sin eaters

GodLied

Registered Senior Member
Just saw a slow movie about sin eaters. Hmm, is there anything anyone knows about such people? Are they any different than the sale of soap on a roap to wash away sins? Does anyone in this forum practice the old art of eating the sins of others?

If you are a sin eater, let us know about your experiences.

GodLied.

If you are a sin eater, let us know about your experiences
well one time I was totally chowing on a sodomy sub and I ... wait, what the hell are you talking about?

I think it's an ancient Gaelic tradition. They were people who were appointed to symbolically absolve the sins of society by "eating them", like priests. They were outcasts but were supported by the community. I don't know much else - have you tried google?

Originally posted by GodLied
----------
Just saw a slow movie about sin eaters. Hmm, is there anything anyone knows about such people? Are they any different than the sale of soap on a roap to wash away sins? Does anyone in this forum practice the old art of eating the sins of others? If you are a sin eater, let us know about your experiences.
----------
(Sounds something like an 'empath.' Your reference to "soap-on-a-rope" just gave away your age! I remember it well!)

Originally posted by Dr Lou Natic
well one time I was totally chowing on a sodomy sub and I ... wait, what the hell are you talking about?

I referenced sin eaters which were the primary subject of the movie ORDER. Although slow, I watched the entire movie. Sin eaters eat the sins of those rejected by the Church.

At one time I recall someone telling me how a church sold soap on a roap to wash away one's sins. To me, soap on a rope served similar purposes as sin eaters.

JMG.

Originally posted by Jenyar
I think it's an ancient Gaelic tradition. They were people who were appointed to symbolically absolve the sins of society by "eating them", like priests. They were outcasts but were supported by the community. I don't know much else - have you tried google?

I did not try google yet because some answers from sciforums generate perspectives not necessarily found using google.

Thank you for your answer. I am fairly certain your answer coincides with the movie's description of the same practice. However, the movie suggested sin eaters live hundreds of years. Do you find that a movie falsehood or a depiction of what is actually percieved by some about sin eaters?

JMG.

Re: Re: sin eaters

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
----------
Just saw a slow movie about sin eaters. Hmm, is there anything anyone knows about such people? Are they any different than the sale of soap on a roap to wash away sins? Does anyone in this forum practice the old art of eating the sins of others? If you are a sin eater, let us know about your experiences.
----------
(Sounds something like an 'empath.' Your reference to "soap-on-a-rope" just gave away your age! I remember it well!)

Properties of an empath is why we have words like empathy. Hmm, an empath sounds like a counselor. Sin eaters served a similar purpose of healing troubled minds; but, a sin eater removed the trouble whereas an empath might have assisted another to live with the trouble by forming a common understanding between the empath and the subject. Hmm. I might be wrong.

JMG.

Re: Re: Re: sin eaters

----------
Properties of an empath is why we have words like empathy. Hmm, an empath sounds like a counselor. Sin eaters served a similar purpose of healing troubled minds; but, a sin eater removed the trouble whereas an empath might have assisted another to live with the trouble by forming a common understanding between the empath and the subject. Hmm. I might be wrong.
----------
(An empath can take on the troubles of someone. Instead of 'sympathy' where one 'consoles' another, an empath tends to 'soak up' another's problems spiritually. It's not easy being an empath, because sometimes you feel that you have taken on too much and it weighs you down spiritually. I've never heard of 'sin eaters,' but I have heard of 'devouring one's spirit.' People who are spiritually empty tend to seek out those who have a strong spirit (they can see their auras een if they don't admit it). Those spiritually empty people 'devour' the spirit of those who have more. They seek you out like a bad virus. They're everywhere. Their only goal in life is to find spiritual people to devour their soul. A good example on sciforums is Jenyar.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: sin eaters

----------
----------
(An empath can take on the troubles of someone. Instead of 'sympathy' where one 'consoles' another, an empath tends to 'soak up' another's problems spiritually. It's not easy being an empath, because sometimes you feel that you have taken on too much and it weighs you down spiritually. I've never heard of 'sin eaters,' but I have heard of 'devouring one's spirit.' People who are spiritually empty tend to seek out those who have a strong spirit (they can see their auras een if they don't admit it). Those spiritually empty people 'devour' the spirit of those who have more. They seek you out like a bad virus. They're everywhere. Their only goal in life is to find spiritual people to devour their soul. A good example on sciforums is Jenyar.)

Thank you for the correction. An empath does sound like a sin eater. Hmm. Do empaths have average lifetimes or above average lifetimes?

JMG.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sin eaters

----------
Thank you for the correction. An empath does sound like a sin eater. Hmm. Do empaths have average lifetimes or above average lifetimes?
----------
(God, I'm not an expert in this field, but from what I know about empaths, I would think that their spiritual mission on Earth would cause their lives to be somewhat short-lived. Of course, I'm speaking for the wear and tear it would cause me! I don't really know any statistics about these people, but they always say "the good die young!"

originally posted by Medicine*Woman
Those spiritually empty people 'devour' the spirit of those who have more. They seek you out like a bad virus. They're everywhere. Their only goal in life is to find spiritual people to devour their soul.
originally posted by Medicine*Woman
An empath can take on the troubles of someone. Instead of 'sympathy' where one 'consoles' another, an empath tends to 'soak up' another's problems spiritually.
I'm curious: how do you distinguish between a spiritual "parasite" in the first quote, and an empath as in the second quote? Personal preference?

Spiritual parasite

----------
I'm curious: how do you distinguish between a spiritual "parasite" in the first quote, and an empath as in the second quote? Personal preference?
----------
(One is spiritually empty, and the other is spiritually full. One feeds off the other. Obviously, you're the former.)

Re: Spiritual parasite

(One is spiritually empty, and the other is spiritually full. One feeds off the other. Obviously, you're the former.)
And you know my spirit by reading my posts? Strange that I completely fit your description of an empath as well as one who is spiritually empty. People I barely know come to me for comfort or advice out of nowhere, as if they sense I would care. But at the same time I seem to attract people like you and ConsequentAtheist who seem to think I'm a dishonest compulsive liar out to leech on the weak and ignorant.

You display a lot of hatred for someone who is supposed to be enlightened. I know you don't agree with everything I say, but that doesn't make me a criminal. Otherwise you have a feeling for truth, but you wrap it around you like it belongs to you alone.

Re: Re: Spiritual parasite

And you know my spirit by reading my posts? Strange that I completely fit your description of an empath as well as one who is spiritually empty. People I barely know come to me for comfort or advice out of nowhere, as if they sense I would care.

I believe you Jenyar.

Saying that Jenyar is an empath or spiritually empty is not right...a little misguided maybe, but empty, I don't think so.

Sometimes I wish that Jenyar can see a different way, I wish he can see the creator that created me and him so many miles and countries away to be united only through faith in him. I wish he can see the one underlying message of all religions...believe in god, the hereafter, and work rightousness. I wish he would remove from his head all symbols, figures of speaches, trinity and multiplicity, and return to the simple message of Jesus. I wish he can actually converse with Jesus and learn that Jesus worshipped the same god that created us all and our love for Jesus only stems from our faith in that god that created us all. I wish he would do Jesus justice and honor his message. Appointing the messanger king is an equal crime if not worse than beheading the messanger....for both parties missed the point. Jenyar strikes me as a passionate caring person that I would indeed go to for advice. He is trapped in his own thoughts though that has been manipulated for years by his surroundings.

He is working too hard for the wrong team (the church) in the name of Jesus, while Jesus worked alone in the name of god. One that works alone like jesus is a true leader and others copy the effort. Jenyar should be mimicing Jesus and working for Jenyar in the name of god and in fear and respect of god, just as Jesus worked in the name of god in fear and respect of god, and that's really the only bad thing I can say about Jenyar.

----------
And you know my spirit by reading my posts? Strange that I completely fit your description of an empath as well as one who is spiritually empty. People I barely know come to me for comfort or advice out of nowhere, as if they sense I would care. But at the same time I seem to attract people like you and ConsequentAtheist who seem to think I'm a dishonest compulsive liar out to leech on the weak and ignorant.

You display a lot of hatred for someone who is supposed to be enlightened. I know you don't agree with everything I say, but that doesn't make me a criminal. Otherwise you have a feeling for truth, but you wrap it around you like it belongs to you alone.
----------
(Religious differences aside, I feel you have a "defensive" spirit, and I don't see how someone so "defensive" as you can actually be an empath, although you may be, because I don't know you personally. Your writings say a lot about what's going on in your psyche. Your defensiveness is overwhelming your logic and ability to communicate effectively. This is why I said you've been "dancing around the issues." You feel the need to "over-compensate" about religious issues as well as back up your own thoughts with paragraph after paragraph of Biblical quotes, because I think deep down, you don't trust yourself. You have tremendous self-doubt. Your insecurities are showing in your posts. I wouldn't say you have "attracted" CA and me. You "chose" to write "defensive" posts repeatedly on the forum, and you chose to become an ineffectual target to whom we responded. If this has anything to do with "attraction," then I would say subconsciously you tend to attract people who like to beat you up! Actually, I can't speak for CA, but I generally don't read all of your posts, because I don't take them that seriously. They're too lengthy, redundant and "defensive." However, I don't see you as you think I see you when you stated that you're a "dishonest compulsive liar out to leech on the weak and ignorant." Moreover, I see you as an insecure, confused, "defensive" Xian who has done more harm to your religion, by defending it so fiercely, than good. Your "defensive" stance weakens your position. Perhaps, if we could delve deeper into your psyche, I would say your statement "a dishonest compulsive liar out to leech on the weak and ignorant," is probably how you see yourself, because this is how you appear in your posts.)

I remember watching an old Twilight Zone (or One Step Beyond - something like those shows) episode that dealt with sin eating and, from what I recall, Sin Eaters ate the sins of the dead. I ran a search on it and came up with this from E. Cobham Brewer 1810–1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.

"Persons hired at funerals in ancient times, to take upon themselves the sins of the deceased, that the soul might be delivered from purgatory."

Gruesome! :eek:

Originally posted by PuPuPlatter42
I remember watching an old Twilight Zone (or One Step Beyond - something like those shows) episode that dealt with sin eating and, from what I recall, Sin Eaters ate the sins of the dead. I ran a search on it and came up with this from E. Cobham Brewer 1810–1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.

"Persons hired at funerals in ancient times, to take upon themselves the sins of the deceased, that the soul might be delivered from purgatory."

Gruesome! :eek:

The soul, sometimes reportedly recorded in film and video as it leaves a carcass, might be consumed. However, if it normally disappears whether someone eats it or not, it is hard to verify that a person could absorb the soul. If such a consumption would allow a person to live longer than the average person, sin eating would be a fountain of youth. I seriously doubt sin eating extends lifetime of a sin eater. What do you think is true? Will a sin eater extend his/her life by eating the souls of others?

JMG.

Jenyar, an empath cannot be simultaneously empty because an empath would fill up from others.

Also, those who are weak and ignorant tend to subscribe to something without thinking critically. So, a best time for churches to recruit converts is when converts have an emotional, social, or mental deficit. Such times exist with depressing events such as medical problems, financial problems, domestic problems, educational problems, companion acquisition problems and so on and so forth. In fact, some churches advertise to people with particular kinds of problems. Helping those people resolve their problems allows churches to profit from donations and religious service fees. An example of the profitability of church operations is the local couple convicted of welfare fraud for not reporting collection plate, wedding, funeral and other religious service revenue which amounted to US$48,000.00 per year with no rent expenses.

Jenyar, nobody is a criminal for having an opinion; however, certain opinions outside the scope of this forum may grant special attention of US Secret Service, FBI, CIA, and the Israeli Secret Service (whatever they are called). Depending on the opinion, the US Secret Service can allert the FBI to document an opinionated American, the CIA might monitor an opinionated person, and the Israelis will assassinate anyone whose opinion genders mortal sentiment towards their kind. Oh, when opinion is slander and libel, it is a crime.

Hmm, if you are supposed to be enlightened, do you consider yourself a Holy Prophet?

Truth's only belong to those who copywrite, trademark, and/or patent them. In some countries US property rights are not observed. In those countries that observe property rights, possession expires. The only way one can own a truth to theirself and nobody else is to not advise anyone on it and hope that nobody ever realizes it on their own.

Now that you are enlightened, your soul is consoled. Enlightened one, why are you so inclined?

:)

GodLied.

originally posted by M*W
Religious differences aside, I feel you have a "defensive" spirit, and I don't see how someone so "defensive" as you can actually be an empath, although you may be, because I don't know you personally. Your writings say a lot about what's going on in your psyche. Your defensiveness is overwhelming your logic and ability to communicate effectively. This is why I said you've been "dancing around the issues." You feel the need to "over-compensate" about religious issues as well as back up your own thoughts with paragraph after paragraph of Biblical quotes, because I think deep down, you don't trust yourself. You have tremendous self-doubt. Your insecurities are showing in your posts.
I am also sensitive to the kinds of "spirit" people have - including my own. I try so hard to make myself understood that I have trouble making myself clear. And I tend to use a lot of metaphorical or emotional language which also throws people off. I really am not defensive (lol - I know, that's a defensive statement :D ) but that is the risk anybody runs when they defend a subject that is not principly a personal one.

I think one reason my posts seem so defensive because I frequently try to discuss things other people have already made up their minds about. In reality, I'm much less "argumentative". These forums basically represent the whole of that side of me. I'm interested mainly in religious issues, which is why I seem to "over-compensate" in this field. I see the forums as a whetstone on which I can sharpen and refine what I believe, rather than try to change what others believe (I also do my best to clear up misunderstandings - including my own - while I'm at it).

Outside the forums, my philosophy is that love is more important than religion. Unfortunately empathy is hard to exercise textually, especially when the main activity is being involved in differences of opinion. Facts have no feelings, and that's why I have no qualms about taking in a position for the sake of argument and see where it leads me. I try to separate people from opinions as far as possible, although it is natural that people take some things personally. But if you examine my posts, you'll find I never belittle or try to humiliate anybody. There are people who aggravate me, but they can usually expect my reaction.

originally posted by Flores
I wish he can actually converse with Jesus and learn that Jesus worshipped the same god that created us all and our love for Jesus only stems from our faith in that god that created us all. I wish he would do Jesus justice and honor his message.
I make it a point to converse with Jesus - through everything I know about him. I do not believe his message was hijacked and twisted, and that is the difference between us. I try to live the kind of life he described in the Bible, and the kind of person I am able to be (or striving to be) as a result, proves to me that it he truly preached what the Bible says He did.

There is a short book you should read. It is called At the feet of the master by Sadhu Sundar Singh (originally written in Urdu). I think it will help you understand what I'm saying, and show you something of the love Jesus taught.

Appointing the messanger king is an equal crime if not worse than beheading the messanger....for both parties missed the point. Jenyar strikes me as a passionate caring person that I would indeed go to for advice. He is trapped in his own thoughts though that has been manipulated for years by his surroundings.
I did not appoint the messenger king - He was simply crucified as one. But I do believe in the purity and power of his message - it has made a difference in many lives. True wisdom only comes from actually serving God, and that is my priority. I'm constantly freeing myself from indoctrination and surroundings, but I don't deny my responsibility towards it. The love I experience in my life is a direct result of living in such a society, and all the suffering I have experienced stand in direct opposition of this love. I can't stop loving God - it is not in my power.

origninally posted by GodLied
Jenyar, an empath cannot be simultaneously empty because an empath would fill up from others.
I'm not very familiar with the definion and capabilities of an "empath" as such, but from my own experience I can tell you that knowing yourself is the first step towards knowing others. Spiritually empty people need love, but want everything else. "Empaths", I think, will give love even if they don't have anything else.

Also, those who are weak and ignorant tend to subscribe to something without thinking critically. So, a best time for churches to recruit converts is when converts have an emotional, social, or mental deficit. Such times exist with depressing events such as medical problems, financial problems, domestic problems, educational problems, companion acquisition problems and so on and so forth. In fact, some churches advertise to people with particular kinds of problems. Helping those people resolve their problems allows churches to profit from donations and religious service fees.
I have to take exception to this, although I know that what you say is true in many cases. The rich become richer and the poor become poorer. But you are making an unfair generalization. My grandfather was a missionary doctor working among people who could not afford health care, while also making a living with his normal practice. He did not become rich from serving their needs, I can tell you that much. My other grandfather was a distinguished professor who studied in Switzerland, but spent his life teaching to Africans at a small university during the apartheid era. I grew up with love first, religion second. But the truth is they both felt they had a calling from God, that prevented them from accepting more "rewarding" positions even though they were sometimes offered, or feeling failure because their work would not be officially recognized and even scorned.

They weren't "recruiting converts", but everybody knew they weren't doing what they did for personal gain. These are just personal examples. Churches have similar obligations towards communities. Exploitation is not one of them. They should rather be seen as spiritual hospitals - which does of course attract people with problems. These were the people for whom Jesus came to earth. Not for those who already have everything they want. If you don't need the church, don't go. If you think you don't need God, don't believe. But there are people dedicating their lives to help others, and I can't see anything wrong with that.

Back