural initiations. Obiously, some casualities can be possible in serious/uncurable/lesser fittest cases.

In view of above, can these three be meant to get such natural initiations for getting cure of disorders, if curable, by practicing the extreme natural initiations?

the conclusion of the vedas is that noone can be completely non violent - there are only examples of entities who ar e more violent or less violent.

Love & violence (angels & devils, good deed and sin etc.) can be two natural mechanism to balance the other, if imbalanced. Look it is said; "everything fair in war and love" but it can be fair when other is imbalanced.

One overcomes the unavoidable nature of sinning for one's subsistence by sacrifice.
In regard to eating

BG 3.13: The devotees of the Lord are released from all kinds of sins because they eat food which is offered first for sacrifice. Others, who prepare food for personal sense enjoyment, verily eat only sin.

It can be "released from sins" for eating just for optimal need not for greed or luxuary due to killing any living being esp. which can interfere in nature progress/balance. Whether Killing/sacrifing a human even for need--is a sin or good act?

when one is sinless one may be qualified for devotion to god with full determination

He can be alike god, but can it be possible in current age to become somewhat alike adam or eve before eating the fruit...means with origional/ nil-mutated DNA?

BG 7.28: Persons who have acted piously in previous lives and in this life and whose sinful actions are completely eradicated are freed from the dualities of delusion, and they engage themselves in My service with determination.

and when one is perfectly performing such service they are qualified for liberation

Possible, if anyone's DNA can be without mutation. Otherwise, all bondings in body are to be freed.

BG 18.54: One who is thus transcendentally situated at once realizes the Supreme Brahman and becomes fully joyful. He never laments or desires to have anything. He is equally disposed toward every living entity. In that state he attains pure devotional service unto Me.

God is said to not bonded, omini-present......., someone alike god should posess such qualities of god.

BG 18.55: One can understand Me as I am, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, only by devotional service. And when one is in full consciousness of Me by such devotion, he can enter into the kingdom of God.

BG 18.56: Though engaged in all kinds of activities, My pure devotee, under My protection, reaches the eternal and imperishable abode by My grace.
Getting Divya dristhi, becoming alike god or emerging into god/prime force can mean, capable of seing indescribable one.

in regards to samadhi there is Arjuna's q

BG 2.54: Arjuna said: O Kṛṣṇa, what are the symptoms of one whose consciousness is thus merged in transcendence (samādhi-sthasya — of one situated in trance)? How does he speak, and what is his language? How does he sit, and how does he walk?

krsna gives many indications in the verses that follow - and none of them have to do with killing yourself by starvation.
(although there are indications for regulated eating)

BG 6.16: There is no possibility of one's becoming a yogī, O Arjuna, if one eats too much or eats too little, sleeps too much or does not sleep enough.

BG 6.17: He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation and work can mitigate all material pains by practicing the yoga system.

As such, Fasting and other practices can be meant to cure the extreme sicknesses if curable. If cured, start refreshed, not sucide which can be extreme sin...i.e. intentionally killing your own cells which may be alike your first children. Still, fruits, seeds etc., as they seprate from mother plant, when fully/optimally riped is indicative in "mahamritunjay mantra".

http://kamalkapoor.com/vedicmantras/mahamritunjayaMantra.asp

Whether getting emotions and mood changes esp. suicidal tendancies can have some natural body's mechanism for cure?

Back