Should sterile heterosexual couples be allowed to marry?

Medicine*Woman

Jesus: Mythstory--Not History!
Valued Senior Member
M*W: This question came up in a conversation recently. Some opponents of gay marriage say that gays shouldn't be allowed to marry. But isn't that the same thing as sterile heterosexual couples marrying? Sterile heterosexual couples can't produce children just like gay parents can't produce children. Should the goverment require all people, before they can marry, to get fertility tests?

I'm just throwing this out there for some comments and ideas. It sure doesn't seem fair to me.

Some days, it seems obvious

Sometimes I think that one's willingness or desire to marry is the surest sign that they should not.

Marriage itself is ultimately political, religious and financial. Of course, there is more to it, but those three are the basis of the documentation...

It seems logical that people will reserve it for their own religion, politics or financial concerns.

I cannot think of anything regarding politics, finances or religion that is FAIR in the least.

Some opponents of gay marriage say that gays shouldn't be allowed to marry. But isn't that the same thing as sterile heterosexual couples marrying? Sterile heterosexual couples can't produce children just like gay parents can't produce children.
As I'm sure everyone knows by now, Washington DC legalized gay marriage last month. It's now legal in the three capital cities of North America: Toronto, Washington and Mexico City. Can the rest of the world be far behind?

The District has a huge poverty problem. A high percentage of the well-paid government employees moved out to the Maryland and Virgina suburbs over the past five decades, as freeways and a subway were built to make commuting possible. The city actually lost one-third of its population. (Be patient, this all becomes relevant at the end!)

So rather than create a gigantic bureaucracy, they outsource many of their charity programs. The Catholic Church is one of the biggest providers. (Don't even ask about separation of church and state!) When the gay marriage law passed, the Archdiocese said they were going to cancel their contract. Gay marriage is against their doctrine, so they would not be able to comply with the law requiring married gay employees to have the same benefits as married straight employees.

But eventually it was pointed out to them that divorce is also against church doctrine. Yet they never threatened to withhold benefits from employees who were divorced and remarried. They were accused of "selective doctrinal enforcement."

So the church "compromised." They did not cancel their contract. They merely canceled the benefits for ALL married employees.

Point: Never expect religious people to be rational.

Back