Should I shave my pussy?

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
Dear moderator!

Before you delete this thread, please take a look at this pictures:

http://neoncobra.blogspot.com/2007/01/shaving-cat.html

This thread is about shaving cats for the summer. I have a big-boned (OK, fat) cat and she sheds quite a lot. She might be happier during summertime shaved.

Please note that the face and the paws are left alone, because cats need fur on them. The link argues that some cats actually like to be shaved, and if dogs can be shaved, why not cats?

What do you guys think?

P.S.: I know the title is missleading, but it sure made you look... :)

It all depends on the temperature, pets that are kept indoors or are in the summer heat might need to be shaved or thinned to help them stay cool, if they get overheated they will be lazy, tired and can cause ear problems from sweat I think. If you are getting a pet that will be living in the house it is good to get one that has short thin fur.

Don't do it if the cat spends a lot of time outdoors. The fur protects them from the sunlight.

...pets that are kept indoors or are in the summer heat might need to be shaved or thinned to help them stay cool,...
Fur is natural for a cat, or most animals from warm places especially if out in the sun. Dark fur is more common than light, white is essentially non existent until you get to very cold climates. When the sun light stirkes the outter part of the dark fur, it is absorbed some distance from the body and the heat can be transferred to the air. I would be concerned for an "un-natural cat" without this protective fur in strong sun light.

This is just one more example of one of my favorite (and original) phrases: "My body is a lot smarter than I am."

As application of this I try to live much like I imagine mankind lived during most of his evolutionary period. - Thus, I have always eaten food that fell on the floor, gnawed the soft ends off bones, tried to run or swim every day, avoided excessive soap baths (often just plain water shower), etc. for 60+ years.
Nice to have medical science now confirming that some dirt ingested* is good for you, that bones, which contain exactly the mineral mix you need, are better than Calcium pills, that modern man does not exercise enough, natural oils your skin makes are far superior to those expensive ones that come from bottles. etc. (Thank God the cosmetic industry has not yet replaced ear wax with an expensive replacement, but give them a decade or so more.)
---------------------------------------
*Arthritis, allergies, MS, and many other mal function of the immune system seem to be less frequent in populations less concerned with keeping food “supper clean.” - As if when the immune system has little to do, it will find work by attacking your own body. Obviously if you eat the wrong germs, you may get sick but then the body can usually take care of the invaders and you will be “better than ever.” - Not the case for immune system diseases - they tend to grow steadily worse.

Oh yes, it you have a pussy in the house, make sure to exercise it often. ;) - I do, and I am in my seventies now.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had Persian cats in Los Angeles for many years. We always shaved them down in the summertime. They got very active after a shave, the fur was obviously making them uncomfortable.

Back