Should we give up hope on embryonic stem cells?

Dave_Mebo

Registered Member
From what's been happening around the world, there's been a lot of back and forth on the research and legislations related to stem cells. While ESC's were the most promising at the beginning of this movement, are we just holding on to them now for good times sake?

Obviously, the reason I am asking is because I feel we are onto the next generations of stem cell treatments. You look at the Nobel prize winners and what they've been able to do with IPSC's. A much more legitimate method, if you ask most in the scientific community. I've even been reading about a new iteration of stem cells. Rongxiang Xu, a Chinese researcher, has been working on ways to cultivate stem cells from somatic cells IN THE BODY.

In light of all that. Can we please let go of embryonic stem cells? Unless someone has a reason to keep them around, but they'd make terrible paperweights.

The goal is to someday take cells from the body, make then totipotent, grow tissues or even organs from them (somehow) and then put them back in the body, no immune system rejection. Embryonic stem sells do provide a model of what a true totipotent cell is, but would make nearly as poor a tissue or organ replacement as existing transplants. Even so significant medical science as been undertaken with them, and is being still. If prolifers feel so bad about it I guess it can be forbidden, but it will only slow medical science, meaning extending the suffering and death of already living breathing people.

Back