Six Dead After Hunters Become the Hunted; Minnesota Man Held

Combine

Back from the Dead!!!!!
Registered Senior Member
BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - As several deer hunters made their way through the woods of northern Wisconsin on Sunday, they were startled to come upon a stranger in their tree stand. But what happened next was even more astonishing.

Asked to leave, the trespasser, wearing blaze-orange and carrying a semiautomatic assault rifle, opened fire on the hunters and didn’t stop until his 20-round clip was empty, leaving five people dead at the scene and three wounded, authorities said. One of the wounded hunters died Monday...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6551094/

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be moved to world events, I wonder if this weapon fit under the assault weapons ban that was repelled.

ElectricFetus said:
This should be moved to world events, I wonder if this weapon fit under the assault weapons ban that was repelled.

No, according to the news its been used in wisconsin for years. If you want to read more detail about this event go to www.startribune.com They require registration so, if you dont want to register, do www.bugmenot.com But they only send an fyi (startribune) newsletter once in awhile, if you do register.
<BR>&nbsp;

I found it interesting that the sherriff reported the native-born Americans' version of events as if they were fact and as if he were there. That's unprofessional. He should be careful to say that is the story he was told by them. The killer may need a trial far away from that place.

Thanks. Based on that report, Vang's done for. He admits shooting somebody he knew to be unarmed, in the back as they were running away no less. He should have got a lawyer. It amazes me when people waive their right to a lawyer and start blabbing away.

What good would a lawyer have done? Ballistics would almost certainly have linked him to the killing, as well as the other circumstantial evidence.

zanket said:
Thanks. Based on that report, Vang's done for. He admits shooting somebody he knew to be unarmed, in the back as they were running away no less. He should have got a lawyer. It amazes me when people waive their right to a lawyer and start blabbing away.

On the other hand it does state that Vang was shot at first so it COULD be self defense when he shot back at those who shot at him.

zanket said:
It amazes me when people waive their right to a lawyer and start blabbing away.
Very true, even if they happen to be innocent.

:m: Peace.

cosmictraveler said:
On the other hand it does state that Vang was shot at first so it COULD be self defense when he shot back at those who shot at him.

That is assuming Vangs version is correct. Personally, I dont think it is the correct version. Vang has ALOT to lose being charged with 6 counts of murder, and 2 attempted murder.

He left the scene of a shooting. He did nothing to try to save a single one of these people who had not shot at him (he alleges one shot was fired, and he shot that person). He also turned his vest around to have the camo showing, rather than the blaze orange.When he came upon the two people who gave him a ride out of the forest, he did not ask to be taken to law enforcement, he did not say "people need help back there, call 911". The person who gave Vang the ride out states Vang asked for a ride because he was lost. He made no indication that he had left a bloody trail of carnage behind him.

I dont know of a single occasion where (if it is even true) shouting racial slurs at another is a reason to kill people. Nor is there any circumstance where you can shoot a property owner, in the back, when they are running away, unarmed. And I am pretty sure, walking up to a person you just shot, stating "you're not dead yet" and taking another shot at them (Vangs own statement), is in any way, anything other than criminal homicide 2nd degree minimum, probably 1st degree.

Currently, they are exploring another case in 2001 where another hunter was shot twice in the back, around 80 miles away. That hunter died. The description from that case is of 3 asian men.

And as of this day, they have not found the other two asian hunters that were with Vang. They have not come forward.

<BR>&nbsp;

I think Vang’s version might as well be true, its just a damming as the other side version, in both version Vang is guilty of several counts of murder.

geodesic said:
What good would a lawyer have done? Ballistics would almost certainly have linked him to the killing, as well as the other circumstantial evidence.

Good point.

In this case I'd tend to believe the middle ground. I'll bet Vang was called a racial slur and shot at, and then he went berserk.

Lots of unanswered questions but there better be a lid put on it or its gonna be hell to find jurors. Either way the case better be outside of Wisconsin. I don't think any impartial trials are possible there at this point.

Back